“Auwsum !”
Review of Afton State Park

Afton State Park
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Hastings
More attraction details
Owner description: Located near St. Paul, this 1,700 acre-park offers camping, hiking, biking, swimming and cross-country skiing.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Amaizing hikeing camping. Privacy. Tents only. About a mile hike. The beach and river trail is cool. Eagles badgers wild life.
Last year we wanted to use our trailer and discovered the only trailer RV tent
camping is actually a group
camp by reservation only. It is about 25 camp sites with table and pit, but you cannot drive in and use it even with a state sticker unless you reserverve the entire 25 sites on a 30 acre area.
Its only $50. Oddly the night signin application says "Tent, Trailer,RV,". But no sign anywhere about
"Reservation only".
I think they want to steer away loud wild people but holycow. Whats wrong with a few open sites for drive in campers.??

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"woods"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I came out here to do some hiking in the summer. It was my first time in this area for hiking. It had some nice rolling plains as well as a real nice hill down to the river and back up to where I parked. There weren't a lot of people here when I came. The best part of the 4.5 mile hike I went on was the area along the river. There were some nice cliffs one side of me and the river on the other. The best part were the cool breezes on a warm summer day. The one hill going down by the river was pertty tough terrain. I would advise good hiking boots with ankle support to make it down. Totally worth a return trip.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I went last weekend for a hike to this park. I had read lots of positive reviews about the park..and I must say the park didn't disappoint us.Its one of the most beautiful hikes we have been in Minnesota. It was a hot day but the shade from the trees made it pleasant.
We did two hikes, one was the Prairie Loop and other North River trail and both of them were adventurous. There is a particular section of the hike of about 0.3 miles which passes through dense vegetation and has a narrow path..its exciting as well as adventurous.
The back packing site looked awesome..and Prairies..a perfect place for horse back riding.
The beach has an awesome view of the river and one can spend hours relaxing on the beach..watching the boats sail..watch kids and pets play..Will definitely go back next year..

1  Thank Ahana L
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a great park to hike in. Miles of hiking trails in prairie and woods with vistas of the Mississippi. You can also do the orienteering course as well as geocaching. There is camping available, but you have to hike quite a ways to the tent sites. No car camping here.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My family and I have hiked the trails of Afton State Park many times over the years. It is best in the Fall, when the leaves are turning and it is not too hot, but also enjoyable in the Spring (although a bit muddy in places), the Summer (bring water to keep hydrated), and even the Winter (intended for cross country skiing at that point). Most people head North - to the left of the parking area - but I recommend heading South (to the right). You will come upon a plateau of Prairie flowers, a winding path, a descent into the woods, a very steep, rocky path down to the river (sometimes we have stopped for a picnic halfway down), then a lovely walk along the St. Croix River on what was once a railroad line. One day there were people mushrooming, and there are always people with kids and dogs enjoying the walk, with a breeze off of the river. The boats (and their motors) on the river don't create too much noise. Eventually you come to a beach, and then it is time to choose which path back up the hill - and having hiked quite a distance, this is the hard part - but it is exhilirating.

Leaving the park you wind your way out on a narrow road, slowly, with a sense of calm.

2  Thank Andrew E