Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great fun for young kids

So much to do for kids under 8-9. This will keep them busy for hours. The water table and digging... read more

Reviewed March 19, 2019
Tour631225
via mobile
Quick visit

Reviewed September 2, 2019
monan285
Ely, Minnesota
via mobile

All reviews wizard of oz childhood home ruby slippers judy garland gift shop on display old house lots of pictures grew up doll collection personal effects next door across the street front desk interesting things northern mn young kids
Selected filters
Reviewed September 2, 2019 via mobile

Quick stop to stretch our legs on our way home from northern MN. I love the Wizard of Oz and thought there would be some exciting memorabilia here. I was disappointed that there isnt as many things there from Wizard of Oz. It was a neat description of Judy as a child and growing up and the house where she was born was well done. My 10 year old was bored in the children's museum part. It was fun to see once but most likely wont stop again.

Reviewed August 22, 2019

Very fascinating place. Learned a LOT about Judy Garland (Frances Gumm), her life growing up and her rise to stardom. Didn't realize she was in THAT many movies! Walking through her childhood house was interesting as well. From the outside, it looks quite small. But seemed very roomy inside. Well worth the time and the cost.

Reviewed August 11, 2019

Not being Gay or a massive JG fan, I worried I would not find enough to hold my attention. We were there about 10.00am on a weekday (July 2019), and it was very quiet. There was such a lot to see- each of the display cases had lots of wonderful ephemera; letters, scripts, personal items, some relating to her time as a child in Grand Rapids, many to her time in show-business in general. The old House (moved to this location a couple of times I think) was also excellent, for me, as a social document of how a lower middle-class family house looked and was furnished in the early 1920s, and not simply where she grew up. $10 I think it was, and good value.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed August 1, 2019 via mobile

My friend and I were passing through town and this came up. We thought, “why not.” So we went through and it was enjoyable. Simple. Fun to see a few facts about Judy and the children’s museum would be fun for any kid.

Reviewed July 15, 2019

I am not a huge Judy Garland fan, and you don't need to be to enjoy the museum. They have some amazing props from Wizard of Oz - Judy's screen-test Dorothy dress and the carriage that that they all ride in were especially amazing to look at, as they were saved from a movie made 80 years ago. Also the carriage had some interesting Lincoln-related history even before the movie! Since the stolen ruby slippers are still in the possession of the FBI, they have a replica pair on display instead which are very pretty.

There were lots of items on display that belonged to Judy Garland which to me, are the most interesting things of any museum dedicated to someone. A fur and dress, jewelery, scripts, and many other items that belonged to her which was neat to see in person. Lots of pictures and facts printed up, as well as collectibles both in regard for Judy as well as Wizard of Oz. I learned a lot and my kids found it all very interesting too.

Judy's house is connected to the museum which is very cool in how they set that up. It's really lovely inside and one of the best vintage houses I've toured.

The children's museum is on the other side of the gift shop, next to a pretty scary doll collection, and it's geared more for younger children it seems (kindergarten & under...) but my big kids still had fun playing in there anyway.

Overall - a must stop. There is also a Wizard of Oz mural downtown (across the street from the Paul Bunyan adirondack chair) that is a nice photo op.

Date of experience: July 2019