“Great local grub”

The Old Red Lion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Went for my Wife's Birthday with the extended family. Staff were very welcoming and got our drinks order in straight away. Great selection of ales.

Food was fantastic. You can tell from the taste that it is prime local produce. They were especially accommodating to a couple of our party who were an hour late, getting them food and drink very quickly.

Would recommend and definitely would go back

2  Thank Tarbun84

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I visited the Old Red Lion in Litchborough in February 2013 and had a wonderful meal with my family. All of the staff were friendly welcoming and an excellent service.

It was clear to see and taste that all of the food is home-made. The chips are as chips should be and excellent portion sizes even my husband was pleased with!

I was not sure if i had room for dessert but was pleased I found some space! I sampled the homemade sticky toffee pudding which was delicious and I can thoroughly recommend it. My husband had his dessert with custard, again home made and something not to be missed!

The restaurant is warm, clean and everyone is firendly. An excellent place for all the family. We will definately be returning

2  Thank KEG486
ben_aveling, Owner at The Old Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for a lovely review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Popped to The Old Red Lion for Sunday lunch and was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant was nice and warm, the menu was vast, so something for everyone and everything was reasonably priced.

We enjoyed three tasty courses - the chicken and mushroom pie special in particular was really good.

The staff were really friendly and happy which made the experience all the more enjoyable.

Look forward to returning to try some of their other homemade dishes.

2  Thank ChunkyChicken

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit. We all try our best to offer great food, service and value so its great when its recognised. We look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed January 2, 2013

went here with my friends for dinner.

Was surprised that the prices were very high for a country pub, and very hard chairs to sit on.

they had put candles in a mug on a table that look tatty!!!

we ordered our food, and it took 40mins for the starter to come, the service was slow to clear the plates and i even had to ask the waiter to clear the plates !!!

when the mains came, my steak was under cooked, so i sent it bk as bllod was pouring out and the chunky chips where horrible, it was like eating a potato !!!

the steak came bk but still not right, and my chips and peas where getting cold on the plate!!, so i sent it bk again, and 15 mins later it came bk cremated!!! it was supose to be med-rare!!!

my dinner was ruinned and at £14.95 i havent returned since!!!

we got no discount or anything for the ruined dinner.

the service and the food was terrible.

it this pub wants to improve, I suggest, they do propper chips, and spead up their service, and clear away plates instead of the waiters hanging around looking like they dont know what they are doing.

also they do not do childrens menu as we had to pay £7.95 for our daughter !!! we would be better off going to buddies for a steak, at least we would of had it cooked better and had quicker service.

2  Thank Diane J
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went there for special occasion Sunday lunch expecting prime litchborough pork it was the same as you would get anywhere 1 person ordered a pot of tea milk didn't arrive until the tea was cold 1 person ordered soup spoon didn't arrive till soup was cold the main course was cold on a hot plate apple sauce didn't arrive until half way through dinner then they had sold out of what most people wanted for desert over all not a good experience as it was a huge bill as there was 10 of us would not recommend and would not go back. One might think for a restaurant out of the way they might. Rely on return custom

2  Thank Liverpooldockd
ben_aveling, Owner at The Old Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your trip to our restaurant. The issues you mentioned have now been resolved with regular staff training. We hope to see you again. All the best. The old red lion