“An unexpected delight!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Onion Grille
Ranked #2 of 52 Restaurants in Hastings
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
“An unexpected delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

My daughter and I vibrsited the Onion Grille for dinner while visiting Hastings overnight. We were greeted at the door and given the choice of sitting in the dining room or at a high table in the bar area. We chose the dinning room where there were white linen table clothes and napkins. My daughter ordered the beef stroganoff. I had a hard time deciding between the macaroni and cheese, pork tenderloin and roasted chicken. Our amazing waitress agreed to surprise me. She brought us warm bread and onion soup. Both were delicious! The soup was very hot but was so delicious that we had to take care not to get burned. Our entree was well-presented and excellent! I had the pork tenderloin. The meat was very tender and the vegetables were just right. There was enough for us to take home and enjoy for dinner the next day. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of our waitress but she made our dining experience wonderful! We will certainly visit the Onion the next time we're in Hastings.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank europewithKellynRyan

Minneapolis, MN
“Great Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I highly recommend checking this place out. It's such a refreshing change from the chain restaurants. Service was great. I had the chicken which was wonderful. My husband had a pasta dish, which he wasn't that fond of...but he would go back again and try something else. The steaks looked great when they went by our table to other diners! Nice location and atmosphere...it's a great date night spot!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“A little gem, hidden away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Worth the effort to find, if you're going by or through Hastings. I had a very good sandwich. My wife had what she called the best French onion soup she has ever tasted. Friendly staff. Interesting small town. Definitely worth a stop. A short walk from a riverside trail.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank j2dor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Personal Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stopped here for a late lunch one day. The food was great, yes. But, the service was terrific. I have a unique allergy and asked the waitress about ingredients. She admitted she didn't know, but would ask. The owner came out to introduce herself to me and to tell me that she called the bakery that provides their breads to determine if I could eat them. In the end, I could not, but I ordered the portabella fella without the bun accompanied by onion rings. My food was delicious and I had plenty to eat without that bun I couldn't have! Thanks to such very personal service, I would definitely stop here again!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“You will be glad you stopped”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family was in town to attend a play and decided to give this place a try after looking over the menu posted at the door.

Very quaint decor, lots of open space. The service staff was extremely welcoming and helpful especially when we let them know about our theatre plans

We ordered blackened salmon (good but not great) shrimp skewers (quite good), flat rion steak (outstanding!) and shrimp with cheese stuffed tortellini (excellent sauce and combination of flavors).

For starters the meals came with either salad or soup, I opted for the French Onion, tasty but not spectacular it needed a little something more. The salads were fresh and came with homemade dressings. Also provided with the salads was a loaf of three cheese bread (with garlic butter) which was very good.

We were a little pressed for time so did not try any dessert.

We are already thinking of excuses to come back to Hastings just to eat here again.

• Visited July 2013