“very cozy and friendly, when i go back to that city thats where i will be staying no doubt about it.”
Review of The Itascan Motel

The Itascan Motel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
minnesota
Reviewed July 20, 2009

i loved the owners/ managers, they were friendly and helpful. there is a decent amount of privacy and the rooms are beautiful. i felt very welcome and at home here. it was very close to restuarants and all sorts of shops so it was very convieniant. the cable t.v. just sweatened the pot. love love love this place!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
oakdale, MN
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My wife and I stayed here 7/12/09, for one night, while attending a personal event. Nice, clean room for a fair price. Nice people.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Medina
Reviewed May 25, 2009

i thought that the itascan motel was a very nice and relaxing place to stay. i stayed with my family(a family of 11) and had the time of my life!!! there was a proffesional staff and the rooms were clean and comfortable. the rates were affordable. overall i enjoyed my stay at the itascan motel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Boy, do I wish that someone else had posted a review of this motel before my mom & I made the mistake of staying there. The only reason we stayed instead of asking for our money back after seeing the room is that we got there fairly late & had already had such a long day that we weren't up for having to find another place to spend the night. My mom & I were driving the Mississippi River Road & looking for a cheap place to stay in Grand Rapids. We stayed at an Americinn the night before & decided we wanted to try a non-chain this night. The Itascan website (----) doesn't make it look like a 4-star hotel, but it makes it look like the rooms are clean, and it says that you get free breakfast. I called around & checked prices and also mapped the various independent motels--the Itascan was about the cheapest available (we paid 53.55 including taxes & fees, senior discount) and is also one of the only independents in town not located right by the train tracks. Problems we encountered:
1) When I was checking in, the woman at the front desk read the price I had been quoted to me and began to question it as if she wouldn't honor it. Presumably this is because I was given the sr. rate as I was traveling with my 73-year old mom and I am in my 30's, obviously not a senior, but come on. You don't question a rate that has already been guaranteed to a customer.
2) The room was FILTHY. There were cobwebs plainly visible below the shelf that the TV was on. My mom took her shoes off & found that the bottoms of her white socks were practically black after walking around for just a few minutes. We made a point of checking for bedbugs before getting into bed.
3) Noisy. The main north/south road through town goes right past the motel. We were even in one of the rooms furthest from the road, but it was still loud.
4) No free breakfast. Matter of fact, there wasn't even an employee in the office when my mom went to check, probably around 8 AM. Someone pulled up & started unlocking the door as we left sometime after 9. Oh well, I can only imagine what their breakfast items would have been like.

Live and learn. I'm no snob, this wasn't the first time I'd stayed in a budget motel, and I don't expect the Ritz for $50. I do expect better than this place, though. Their website & sign outside the building claim that it's newly renovated; if that's the case, I can only imagine what kind of shape it was in before.

• Liked — Located right in the middle of Grand Rapids
  • Disliked — Dirty, noisy, rude personnel at check-in (think it was one of the owners)
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here. The Sawmill Inn is just down the road, just a little more $, and looks way better.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
8 Thank Ann0724
ItascanOwner, Owner at The Itascan Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor,
This review was written almost 5 years ago, and we have made many renovations since then. We have refurnished the rooms and try to meet all the needs of our costumers. Can you please remove this review, for it is written before we made the renovations. And now we make sure that the rooms are thouroughly cleaned. Also, this person recommended another motel, so it might've been written by them.
Thanking you in Advance,

#2 of 11 in Grand Rapids
White Oak Inn & Suites
White Oak Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Deer River

Been to The Itascan Motel? Share your experiences!