“Check your order!”

Ranked #28 of 32 Restaurants in Excelsior
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Check your order!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I love the food here but frequently receive the wrong items that I ordered. As long as I get what I ordered, and check my order before I head out the door I am usually quite pleased. I wish they still heated up the lemon sauce for the lemon chicken though!

Visited January 2013

Minneapolis
“We wish it was better”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Ming Wok in Excelsior recently closed, leaving a hole in the "Chinese restaurant" category for the SW suburbs of Minneapolis. As a result, we returned to Happy Garden II, where we'd dined before Ming Wok opened -- we wanted to see if it had improved any in the 10-15 years since we'd been there. Sadly, the answer is "it hasn't." The restaurant's ambiance leaves much to be desired; clearly Happy Garden's main revenue stream is take-out. The dining room has always been far too large for its clientele, leaving diners feeling like they're rattling around in a large, empty space. Far from Ming Wok's intimate atmosphere. But the food was the reason we were there, and, as had been the case years earlier, we were again disappointed. I ordered the Chicken Almond Ding. The chicken itself was a mix of white and dark meat chunks, each one of which seemed to be laden with fat or gristle. While the vegetables were good, the sauce was nothing out of the ordinary. My wife ordered a curry dish and remarked at how unremarkable it was. The service was almost too fast -- our meals arrived at the table within 5 minutes of being ordered. Clearly this is a restaurant geared toward take-out. The waiter returned to the table to hand us our check and ask if we wanted boxes for leftovers when we hadn't even gotten halfway through our meal. Although it's unfair to continually compare Happy Garden II to Ming Wok, it's impossible not to, because the latter had set such a high standard for Asian food in this area. Will we be returning to Happy Garden II? Perhaps, but only if we can't find another, better Asian restaurant within a 10-mile radius.

• Visited July 2012
Midwest
“Gives me a gutt ache every time!”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Don't know what happened to this place - It was really good but something has happened. The owners are really nice but do not speak English very well and they have a manager that is really... strange. The high school girls seem to do the best they can but sometimes seems like they are running the joint. It is going under - tried one last time tonight but the stomach can't handle what their dishing up. No more.

Visited February 2012