“What a place! Variety of animals!”

Hemker Park and Zoo
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Freeport
More attraction details
Owner description: Hemker Park & Zoo is open from May 1 - October 31. We are open from 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Who knew this was even here? Such a wide variety of animals! The best part was buying the bird seed sticks for $1 and going into the small bird cage. The little birds would come up onto the kids sticks and eat the food. I would high recommend doing that!

You will be shocked by the animals you will find in Freeport MN- worth the stop!

They also provide a picnic area and wash stations so that you can wash your hands whenever you would like.

3  Thank aimoMN
All reviews
"unexpected gem"
"giraffe feeding"
in 2 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
"picnic area"
"wildlife"
"movie"
"marcello"

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Very awesome zoo! They could do a better job of cleaning up animal feces in the exhibits, but it was still a great experience! My mom and I love visiting Hemker. The best is when you can buy a stick of bird feed on it, and all the birds they have will fly right up to you. It's amazing! Very inexpensive admission for such fun. I am very excited for them to get their giraffe! There are many different ways to interact with the animals, which makes this zoo one of my favorites. I LOVE feeding the monkeys!!!! I fed one of them, and oh they were so happy! The one monkey was legitimately smiling at me and my mom! So cute! Can't wait to go back for a third time.

4  Thank Madison L
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was the second time we visited the Hemker Zoo. There were a lot of upgrades and they added a new bird house where kids can feed seed sticks to budgies. The owners are very nice and work hard to keep the animals in good care. They also added a great playground and a few nice sitting areas. My kids had a blast running around checking out the animals and another bonus was that we did to have to fight any crowds!

5  Thank Lizbug11
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Hemker Zoo is wonderful! I first visited the zoo in September 2013 with my mom, who was visiting from North Carolina and my son. We had an amazing time. It's small enough to get to see all of the animals and yet they have camels, zebras, penguins and even flamingos in Minnesota. We used to live in Florida and I have been to Sea World 12 times and this was honestly way more fun. We weren't overwhelmed, got to feed and interact with tons of animals, and fell in love with this place. I hosted my son's first birthday party here in October for 30 people and the owners did everything they could to make sure it was a perfect day. We had rain, cold, and wind but it was still a wonderful time and we will be getting season passes annually from here on. I can't imagine a better place to bring children and have an amazing time!

6  Thank Awipper