“Way better than I expected”

17th Street Grill at Timberlake Lodge
Ranked #5 of 41 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Dining at the 17th Street Grill at the Timberlake Lodge™ is a true feast for the senses. Our Chefs prepare gourmet cuisine with style and skill unique in the Grand Rapids area. The 17th Street Grill offers the “best deal in town” for a quality lunch at a reasonable price. Stop in and enjoy a tasty and affordable lunch from our Lunch Menu. For a memorable dining experience try the 17th Street Grill’s extensive dinner menu. We offer steaks grilled to perfection, fantastic seafood selections, and much more. The 17th Street Grill offers an extensive drink menu that includes; a generous wine list, domestic and imported beers as well as all of your favorite spirits. Don’t forget to try our signature cocktail, the Timbertini.Open Monday through Saturday for lunch and dinner. Closed Sundays. Sit back, relax and allow our staff to not only meet, but exceed your expectations of quality dining in Grand Rapids.
Cleveland, Ohio
“Way better than I expected”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Some of my friends had been there over the past year and said it was OK but not great. Let me say that my experience now says that it is great and not just OK. The risotto I had as a side dish was awesome. The steaks were perfect. Vegetales were al denta and not like mush. Someone in the kitchen is really paying attention. The wine list was not extensive but was very good in quality and value.

I was really impressed with the quality of the meal. I will be back on my next trip to Grand Rapids.

• Visited February 2013

Duluth
“Great food”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The wait staff was very professional and helpful in choosing entree. I ordered the Hawaiian Calamari Salad as an appetizer, it was delectable. For my entree I chose Boundary Waters Walleye and was glad that I did. Very light and tasty. Warm bread with butter is served long with the entree and two sides. For dessert I had the Key Lime Cheesecake, it was fabulous and fresh tasting.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Shbrri85
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“New Year's Disappointment”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We went for a special family evening out on New Year's eve. We've stayed at the hotel before and eaten at the restaurant for New Year's two years ago and really enjoyed it. This year the food and service just wasn't up tp par. I had a cobb salad and stuffed lobster tail. The salad was very bland, with tasteless avacado and tomato. It didn't have any flavor to it. The blue cheese and bacon added to it were fine, but it was not a fancy restaurant quality salad, more something I would throw together quickly for dinner at home. The crabmeat stuffing in the lobster was overly salty and the consistency of a boxed stuffing mix. If there was any crab in it, I couldn't see it. I found it inedible. The lobster itself was very good, sweet and tender, so it was a real shame that it was smothered in cafeteria-level beige stuffing. The service was rushed, with the next course arriving before we had finished the food that had already been served. I would understand that if we had been there at the height of the rush, but we arrived at 5:00, and there was one other table ofcustomers in the place. Some of my family's meals were good, but at $40 a plate, I expected all of the food to at least be average, and much of what I had wasn't even good.

• Visited December 2012
Timberlake_Lodge_144, Manager at 17th Street Grill at Timberlake Lodge, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
AC, We are glad to hear that your first experience with the 17th Street Grill was memorable, and you thought of us again for your special family night. The lemon Greek yogurt dressing on our Cobb Salad was meant to be a very light addition to the Pre-Fixed meal, we are sorry to hear the taste was not to your liking. All of our stuffing is 100% handmade and we are disappointed to hear you did not find it as a good addition to the lobster. Given your positive feedback on the lobster we will ask the kitchen to consider using the stuffing as a side or option in the future. Your group was one of our earlier reservations, and we were able to provide fast service due to having only two tables at that time, thank you for your feedback on feeling rushed as it gives us an opportunity to make sure we are paying attention to our time frames between courses. At the 17th Street Grill we pride ourselves on providing great customer service and take all feedback as a means to build and continually improve. Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with us.
Minnesota
“Company Holiday Party Here”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had dinner here two nights in a row. The first night my husband and I tried out the restaurant to see how it is before our company party. The main dining room is nicely decorated with comfy chairs and table layout. The have a simple bar with a couple of tv's and tables scattered about. We had a couple of drinks at the bar, where we could use our 2 for 1 coupon. Brian, the bartender, was not very helpful, so we got a table in the dining room. We had the blackened Scallops, and the Chicken Oskar. Both of the dishes were excellent. The next night we had our party of 16 in the Maple Terrace room. Toni, was an awesome waitress for our size group. Rocky, did a great job assisting Toni, and was fun interacting with the group. We tried three different appetizers, spring rolls, fried green beans, chicken wings, all were excellent and tasty. For our meals, the best dishes were the Ahi Tuna, Ribeye, Prime Rib, combo meals with Ribs, and Pork Scalloppini. We will definitely return for many more meals

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank adolson
Duluth, Minnesota
“Valentines massacre”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My sweet husband just reminded me I had not left feedback on here from our 2/14 nightmare. The hotel aspect is a whole other hot mess, will try to not confuse and combine the two since they're totally separate entities. Both dropped bar enormously.

Upon check in at hotel we were given handout sheet for the restaurants evening specials, yay!! So excited. After settling into room we tried to order dinner. Nope, sorry, short staffed and overbooked. No room service. OK... we can roll with that. We went down to restaurant NOT wanting to eat in, wanted "to go" and eat in our gorgeous fireplace suite. We went to the bar to have a drink and order our meals. The bar-staff was horrified and escalated it to a snotty manager.(At that point other bar patrons and guests took notice, making it embarrassing and too weird to actually sit and enjoy a drink) We said it didn't need to be BOXED, just on plates room service style and we'd carry it up our damn selves. She could not have made us feel less welcome, it was awkward and uncomfortable. They tried to talk us out of it numerous times, using tactics such as it's a limited menu due to it being Valentines day. We knew this, we were handed the special menu upon checking into the hotel. They then moved onto another tactic of how backed up they were and what a long wait it would be. We said no problem take your time, we could even be the last ticket of the night before the kitchen closed. Unlike the restaurant patrons we were there for the night, not even taking up a table or a waitress. Super low maintenance! We we rushed thru placing our order and went back to our room. About an hour later we realized that soup/salad/side info was never taken.... and they certainly didn't call the room to ask us. My husband had to go back down. It was ridiculous.

Eventually our room phone did ring and we were given the privilege of eating the meal. My entree was walleye which we've had many times there prior. Perfection AS ALWAYS. Small gross dried out baked potato made in obvious bulk batch and left to sit too long. The accompanying veggies which feature long beautiful carrots which in the past had always been luscious and sweet were disappointing. A downfall of an overbooked understaffed holiday evening. A staff person told us later they NEVER expected Valentines day on a weeknight/work-night to be so busy and they were terribly unprepared (duh)

Husband had prime rib, small and trimmed sloppy with more fat than meat but the edible portion was nice. Ice cold garlic smashed potatoes and tragic veggies.

Husband ordered a wedge salad w/ bacon and it was cosmetically GORGEOUS but what was given was not what was on the menu, nothing like described. His salad had a pink fruity sauce and vinegar, AS WELL AS ranch and blue cheese, making it sickeningly sweet and inedible.

I ordered a (VERY) expensive sweet blue crab bisque. I assure you it had never been within 500 miles of a blue crab. The menu specified it would be garnished with a generous heaping of sweet crab but there was none. There was a scorched crostini though... heavy on the char.

We sort of assumed there would be an apology (there wasn't) or a comped dessert (Nope) just lots of extra trips to the restaurant for sour cream, a spoon, and so on.

Hot mess.... I will miss the walleye, among the best I've ever eaten. But can never set foot in the place again. I suppose things could have been better (MAYBE) if we'd dined in. But we paid for a fireplace hotel suite and a night away from the kids. The hotel proudly presented us the dining menu. It sure was a memorable event indeed.

• Visited February 2012
Timberlake_Lodge_144, Public Relations Manager at 17th Street Grill at Timberlake Lodge, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hello Jennifer J: Thank you for your post about last Valentine’s Day evening. We most certainly are very sincerely disappointed that this was your experience. We learned a lot from that evening, as it was the largest draw we had for the holiday since our opening. We look forward to using what we learned to make this coming Valentine’s Day experience a far better one for all. Thank you again for your open and honest feedback, as it is a good record of the improvement we have to make in preparation for the next holiday dining experience.