“Niagara Cave”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Niagara Cave”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Two hundred fifty stairs take visitors down 200 feet to passage ways and formations. It's named Niagara after the narrow waterfall within. The guided tour is about 45 minutes and fascinating. With electricity throughout it's lit well enough to be safe, although it's advised to hang on to the railings. Our group, aged 6-78 had no problem. Dress warm; it's 47 degrees year round.

2 Thank Alice B

Marion
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A great 200 ft. underground attraction!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family thought this was a unique and worthwhile attraction for the price and time spent.
The guided tour is full of very good information presented in an entertaining way. The tour lasts one hour and tours run every 15 to 20 minutes. The path is well lit and there is never any bending/crouching/crawling as in some caves. You go up/down approx. 500 steps so be ready for that! Our tour included 7 people total which was a great number for being able to see/hear everything. I would not want to be in a group larger than 10. It is always 48 degrees in the cave so be sure to have a jacket. Also, I would recommend tennis shoes rather than flip flops or sandals. Don't forget to bring extra money for the gift shop.
This is not a good destination for anyone who is afraid of the dark or being in small spaces.

1 Thank Bart S
Spencer, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great tour”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you don't mind a lot of steps and you aren't afraid of small places you should really go to the Niagara Cave tour. Really interesting and we all enjoyed it.

1 Thank Diane H
Pierz, Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Unique”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is one of several caves we have toured. I enjoyed the fact that you could easily walk thru the areas, the path was easy to walk on and Niagara Cave was different than others we have viewed in the past. This cave has a high ceiling level, decomposing markings on some of the walls, the waterfall inside (though like another reviewer wrote, was not as impressive being on the "top" side of it), and a very knowledgeable and friendly tour guide. I was glad to have a flashlight app on my cell phone, which I used for some of the more dimly lit areas and the stairways that were wet. If you have bad knees, asthma, trouble breathing in a very humid environment, heart issues, and/or can not do multiple steps easily, I would strongly suggest not going on this tour. One of the members of our group got claustrophobic even, and had to depart early. Sadly, it takes lots of steps to get back OUT whether you leave early or complete the tour, so make sure it is something you can/want to do. Also, wear a jacket and well-treaded shoes. I liked this cave a lot!

Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, MN
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Better than expected”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've been on other cave tours before so I didn't have high expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I thought the waterfall in the cave would be the highlight of the tour, but that turned out to be the most disappointing part. The waterfall is not very impressive when you're standing above it looking down. That's the only view of the falls on the tour. However, I was surprised by the fossils in the cave walls and the cave itself was more interesting than I expected. Our tour guide was very knowledgable and added humor to the tour. They're not kidding when they say you will go up and down 250 stairs. You need to climb about 150 of them back to back at the end of the tour to get out of the cave. I managed to make it out while 6.5 months pregnant, but I was really glad I wasn't one of the people carrying very small children. Not only would very small children have trouble with the stairs, but the stairs were slippery due to the humidity of the cave and I'd recommend keeping your hands free to use the railings. Overall, it was worth the trip and I was impressed with the tour.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank dektolia

Been to Niagara Cave? Share your experiences!