“Perfect Stay in Jacuzzi Suite”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Portage
Grand Portage Lodge and Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grand Portage
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Perfect Stay in Jacuzzi Suite”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My fiancée and I stayed here last Sat in their Jacuzzi suite. This was my first time staying at the lodge and it wont be the last. For the price $125, $140 with taxes compared to $250+ for a Jacuzzi in tbay, this was well worth it! The room looked newer, it was huge, it had a half bathroom near the entryway, separate living area with a long counter bar with mini fridge, microwave and electric fireplace, other room was the bedroom with Jacuzzi tub and a nice stand up shower. Another thing I liked was no icky looking curtains, they were newer nice looking blinds, and the bed and pillows are super comfy. All the staff were pleasant, the front desk, our waiter, the bartender at the bar, even the security in the casino. We had a great time drinking and playing the machines then hanging out in our room, will def return here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LiVs_2_TraVeL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Our room was great and the food was good but service was very poor. Restaurant, front desk, and bar employees need lessons on how to smile and just being polite in general.
This was our second time staying here, once in 2010 and just this last weekend Janurary 2014, both were bad. We will never go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Marcea F

Travelers are raving about these Grand Portage hotels

Northern Minnesota, USA
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This place is located near the marina which means an early departure to Isle Royale is easier. More amenities, like running water, compared to tenting/ backpacking, but I wouldn't go barefoot on the carpet.

This place fills fast due to lack of other lodging options in the vicinity. We ended up in a handicapped room since it was all that was available with reservations made two months in advance. There was also an annual classic car show the coming weekend.

Room Tip: The handicap room is located overlooking the parking lot, but still a ways from the door.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bacolod, Philippines
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Awesome stay, cheap rooms, pool, sauna, cheap restaurant, helpful frondesk, casino and safe place to go.... Wide parking lot, few steps from the store but they also have mini store inside the establishment. Nice staffs that help you with your needs. they have bar too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debra b
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Just wanted to start by stating my girlfriend and I are probably the least pickiest people around and we have been too many hotels over the years and this is the first review I have ever wrote on ANYTHING. First off, we arrived around 6pm on November 7th to check in, however upon arrival was told that the restaurant was currently closed as well as there was no water in any of the rooms due to a water pipe break. We were both looking forward to a decent supper and instead we're told "there's pizza and hotdogs in the casino". I wasn't too upset as I understand things happen and it wasn't anyone's fault that the water pipe bursted. However, while checking in we were told the manager was looking into a discount for the people who booked rooms due to the inconvenience. That was all we heard about this discount, I wasn't expecting a free room but maybe I discount or at least a breakfast on the house the following morning. The last straw came the following morning when we checked out. The clerk asked us if we wanted to keep the room on the credit card we provided or pay cash. We paid cash for the room and went on our way without evening an apology regarding having no water and the restaurant being closed. On our way home I checked our bank account to see how much money we spend and there was this $97 charge that we knew he didn't make. We called our bank (TD) and was advised that the front desk at the hotel out the charge through on our account. The room was only $66 so I don't even know where the $97 came from and still don't know. We called the hotel and advised them that we were charged twice for the room and was met by a "we can't help you". We then asked to speak with the manager and was met with women who needs to be retrained in customer service. My girlfriend attempted to explain the situation and was interrupted with a rude tone saying "well if you would just let me explain". We were told that this charge was a "hold" incase the room was damaged and that the "hold" SHOULD be removed in 7-10 days. We tried to tell her that the money was taken out and she just kept saying "I can't help you" like we were inconveniencing her and that was it of our great help. What if we needed that $97 in our account to pay bills, groceries etc? We would have to wait 7-10 days to get that money back?Now every other hotel I have ever been to takes your credit card the night before when you check in and asks you if you want to leave the room on the card or pay. And I have never heard of a this hold being reimbursed 7-10 days later for possible damages. We were in room 105, walk down the hall and check the room. So now we are watching our account for this money to magically reappear. We have stayed at this hotel many times for the years as it's only 40 minutes from home and offers a nice overnight getaway, however we will never step foot or spend another penny in that place after our experience and great customer service. It seems like there is a trend on here regarding there customer service. Now most of the employees were pleasant enough, but when you have a problem or need assistance, they can't be bothered with you. As I said that is the last time we attend there for everything and after we old out family members who are also regular guests, they have no boycotted the place as well. Free advice, if your traveling through the area spend the extra 40 minutes and stay in Thunder Bay or Grand Marais. This place definitely needs new management.

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank Beaners21
Minneapolis
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My sister and I stopped here on the first night of our drive around Lake Superior. We wanted to stay in Grand Marais but everything was booked. We are not gamblers so the casino did not interest us. The front desk attendants were king enough to tell us about a friday night special that would significantly lower our rate from $125 to $89. However, in order to get this rate we had to go over to the casino and sign up for a free casino membership. We did this, lugging all our stuff with us, and then got yelled at by the casino floor manager because you can't have luggage on the casino floor. We got back to the front receptionist only to learn that the casino lady had not given us the right coupon so they sent me back to the casino to get the correct one. This is a ridiculous check in procedure. Other than that, the room was clean and comfortable and we had a nice view of the lake that we paid $10 extra for. Even though we had a nonsmoking room it is impossible to get in and out of the hotel without smelling like smoke. We did not eat in the restaurant while we were there and the pool was closed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lynn S
Reviewed September 18, 2013

A hellish week so comically awful I expected to be surprised by a hidden camera crew! The restaurant was closed for days because of a sewage back-up in the kitchen. Does it get any more disgusting? But based on the reviews of this "restaurant" by others, I think this may have been good fortune. The pool/sauna area were also closed (for three weeks!) due to maintenance issues as were the restrooms in the lobby. And there was no hot water in the rooms either! Does anyone even attempt to maintain this place? The front desk staff acted like I was a bother to them any time I spoke to them. Trying to get help from management was impossible. I was passed back and forth from one manager to another, obviously none of them wanted to take any responsibility for unacceptable conditions in which they expected their guests to stay. The casino was a bit of an improvement over the hotel. Most of the time the customer service rep was nowhere to be found, but the security at the door was quick to call the floor manager to fill in. In fact, it seems like security and the floor manager were the only ones who even knew the first thing about customer service! They went out of their way to greet and assist people as they came in the doors. The casino itself was ok. Mostly just penny slots cloaked in a thick haze of smoke. There is no safe haven from the smoke either. It's in the casino, the lobby, the halls of the hotel and the bathrooms. It was even smoky in the elevators! Probably the worst part of this whole ordeal was that with all of the problems going on in the hotel area, never did anyone make any attempts at trying to make it a better experience for me. They seemed to have no interest whatsoever in trying to make it right. I guess repeat business is just not important.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank NotGatheringMoss

Been to Grand Portage Lodge and Casino? Share your experiences!