“Splitsville shocker”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
mpls,mn
“Splitsville shocker”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Who would not want a big robust sandwich on a cold day? It was what I wanted and headed to Mort's. We were seated immediately on a busy Friday. A plate of reasonably good pickle halves arrived at the table. Our orders came very quickly and looked great.
The sandwich I ordered was as big and tasty as I would have thought. The soup was wonderful.
The sandwich was so big that I gave my dining partner a taste of it. Again, raves around the table. Lots of meat, firm bread, excellently assembled.
But once the bill arrived, a $3 charge for sharing was added to our total. Now when I, as a customer, specifically ask to split an order, I feel the kitchen has to go through extra work. But if my partner wants a taste of a large sandwich that I have to cut and deliver without asking for another plate, that is not an extra expense.
So go for the sandwiches, stay away from the billing bump that comes with sharing a taste of food with the people you dine with.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank rickophoto

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

They have a pretty big menu for lunch so they should have something for everyone...open faced turkey and gravy, deli sandwiches, soup, etc. I had egg salad which I always do if possible and it was great and huge. Most thigns are served with chips (homemade I think).

1 Thank Mayzinger
“Surprisingly good "New York Style" Deli”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Was somewhat cautious coming here, but lunch turned out to be quite good. The Matzoh Ball soup (floater style) was very good, followed by a delicious Pastrami on rye, new pickles on the side. They even had the full range of Dr. Brown's beverages.
While not quite up to NY's best, I would return here in a heartbeat. Who knew the twin cities had two delis dueling for best of, Mort's and Cecil's.

1 Thank Usedtobegood
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Pricing is ridiculous”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband had an appointment near Mort's, so we thought we would try the food. I was blown away by the prices - and there is a no sharing policy, unless you want to pay almost $3 more!!! One half of a plain roast beef sandwich - with NOTHING but too hard potato chips and a pickle, was $8.99. No cheese, mayo, nothing. Now I had a half Rueben, and it was very good, and generous, but again the price was way too much. We did each have a cup of the cabbage borscht, ($4 for a cup, and $8 for a bowl), and it was very good. The waiter walked by many times, and not once asked how it was. There are a lot of places to choose from in this area, and for his next appointment I can guarantee we won't be at Mort's.

Rosemount, Minnesota
“Outstanding Service, Delicious Pickles!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Brought a client here yesterday, Sept 20th. This place felt great as soon as we walked in the door! I got a Pastrami Sandwich filled with super succulent meat! The pickle that came with the sandwich was the best garlic dill I've had in years. The server was friendly and attentive and was back often with refills and smiles. This is probably one of the better deli places I've been to. We were treated like family from the moment we walked in the door and the food was yummy. We must've come on the best day and next time I'm in Golden Valley I will definitely return.

• Visited September 2013