“Despite a challenging location, ambience is great and food is fantastic”
Review of Me & Julio

Me & Julio
Ranked #7 of 54 Restaurants in Hastings
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: This is a brand new resturaunt in Hastings. This is the YELP URL for further information. http://www.yelp.com/biz/me-and-julio-hastings
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
“Despite a challenging location, ambience is great and food is fantastic”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The only negative I have to say about Me and Julio (can't stop singing the song when I say or type that) is the odd location. Other than that my family has dined there twice and both times have come away excited about the food. Service is good and the decor feels right for a Tex-Mex.

The food is not your standard fare that you can get at any chain restaurant. The chefs have taken some new ideas and made their flavors jump in very pleasant ways. My wife swears by the Churrasco Tacos and I really like their Chicken Chorizo Hash. At some point I will stop being surprised at how good it was when I have cleaned my plate, but not yet.

The table next to ours on our most recent trip all ordered the Juana Burro and it appeared all were satisfied with their choice.

All in all, I look forward to our next trip to the "Schoolyard" aka Me & Julio in Hastings.

• Visited June 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Trying something new”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We arrived at 6:15 on a Saturday night and waited 15 minutes to be seated (reasonable time frame concerning the storm outside and lack of outside seating use because of the rain.

Most of the restaurant is taken up by a very large bar; seating is located around the exterior walls with the bar located in the center. Exterior seating is available depending on weather (view is of empty commercial lots, fast food location and convenience store). Restaurant atmosphere was casual with a Texas flavor to the interior design. Multiple large-screen televisions are located throughout the restaurant and easily viewable from any table.

Food is a mix of Mexican themed and standard American restaurant fair (Burgers, Chicken, and the likes - Full menu is available on their website listed below). Cost of food was moderate and within the line of other restaurants in the area.

Wait staff was friendly and returned often to check to make sure customers were happy and drinks were filled. Food was delivered within a reasonable time frame from when the order was taken.

Our party ordered a Buffalo chicken and fries, The Club house sandwich with fries and a kid's meal with a corn dog. The Buffalo Chicken was spice and had a slight bite to it (but not get me a milk now spicy). The Club was overstuffed and delicious in flavor. The corn dog was devoured in short order and based on that one must presume the picky eater approved of it.

One drawback, due to the Fajitas and the closed doors due to rain, there was a lingering cloud caused by the delivery of many fajitas (Note: Based on how many Fajitas were purchased; it may be worth a try next time), and air was either off or unable to handle the exchange.

I overall will return again in the future and would recommend to those passing by.

• Visited May 2014
Minnesota
“Good food, good service and good prices”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Took a little road trip to Hastings and stopped in at Me and Julio for dinner. We sat outside on the patio which was very nice. We weren't in a hurry and the server was great. We did not feel rushed. I ordered the chicken fajitas and my wife ordered the steak fajitas (with corn tortillas.) Both were very good. My wife said it was the first time she's ordered steak fajitas were the meat had lots of flavor. The chicken was excellent as well. The only niggle is that for a mexican place, it seemed odd to get free popcorn but had to pay for chips and salsa. But, being owned by the Lucky's 13 group, popcorn is their trademark.

Overall, a good experience and being that my wife is a gluten free person, they had a very good variety of items The server even offered to have something customized if needed. We would certainly stop in again next time we are in the area.

• Visited May 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Local Place with Friendly People”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The food can be exceptional to poor, it really depends on what you order. Not the typical Mexican food - chef has made creative alternatives. Some of these work and some are complete failures. Lettuce tacos - very good. Nachos are huge and enough for 4 people. fajitas are reasonable price and tasty -1/2 lb of quality meat. You will find places serving a larger portion but not of quality steak. Enchiladas reminded us of ones from frozen dinners - that is the worst thing on the menu. They will have dinner specials - most are amazing (Garlic Chicken - I would eat weekly!) Service is normally very good.

• Visited April 2014
Cary, North Carolina, United States
“Very good food at a decent price”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Trip Advisor asked if this was one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant. I answered no because the very best meals I've ever had cost 3 times what meals cost here. They have very good meals, even if not gourmet quality, and a reasonable price. I stayed at the hotel next to this place for many weeks while I was on contract work in Hastings. This was my go to place. The staff is fabulous.I saw someone complain about getting popcorn instead of chips. That must have been on a weekend. During happy hour on weekdays, they have free chips with a variety of sauces.I saw someone else complain that this wasn't authentic Mexican food. I never saw anything where they claimed it was authentic Mexican. It's good Tex-Mex. Nothing more and nothing less.They have several specials during the week (taco Tuesdays is my favorite) that can make a dinner out very affordable. For a small town in Minnesota, this place is hard to beat.

• Visited February 2014

Been to Me & Julio? Share your experiences!