“Almost wished we went hungry”

Sammy's Pizza & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Hibbing
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Homemade sauce with our secret mix of seasonings. Dough that's made fresh every morning. Specialty meats and real mozzarella cheese sliced in-house. The sounds of a crimped crust being cut into perfect bite-sized squares. That's what you'll find in our kitchen at Sammy's Pizza in Hibbing, MN. Our menu features award-winning pizzas, pastas, hot appetizers, wings, sub sandwiches, burgers, soups and salads. We also offer a daily all-you-can-eat lunch buffet.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I guess our first mistake was going for the buffet. It took 15 minutes for our server to come back to the table after we got our menus, so we had just started to help ourselves at the buffet. There were four cold partial pizzas, all with meat and no vegetables. I tried a piece of the beef and onion pizza, and it was greasy, cold and made of cardboard. The pasta was gluey with a tasteless red sauce (I am not sure if it was even tomato). The salad bar wasn't too shabby- the iceburg lettuce was fresh, and the accompanying sides of fresh peas, pickled beets and other veggies were good.

I had asked an employee if any new pizzas were coming out, and if I could get one with some vegetables on it... that took an additional 20 minutes. That whole time, the other pizzas were left there languishing, even though it was 12:30 on a Sunday. Despite thinking that Sunday noon was a safe time for a buffet, I am beginning to suspect that there might not be a "safe" time to eat at it.

2  Thank 2triscuit
There are newer reviews for Sammy's Pizza & Restaurant

Reviewed October 26, 2012

When people talk about pizza in Hibbing, one of the main places they mention is Sammy's. They still make their pizza the old fashioned way with the best thin crusts in town. The sauce and toppings are delicious and perfect together. Sometimes you just gotta have one. A variety of other Italian menu items at moderate prices and a cozy decor makes Sammy's a winner.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you're local and hate chains (Like Domino's and their cheese flavored cardboard) this is a good safe bet.

It's PRICEY....but it is consistent which we appreciate. The wings are great, they'll even deliver their delicious root beer, and the lunch buffet is always "safe". There's a few hidden gems on the menu (the mozzy sticks are to die for) but they sting in the pocketbook. Another small town monopoly which I cannot stand. They know we're hungry with few choices, commence price gauging.

I've always found the staff friendly and helpful.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Grew up in Duluth and crave Sammy's pizza. Everytime we have the opportunity, we stop into a Sammy's. This one was very nice!!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Sammy's Pizza as an eatery just isn't what it used to be! I think the pizza is very good but the staff is often curt and my most recent meal was the broasted chicken dinner pack. The mashed potatoes had dried up lumpy bits and it looked and tasted awful. The chicken selection was mostly wing selections instead of a good mix of everything. The garlic bread was forgotten and I won't even begin on the gravy. This was my second bad order within just a few months. It hasn't taken me three strikes to be out. Sammy's used to be a top notch place but the standards have clearly slipped drastically and I don't know what the person was thinking who packaged that poor excuse for a dinner.

1  Thank Leroy W