“Surprise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 17th Street Grill at Timberlake Lodge

17th Street Grill at Timberlake Lodge
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Dining at the 17th Street Grill at the Timberlake Lodge™ is a true feast for the senses. Our Chefs prepare gourmet cuisine with style and skill unique in the Grand Rapids area. The 17th Street Grill offers the “best deal in town” for a quality lunch at a reasonable price. Stop in and enjoy a tasty and affordable lunch from our Lunch Menu. For a memorable dining experience try the 17th Street Grill’s extensive dinner menu. We offer steaks grilled to perfection, fantastic seafood selections, and much more. The 17th Street Grill offers an extensive drink menu that includes; a generous wine list, domestic and imported beers as well as all of your favorite spirits. Don’t forget to try our signature cocktail, the Timbertini.Open Monday through Saturday for lunch and dinner. Closed Sundays. Sit back, relax and allow our staff to not only meet, but exceed your expectations of quality dining in Grand Rapids.
Stringer, MS
“Surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I ate the panfried walleye with creamy bacon brussels sprouts and curried basmati rice. I had the creamy chicken wild rice soup as an appetizer. Who knew this small northern Minnesota town had fine dining? The food was great and the service was even better! I got to carry my dessert up to my room on a tray with a cover. Very special! Thanks, Tamara, for taking such good care of me!

Visited May 2013

Grand Rapids, Minnesota
“Still head and shoulders above in Grand Rapids!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I live in the area and the Grill remains my all time pick for impeccable food preparation and presentation. Last night was no exception.
They are apparently constructing a new entrance, so we came in through the Lodge. We were greeted warmly, and directed to the restaurant by helpful, cheery staff, one of whom told us that the night's swordfish was flown in fresh the day before.
Because they had "borrowed" tables to equip the ballroom for the next day's Mothers Day Buffet, we were asked if we minded a high table. I totally understand the need to shift tables around, but please don't leave the chairs strewn around the room. The atmosphere is so great here, I couldn't make sense of it.
While I'm complaining, let me direct a continuing comment to the management about the wait staff: run some kind of orientation! When customers order bloody Mary's, they do not need to hear about the time the waitress got sick on their over consumption one New Years Eve and now...
TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!
We told the waitress that we had to make a 7:30 concert, and or ordering and delivery initially went smoothly. I had the swordfish with al dente cooked peppers and curried rice. The swordfish was among the best I've ever had. It was iron skillet seared, and to perfection! It had a bit of charring on the outside, and was so moist inside. Just the sort of precision that seems be the standard for their chef.
Because the chocolate cake was not on the menu, we decided to split a baked fruit cobbler or crisp--who knows--it never arrived.
After waiting, and waiting,I had to go to the bar to request our waitress who told us "the lichen staff" never put it in the oven!
I have earned a living as a waitress. This was not the first time we were served by a waitress with a poor sense of just what personal information is appropriate to share. So something needs to be done on a systemic level.
Timberlake Lodge is our premier hotel, banquet venue, and restaurant. Lets keep our crowning jewel polished!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Timberlake_Lodge_144, Manager at 17th Street Grill at Timberlake Lodge, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Kathleen Nuccio -

Thank you for your constructive comments in regards to the 17th Street Grill, and your patience during our improvements. Running our events and restaurant during construction has been a new and challenging experience for us, and we appreciate your noticing how we can accommodate guests better during this transition. Thank you for bringing to our attention some etiquette and service concerns we will make sure to pass these lessons in customer service around our entire building as we continue to strive for perfection. I will also make sure our chef receives your compliment! As we keep polishing we look forward to seeing you again and wowing you with improvements. Thank you from the 17th Street Grill.
Goodland, Minnesota, United States
“A Very Happy Small Wedding Party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My finace and I are from the area and were planning on having a very small wedding ceremony followed by a supper at a nice restaurant. Our obvious choice was Timberlake, we've eaten here on several occasions on our own, brought out of town guests here for a nice meal and have attended weddings in the ballroom. I spoke with Jordan in event planning to see what would be the appropriate approach, dinner reservation or event reservation. He set us up a reservation for 14 in the Maple Terrace, a small room off of the main dinning area. Throughout planning, I called to ask him various questions and make certain requests and he was always pleasant and accomodating eventhough we only had a small party-dinner reservation.

Once we arrived at Timberlake for our dinner, I was absolutely blown away. They had the room set up with table linens, full table settings and our pre-ordered appetizers and wedding favors that we had dropped off all set up. Shelly was our server and she was extremely attentive, polite, knowledgeable and pleasant. She had a trainee working with her who was also extremely helpful as well.

Everyone loved their food, the drinks were wonderful and promptly refilled. I think the stand out item for everyone was the wild rice cakes. Had we known what a HUGE hit they were going to be, we would've ordered several orders of them!

Thank you 17th Street Grill for helping to make our wedding dinner a fabulous event!

• Visited March 2013
Fort Frances
“Interesting items on the menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Busy night, but excellent service. I was surprised to see Yellow Fin Tuna and Marlin on the menu as well as lamb chops. Not something you would normally find in Northern MN. The walleye wild rice fish cakes were delicious. Good wine selection.

Visited March 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Way better than I expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Some of my friends had been there over the past year and said it was OK but not great. Let me say that my experience now says that it is great and not just OK. The risotto I had as a side dish was awesome. The steaks were perfect. Vegetales were al denta and not like mush. Someone in the kitchen is really paying attention. The wine list was not extensive but was very good in quality and value.

I was really impressed with the quality of the meal. I will be back on my next trip to Grand Rapids.

• Visited February 2013