“Keep driving!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Portage
Grand Portage Lodge and Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grand Portage
“Keep driving!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

A hellish week so comically awful I expected to be surprised by a hidden camera crew! The restaurant was closed for days because of a sewage back-up in the kitchen. Does it get any more disgusting? But based on the reviews of this "restaurant" by others, I think this may have been good fortune. The pool/sauna area were also closed (for three weeks!) due to maintenance issues as were the restrooms in the lobby. And there was no hot water in the rooms either! Does anyone even attempt to maintain this place? The front desk staff acted like I was a bother to them any time I spoke to them. Trying to get help from management was impossible. I was passed back and forth from one manager to another, obviously none of them wanted to take any responsibility for unacceptable conditions in which they expected their guests to stay. The casino was a bit of an improvement over the hotel. Most of the time the customer service rep was nowhere to be found, but the security at the door was quick to call the floor manager to fill in. In fact, it seems like security and the floor manager were the only ones who even knew the first thing about customer service! They went out of their way to greet and assist people as they came in the doors. The casino itself was ok. Mostly just penny slots cloaked in a thick haze of smoke. There is no safe haven from the smoke either. It's in the casino, the lobby, the halls of the hotel and the bathrooms. It was even smoky in the elevators! Probably the worst part of this whole ordeal was that with all of the problems going on in the hotel area, never did anyone make any attempts at trying to make it a better experience for me. They seemed to have no interest whatsoever in trying to make it right. I guess repeat business is just not important.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank NotGatheringMoss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cushing, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel was clean and fairly quiet. Ask for a room on the lakeside. It is worth the extra few dollars. All staff was friendly and helpful. Only exception was in the dining room. Asked for a booster seat for our granddaughter. The waitress brought one then set it on the floor as we were short a chair at our table. We had to take a chair from a nearby table ourselves. They have a smoking and non-smoking section. There is not a divider so the non-smoking area was very smokey.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Anita S
Cambridge, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was in the area doing some lettering on a dive boat. It was a long hot day, and I decided to get a room for heading back. This is the only place to stay, not because it's so awesome, but because it is literally the only place to stay. I definitely got that impression from the staff and wait people in the restaurant. Was looking forward to a hot shower and a good nights sleep. When I was checking in, I heard somebody asking about the hot water in a particular room, they said it would be operational in about 20 min. I paid no attention and went to my room to take a hot shower and hit the rack. no hot water! I called the front desk and they said the entire hotel was out of hot water and it would be an hour or two before it was fixed. no apologies, no free meal, and that's just the way it was. So I took a cold shower and went to bed.the pool and hot tub were still not operational.

If I have work again in the area I will probably stay in grand Marais and drive to grand portage.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nathan P

Travelers are raving about these Grand Portage hotels

Coon Rapids, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

As we have family living in the area, unfortunately we have stayed at the Grand Portage Lodge and Casino multiple times. This visit takes the cake. We went for a wedding reception at the Lodge. The front desk ladies are the least welcoming representatives. Obviously foreign, you wonder if they are there against their will. Once we made it past the check in which started the poor experience, we found he pool was out of service. Well that's a bummer, but not a deal breaker. I went to the bar to get a beer; I waited, and waited, and waited. More poor service!

Later we discovered the bar AND the restaurant had both closed due to a SEWAGE leakage! The lobby rest rooms were also closed, then we discovered the 'dirty water' from the restroom's has leaked into the first floor, non-smoking hallway. All weekend, there was plastic over the carpet in that hallway. GROSS! The fact that the restaurant was closed all weekend was not all that bad for us, because of our local family. But guests from out of town without local family are out of luck as there are no other local options for dining other than the casino snack bar (which also has its' own issues).

Saturday was the wedding day and we discovered that some of the wedding guests didn't have hot water for showering. Luckily, we did.

With the bar and restaurant still closed due to the SEWAGE leakage, I am really concerned about where the reception meal will be prepared....... Best if I don't know.

Sunday morning we didn't have any hot water for showering, so we packed up to check out.

Back at the front desk for checkout, we were told the manager was not available to talk to. We were given her business card.

Funny, the manager was not available all weekend. We never saw any maintenance crews. I overheard multiple times that Rotor Rooter never showed up. There were never any apologies made by any of the staff. No discounts were offered.

With no restaurant, no bar, no lobby restrooms, no hot showers, no pool, we might as well have stayed in a tent.

At least there wasn't sand in the bed. It seemed to take all day for the cleaning crew to complete the cleaning of our 3rd floor smoking wing.

I HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT THIS HOTEL.

I was also told they have been having these SEWAGE problems since August!

When the bar and restaurant closed, the manager should have been available. Or the staff should have been directed as to how to handle the complaints that should be expected.
VERY POOR MANAGEMENT!

Next to the gas station which is also owned by the casino. Same poor customer service from the foreign staff! (Aren't there enough local residents that need jobs?) Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of other options in the area to avoid using the casino's services.

Room Tip: As the location is beautiful, if you need other dining or convenience options, you are out of luck...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dawn L
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Lets start with the resort / hotel - great location, with nice views of the lake, and "park like" area to walk around the resort. Rooms are nice - maintained well enough - and the lakeside rooms have a nice view of Lake Superior. Checking in / checking out process is fine. The staff are friendly & courteous - and try their best.

OK, my wife and I have stayed here a few times - but, as mentioned in my review title - this trip could easily have been a Seinfeld episode.

After checking in - we went to the pool area (pool, sauna, etc..) - a notice on the door stated it was "closed for maintainance" - for 3 weeks ?? . OK, I guess that happens - but, I did see the date on the notice was well before I booked my room.

A little later - we went for supper - the main restaruant was closed due to a kitchen "plumbing problem". The casino "snack bar" was the only restaruant available - this is OK, if you want something deep fried that somewhat resembles food - and you get to eat in the casino hallway.

Next, we were attending a comedy show - wanted a couple of drinks for the show - the main bar is closed too !! Again, go to the casino - to their bar area. The show was not well attended - but it was fun !!

The next morning, the main restaruant is still closed - so, no breakfast. The snack bar was NOT an option - so we had to drive to the Nanibijou Resort which was 20 miles away (which was fantastic !! - please try it) - or to Grand Marais which is approx 35 miles away.

Last comment - the resort and casino allows smoking. The room we had was a 2nd floor "smoking room" and it was above the main kitchen (on the main floor) - and all we heard was a very loud male voice - late at night & early in the am ??.

It's time to get this place out of the 1980's - the resort needs a facelift - and to start, I can only recommend the removal of smoking indoors. The second hand smoke level is extreme - feel sorry for the casino employees who breathe that all day.

Now would I come back here - probably, as it is a nice location - and I can only assume all this bad experience couldn't happen twice - lol.

But, I would like to see the resort improve, it truly has potential - not progressively get a little worse each visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a a lakeside room - preferably on the south side of the resort.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SnowDodger
Silver Bay, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I were in Grand Portage in August for the Rendezvous - Pow Wow and decided to get breakfast at the Casino Restaurant. After waiting an hour to be seated - the "Hostess" and I use that word loosely, would leave the podium for 10 - 20 minutes at a time, never took names nor told us how long the wait would be, or was there to take payment from customers trying to leave, I personally saw 2 parties just walk away without paying because they could find nobody to give their money to. Once we were seated it took another hour to get our breakfast, yes they were busy but knowing it was a big weekend for them, they should have had enough staff scheduled to at least have adequate service. Some people after waiting so long to be seated just got up and left without their meal because it took so long. Not one of the staff was very good at customer service, I don't think they know what that phrase means! I will NEVER EVER go back to this restaurant. Worst service ever and food was not good either.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathi F
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Nice view of the lake (from 2nd floor). Room was clean and comfortable. Usually, Sunday through Thursday, you can get a room for a really good price, if you FIRST get your coupon from the Guest Services in the casino. Yes, smoking is allowed in the lobby, casino, and part of the restaurant, but get a non-smoking room and it's soon forgotten.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Portage Lodge and Casino? Share your experiences!