“Great B & B in Interesting Hibbing, MN”

Mitchell-Tappan House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hibbing
Mitchell-Tappan House
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hibbing
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great B & B in Interesting Hibbing, MN”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was our first visit to northern Minnesota, occasioned by a wedding in Hibbing. Pam, our hostess in the B & B was very pleasant and accommodating for our 3-day stay. Her breakfasts were filling, always including fresh fruit, choice of fruit juices, some kind of eggs and sausage, pastries and good coffee. The house and rooms were over-stuffed with Victorian objects and artificial flowers but well-kept and pretty. Bed was comfortable. Some rooms had to share a bath, but Pam kindly didn't book anyone into the room with which we would have had to share the hall bathroom. She recommended wonderfully interesting tourist sights in Hibbing: Greyhound Bus museum, Hibbing High School from 1920 (really amazing), and Hall-Rust iron ore mines and local restaurants. All in all, a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with private bath, if possible
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dr_J_F_M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the elegant Mitchell-Tappan House last weekend in Hibbing, MN. It was undoubtedly the nicest B and B we have ever experienced. The room was beautiful , comfortable, and clean with all the extras one enjoys at a first class place, such as Ghirardelli dark chocolates on the bureau and a new tube of toothpaste in the bathroom. Pam fixed a delicious and magnificent three course gourmet breakfast both mornings and kindly allowed our son, who we were visiting, to join us. She is a gracious hostess and we will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oliver Room, which was quite large and lovely, but we saw other lovely rooms which...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Connie V
Farmington, Illinois
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at Mitchell-Tappan House on our road trip through Minnesota in our classic1966 Shelby GT350H. The Oliver Room was clean, cozy and entirely satisfactory. The breakfast was delicious and we had a nice visit with another guest during our meal. Pam was a wonderful hostess and we would highly recommend a stay at her home.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 66Shelby
Waverly, Iowa
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My husband, 13-year-old son, and I were in the Hibbing area for a Tang-Soo-Do (karate) tournament the weekend of 16SEP11. When I called Pam and made the reservation, I told her that we wouldn't be able to arrive until a little after her desired check-in time. She said no problem. Then I told her that our son would have to be at his tournament early both Saturday and Sunday, and that we would just take him and then return to the house for breakfast without him each day, and I asked if this was okay, which was fine. When we arrived, after being shown to our 3rd floor suite in a beautiful and cheery Victorian home, she told us that she would get up early to serve us our breakfast so that my son could eat and we wouldn't have to make two trips to the event in Chisholm. Talk about great service! Pam was so friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The suite (two bedrooms, a common room, and a bathroom) was clean with every detail accounted for, including hot chocolate mix, extra blankets, and wifi. Her breakfasts were absolutely delicious and served so elegantly - between the two mornings, we enjoyed souffle, quiche, fresh fruit, a local Croation date bread that was superb, blueberry muffins, bacon, sausage, juice, and coffee...all very tasty. We had no idea what a neat area the Iron Range is until visiting, and we are already thinking about a family vacation there and taking all three of our sons. There is a great museum in Chisholm, a lookout over the open mine area, and numerous things to do as a family. There are lots of neat local restaurants that we would love to try. Pam gave us great ideas for how to spend our limited free time while we were there, and we enjoyed her B&B tremendously.

Room Tip: They all look good! Some have their own bath. Two have their own kitchenette facilities, including...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank LPotter_10
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mitchell Tappan House this week and had a very enjoyable experience. We've stayed in lots of B&Bs and this one is really great. Pam pays great attention to detail and goes out of her way to make sure you have everything you need for a comfortable stay.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank foxpalm
Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed June 3, 2011

My wife, Christina, and I stayed at the Mitchell-Tappan House over the 2011 Memorial Day Weekend, when the town of Hibbing hosts its annual Dylan Days festival. If you know anything about Hibbing, you know that besides being the boyhood home of Bob Dylan, it is “the town that moved,” in that when iron ore was found underneath the site of the town, the citizens chose to transport their buildings a few miles to the south. The Mitchell-Tappan House was the first house to be moved back in the early part of the 20th century.

This is one of the nicest B&Bs I’ve ever seen. The house itself is beautiful, but Innkeepers Pam and Mike Turnbull have kept this historic structure in such good repair and have decorated it with such style, you’ll find staying here to be an unforgettable experience. The first-floor “common areas” are all sunny and bright, and throughout you’ll find local Iron Range artifacts. By that, I don’t mean a bunch of mining gear or anything that would have been out of place in the private elegant home of a turn-of-the-century mining official. (The house was built for the Superintendent of the Oliver Iron Mining Company in 1897.) Everything seems historic without being kitschy. Everything is very tasteful yet still very interesting and unique. (The architecture in the town of Hibbing is the same way, a conflation of styles that must be seen to be believed.)

I saw a few of the bedrooms on the second floor, and each one is very spacious and should suit the needs of just about anyone. They’re all very bright and welcoming. We stayed on the third floor, which would have probably been the servants quarters in the original home, but don’t worry. I’m 6’2” and I never bumped my head. The ceilings are high and the décor is elaborate and interesting. The third floor features a large “living room” area that includes comfy chairs, tables, bureaus, etc. Two bedrooms, the Turnbull Room and the Chisolm Room branch off this living room area, as does the shower. The sink is in the large living area itself, which makes me think this was the servants’ quarters. You wouldn’t put a sink in the attic, would you?

Anyhow, Christina and I stayed in the Turnbull with its king bed, and nobody was in the Chisolm Room, which features two twin beds. This would be a great place for families with children, as the kids could stay in the Chisolm and the parents could stay in the Turnbull.

The décor of the third floor features historic athletic equipment like tennis racquets and bobsleds, old straw “boater” hats, children’s stuffed animals and evergreen decorations. It looks a lot like one of those HGTV show homes.

Breakfast is served at a specific time, which Ann confirms with you when you check in. Whatever you do, don’t miss the breakfast. Each day was something new, and many of the recipes reflect Minnesota traditions. The breakfasts here are some of the most carefully prepared I’ve ever experienced, and you can tell that Ann takes a lot of pride in what she brings to the table—and probably a lot of time too. I know it would take me forever if I were to try some of those recipes.

If you ask, Ann will also give you plenty of recommendations on what to do in the area. We were there for Dylan Days, so most of our schedule was already filled, but when we wanted to go for a drive that Sunday, Ann recommended several little towns to the North, a few attractions, and a great restaurant in Ely. The house itself is within walking distance of everything. Hibbing’s a very small town, but there’s a lot to see here if you take your time. I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DoctorLongGhost
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2010

My wife and I did a two week tour of several cities in Minnesota, including Grand Marais, Duluth & Hibbing. We were up there to escape the Florida heat and didn't really know what we were going to do, but turned out to have a really great vacation. Please see my other posts regarding lodging, meals, etc. if you are interested in a similar trip.

Regarding this B&B...excellent place to visit. This is similar to an image that pops into my head when describing your prototypical B&B. We ended up in Hibbing and weren't really sure what to do, but Pam gave us several options to keep busy. The town was very cute and we spent a lot of time walking around. A few spots weren't super nice, but nothing scary and most of the town was nice. Pam keeps the B&B extremely clean and well maintained, and it shows. She had some minor construction going on outside but was more than willing to chat with us when we tracked her down. We stayed in the room on the third floor and we were very pleased. Very nice bedroom and 'family room' area with plenty of room to spread out. Overall an excellent place to stay and the rates were great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank UF_RX_1999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hibbing
Hampton Inn Hibbing
#1 of 4 in Virginia
Super 8 Eveleth
Super 8 Eveleth
#1 of 2 in Eveleth

Been to Mitchell-Tappan House? Share your experiences!