“Glad we stayed here - we will be back!”
Review of Grand Ely Lodge

Grand Ely Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ely
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed at Grand Ely Lodge on June 19th - unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and it was rather cold and lightly rained on and off all day. We walked down to the Marina - which was very nice - several docks with benches - and a variety of boats - some free and some for rent. We could have fished, but it was too cold to be comfortable so we opted to sit and look at the beautiful scenery for a bit instead.
The room was very nice, with a comfortable king size bed, a small refrigerator, microwave, and a sink, seperate from the bathroom. We also had a couch, coffee table, another higher table and with a lamp and chairs, considered to be a work space, if desired. The cost of the room was about $140 with tax and we felt it was a fair price for the value we received. We ate at the restaurant that night and the food was excellent. The following day, we went on four mile bike ride on the very nice complimentary bikes - (2 hours free use) and although I'm not in the best physical shape, the bikes were superb and user friendly. They were 3 speed automatic shifters and if I was able to do it, anybody could. The bike trail was right across the street from the hotel and the path was through a beautiful scenic area and around a small lake. It took about an hour to do the ride and we considered going around one more time, but decided to pack up and journey on to our next destination.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Ely Lodge

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at the Grand Ely Lodge and we were very happy with the room, hotel amenities and food in the resturant/bar. Helpful people at front desk and extremely friendly. Room was clean as was pool area. We will definitely be back to do more hiking and take in this beautiful area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jgrotrian
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Easy check in, darling northwoods decorated lobby with fireplace. Cosy and lively bar with attentive staff and delicious food. Husband enjoyed his wings (Jack Daniel's sauced) and bacon cheeseburger, I loved my walleye dinner. Very fresh fish! Our king room was on the third floor, lakeside, with an incredible view of Shagawa lake. Very clean and quiet night's rest on a super comfy mattress. Delicious breakfast of eggs benedict, highly recommended, perfectly poached eggs and decadent hollandaise.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank htflsh
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We were told on check in that they were "upgrading" our room "at no extra charge" to a room w/whirlpool. We went to room and found the room configuration poor, due to whirlpool being right next to the bed and replaces the space for chair. We turned around and told front desk we did not want the "upgraded room" to which they said they had nothing else. This room was also directly above the lounge/bar and consequently loud at night. Informed them of the noise and got one coupon for a complimentary breakfast. Had to spend 3 nights in this loud room, the 4th and final night they allowed us to move to a room that we asked for that we were able to get a decent nights sleep. Will not return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy8MplsMN
Reviewed October 1, 2010

I stayed at the Lodge for business. Food was exceptional as was the guest room. The internet service complimentary and easy. Service was friendly! Great Stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Circus007
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We spent two nights here. While there, I checked my checking account only to find out I had 3 charges from the hotel on my account. I spoke with the front desk multiple times and an hour later, finally it looked like it had been cleared up. They gave my family breakfast coupons, which was a nice gesture. The day after I got home, I checked to find the correct charge was on my account. I thought all was well until, a purchase was denied at a nearby store. I knew I had more than enough money in my account. I checked online only to find that I had been double charged. I called the Lodge and my bank. The Lodge said that they would credit my account, but so far, nothing has shown up. I had to run over to the bank to make sure I wouldn't be overdrafted. Luckily, I did, because a $35 overdraft was assessed and then credited. I tried to call the Lodge today and the phone rings and rings and then hangs up.
The place is very nice and most of the people I dealt with were wonderful. This is just a warning to not use a debit card here. My bank said that I was the third person he had to help last week because of debit cards and hotel charges (not only this hotel). If they don't credit it back to my account, I will have to file a dispute, which will take up to 45 days to get my money back. Beware!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank BSExpress2
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Stayed here prior to a guided BWCA trip. We literally rolled in at 1AM and left 6 hours later. We stayed in a suite which was simply decorated and fairly clean. Would have been happy to stay longer. The only glitch was despite confirming our reservation just 6 hours prior to checking in and informing them of our late arrival they seemed very surprised when we actually arrived. This is not the type of hotel we typically stay at but probably the nicest place in Ely.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family