“First B&B experience...Expected better for what I paid, but enjoyed.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hastings
The Historic Inn on Ramsey Street
Ranked #1 of 3 Hastings B&B and Inns
Rochester, Minnesota
“First B&B experience...Expected better for what I paid, but enjoyed.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked a stay at the Rosewood to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. We booked the Mississippi Under the Stars suite ($279+tax). We arrived at 4pm (earliest scheduled check-in time) and rang the doorbell. Pam arrived in about 10 mins. There's a sign posted on the door saying it could take some time if she's helping others get checked in, so we expected a bit of a wait. We weren't sure if the doorbell rang or not since we couldn't hear it from the outside. Inside was dark so we actually weren't even sure if someone was there. We ended up ringing the bell again when another couple showed up to check in. We were showed to our rooms by Pam who gave us a nice tour and showed us where the ice cream and cookie jar were located :) The Mississippi Under the Stars suite is located in what would have been the attic of the house. It was quite warm. Temp said 77 degrees even though the a/c was set at 70. It was only mid-70's outside, so I'd hate to be there in really hot weather. The room was very clean, and of great size. There are two entrances to the suite, and the one is it's own stairway; however, the room is viewable from outside the door through a glass wall of sorts. We actually had someone come up the stairs and tried opening the door thinking it was another way up to their own room. Luckily we had that door locked. But like I said, they could still see in our room through the glass wall that only had a see-through drape hung over it. If you want true privacy, do not book this room. To their credit, they do have a sign at the bottom of the steps indicating that it's a private stairway. Someone obviously didn't see the sign. The Rosewood is about 4 blocks from downtown so it's an easy walk. Location was great. The bed was comfortable, but was actually two twin beds combined to form a king. When we went downstairs for ice cream before bed, there weren't enough clean spoons, so we ended up going into the kitchen and finding another. We could have rang the helper, but didn't feel we needed to bother. The sitting areas and porches are fantastic on the property. Sleeping was somewhat difficult due to what I believe were rattling air ducts in the walls as well as some kind of animal. Probably a mouse, bird or bat. We could hear it scratching against the wall by our heads. Wife didn't care for that much. Also ended up sleeping with the window open since it was cooler outside. A/C just wasn't able to keep up I guess. We had breakfast delivered to our suite in the morning. Food was very good. Would have liked more of it, but what we had was wonderful. Check-out is at noon. I ended up leaving a necklace in the room, and Pam was nice enough to mail it back to me. Overall, it was a nice stay, but I wouldn't book that room again. Not worth the extra cost of a normal room in the house in my opinion.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Mississippi Under the Stars room if it's hot outside. Also not worth the ext...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
classicrosewood, Owner at The Historic Inn on Ramsey Street, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
We appreciate praises and concerns. Thanks to this guest we did find there was indeed a squirrel in the top part of the peak of the roof area who has since been trapped and sent to a B & B at Carpenter Nature Center. We have no tolerance for anything that would disturb a guest's comfort here. We also have added a banner on the bottom of the private stairway in addition to the sign on the easel so that this "lost" guest situation would never happen again. We look forward to serving this guest another time and happy to hear they will return to try us again soon. . .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had stayed at the Rosewood a number of years ago and it was one of the first B&B’s at which we ever stayed. In the years that have followed, we have stayed at a number of other B&B’s and have gotten to see the good and the bad. We recently had a chance to revisit the Rosewood Inn and I can truly say that Pam and Dick really know how to do it right.

We arrived, rang the bell, and were greeted by Pam who had us come in and set our bags down while she showed us around the house. She pointed out the different common area and gave us a little history about the house and its original owners. She made sure to point out the collection of menus for various restaurants in town, gave us a sheet of events going on in town that weekend, and showed us a map of Hastings and pointed out the location of some sites to see.

There is spot that has a buzzer that she said could be rung in case something was needed and they weren’t around. They have a caretaker on the premises. Their cellphone numbers were also posted there, so you could reach them by phone, if needed. I later had to remind one of the guests about this, as she was having an issue with water in her room. In those situations it is very good to have quick access to someone to address the issue.

Pam then made sure to highlight the cookie jar and where coffee, hot chocolate, tea, and the fridge were located. The cookie jar was great. It reminded me of growing up at home (without a mother to warn you about spoiling your dinner!).

Since we were one of the first guests to arrive, she invited us to check out the other rooms. It was a nice way to scope out which room we would like to stay in next time.

After having a wonderful dinner in town and a dollar malt at the dairy, we came back and had a nice quiet evening. I read the history of the original owners of the house, how it had been Hastings' first hospital after their deaths, and how Pam and Dick saved it from being torn down after it was condemned in the 1980’s. Pam and Dick proudly tout the fact they utilized strong green ethics in the restoration and in the current running of the B&B. Some of these efforts might not be the cheaper route to go, but certainly have paid off in lessening the carbon footprint, which is priceless.

The bed was very comfortable and we slept well…so well we almost missed our breakfast time! They allow you to either dine in one of the main rooms downstairs or in the comfort or your own room. I was glad that we chose the latter, as we weren’t quite prepared to dine with others at that point. You also get to choose your dining time, so you can plan on sleeping in late and not have to worry about missing breakfast, as you would at some other B&B’s where the time for all guests is set. I awoke to the wonderful aromas of the breakfast being prepared. The breakfast was very good, with the wonderful bread pudding (which I read about in the entries written by past guests in the journals the night before) and great fresh fruit. We both had plenty to fill our tummies.

While we were checking out, we had a chance to chat with Dick and we told him that we were so impressed with their home and the way they ran it. We were given a care package which was not to be opened until we had gotten home. I won’t spoil it for you, but it was a nice touch. It was a great way to remind us of the wonderful stay.

To sum up, everything about our stay was first rate and I hope Pam and Dick have many more years of success. I have to point out the fact the lowest rating they have gotten is average and they personally responded to each of those reviews, which only goes to show that they really care that their guests have a good experience. There are so many places that never respond to complaints, even when they are directed to the management directly.

Room Tip: There is only one room with a shower, the rest of tubs, so if you have an issue with bathing in a tu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
classicrosewood, Owner at The Historic Inn on Ramsey Street, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We love to have been part of starting you on your B & B adventures on your first stay here. That is main reason we love our guests so much --- B & B travelers have this amazing spirit of discovery and appreciation of the little details in life. We love that we had the opportunity to serve you again too! That is best -- repeat guests!
PS. One little note, we do have more than one room with a shower. You must not have seen the suites upstairs.--- they all have showers.
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The sheets were soft, the "my pillows" were great, special mattresses allowed me to sleep great both nights we were there. Great bike trails close by. Fabulous food delivered to room. We did couples massage. It's all good. Totally relaxed and ready to go back to reality. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2013
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our "getaway weekend" with good friends and it was relaxing and fun. We happened to arrive somewhat early, so Pam warmly greeted us, let us leave our bags in the entry and told us about the LeDuc Mansion a very short distance away, that we could tour. Margaret was our tour guide and was terrific. You won't be disappointed. Our rooms were great and Dick pointed out the homemade cookies and Ice Cream we could help ourselves to. Dick made a terrific breakfast the next morning and then we were off to explore Hastings. Hiking, Car Show in town, and a Winery...we'll be back to perhaps try that professional massage that is available to their guests. You can tell this couple loves being in the B & B business.

St Paul, MN
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I arrived shortly after 4pm. We read the sign on the door that said to ring the bell and someone would be there shortly. We understand that one would not want to leave a large house unlocked, so we patiently sat on the porch swing and waited. Pam soon arrived and welcomed us to their Inn. Having stayed in several different 'types' of B&B's, this one would fall into the categories of 'historic', 'old', 'vintage'.
I have a friend who won't stay at B&B's for this reason and prefers the modern, spotless hotel accommodation. We appreciated the classic style of the house. Yes, there may have been a dead fly or cobweb, but it was clean. There were little nooks and crannies that gave the place an added charm. The house was huge and it was fun to look through the vacant rooms. (it was a Monday evening) Quite elegant and spacious. We had reserved the Solarium room, which was nice, but not huge. I really liked the 'wall of windows' with the skylight, especially at night. The whirlpool was perfect and the flooring (tile) looked new throughout the room. We were not sure about the bed when we first saw it, as it seemed very low to the ground. We ended up liking the Dux bed very much and the sheets were lovely. I slept well. As we were on the third floor (yes, lots of steps) I thought it would be hot. I was delighted that it remained cool the entire visit. Super Air Conditioning unit!
I think the owners did a marvelous job of renovating this historic mansion. The porch by the rose garden was quiet and relaxing. Breakfast was good. I loved the fresh peaches and cream and the caramel bread pudding.The egg dish was nice, but not quite to my taste. The coffee and juice were very good. I appreciate the extra effort it takes to chose organic ingredients and to strive to be a 'green' inn. That is great! I thought it was an extra nice touch having the porch fitted with the water dispenser, mini fridge, fresh delicious chocolate chip cookies, cocoa, ice cream etc...Really nice idea! The staff were very accommodating, so a big thank you to Pam, Dick and Barb!!

Room Tip: It's really hard to tell from photo's exactly what the room will be like.....if you're c...
Ellsworth, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I spent a night at the Classic Rosewood recently. We stayed in the Mississippi Room--the top floor of the house. What a great room to relax in. When we arrived we were greeted with a smile and the history of the house--loved to hear the history. And what a treat to be able to have a professional massage (couples) right on premise at the Classic Rosewood! We were within walking distance of some downtown fun for the night. And the next morning the breakfast was delicious. And we had our choice to eat downstairs--anywhere we wanted, or in our room. We enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend it to anyone looking for a pleasant, relaxing time to get away from the day to day. And of course, if you travel for work, this would also be an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the top floor of the house--very spacious!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent two nights here. We live in the Twin Cities, so Hastings is so convenient. When we arrived, we were shown around the house and told the history of the house. So interesting! We stayed in the Mississippi Room (top of the house) and loved it. So cozy and we loved being able to use the fireplace! Breakfast can be served for you at one of the "private" tables set up around the main floor of the inn (we had a beautiful alcove) or you can have at delivered to ur room. Both mornings the breakfasts were beautifully presented, wonderfully tasty, and substantial enough to leave you well satisfied. Throughout your stay, cookies, ice cream, & supplies for hot drinks are kept available for you to enjoy 24 hours a day. What a nice treat! I loved every minute of our trip. My husband was awoken in the morning (I was able to sleep through it both mornings) to the sound of squirrels scampering across the roof. I know the inn keepers are aware of the issue . Just because my husband was disturbed by the chaos in the morning, I'm going to give the Rosewood an overall 4 stars. Just know, if you want to stay in a very clean place, with a homey feel, full of character, with great breakfast service, this may be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cottage Grove
#1 of 9 in Red Wing
Best Western Plus Campus Inn
Best Western Plus Campus Inn
#1 of 5 in River Falls

Been to The Historic Inn on Ramsey Street? Share your experiences!