“Wonderful atmosphere and unexpected cuisine in northern MN”
Review of The Whistling Bird

The Whistling Bird
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Gilbert
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A regional favorite for years, we are happy to offer our friends and neighbors on the Range a taste of the Caribbean good life! Old favorites and new inspirations alike will dazzle your senses and tempt your appetite. Couple that with friendly staff and some of the finest tropical and tiki cocktails in the midwest, and it’s winner, winner jerk chicken dinner! From the beginning our mission has been simple: to resurrect the best of the Whistling Bird’s past, and elevate it to a new, even higher level of quality, taste and fun! We know you’re going to like it. It would be hard not to.
Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

The Whistling Bird is truly a hidden gem in Gilbert MN. The food is certainly not what one would expect on the range, but it is absolutely delicious! The atmosphere is great - feels Caribbean, clean, and comfortable. I am so pleasantly surprised by this restaurant, I will definitely be back. I had the Ahi Tuna - not something that you can find on any menus in northern MN, and it was great - light sear, sesame, a mustard wasabi sauce.... wow. If you are ever within reach of The Whistling Bird, make sure to check it out.

Reviewed December 5, 2016

I've been lucky enough to dine with the Bird three times now, and very few eateries can boast of making me smile this big, every time. My Blackened Mahi-Mahi was possibly the best fish dish I've ever had in a restaurant. Wow. All three other meals still have my wife and friends talking too. And if you don't order the Thai Chili Chicken Coconut soup, you may just cry a little when you taste someone else's.

Reviewed October 3, 2016

It's hard to find a standout full service restaurant on the Minnesota Iron Range but the Whistling Bird is a local favorite. We arrived without reservation on a busy Saturday night, and the staff couldn't have been more accomodating. They were able to get us a nice table with a short wait, we we're glad they could...the food was fabulous. One in our party had the "Guacho steak" and pronounced it the best steak dinner she'd ever had.

The Jamaican theme and food is a real surprise in the Minnesota northcountry, but the food and decor were everything they set themselves up to be. This restaurant is worth driving to even if you are 50-100 miles away...nothing better around.

Reviewed September 15, 2016

We were pleasantly surprised by finding food with a Caribbean influence in far northern Minnesota. Jerk seasoning. You can have it as hot as you can stand it. Wonderful fresh soup where the flavors absolutely "popped". Fresh tasty bread. Heard from several locals that this was THE PLACE to go. Ample portions, reasonable. Delectable desserts.

Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

First we were asked if we had reservations. Not sure why as no one was there. The food was okay. I had the pork tenderloin with mango chutney. My friend had the lobster mac and cheese. The lobster was bad. Our drink orders took forever. We were next to the kitchen and were able to watch the cook wipe her nose with her hand and continue cooking.
Pretty much gross for everyone.

2  Thank Renae An Eric W

Been to The Whistling Bird? Share your experiences!