“"A Lodge You Will Want to Return To Every Year"”
Review of Burntside Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ely
Burntside Lodge
Ranked #3 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Ely
“"A Lodge You Will Want to Return To Every Year"”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Burntside Lodge is a northwoods experience that you will want to relive over and over. The lodge is set on the banks of Burntside Lake, very near Ely, Minnesota. It is a large property with many log cabins for accommodations. The log cabins have been renovated so that these are not rustic cabins - they are like staying in a very nice home. To sit next to the lake while the sun goes down and the loons are wailing is a memorable and spiritual experience. The restaurant features fine dining and the bartender can mix an excellent cocktail. Lonnie and Lou have carried on a great tradition that goes back to around 1918. When we were there in late May, the weather was wonderful and there were no biting insects out. What a trip! There are many things to do in the Ely area, but you can choose to just soak up the ambience of a wonderful old resort. Enjoy!
Bob from Rockford, Illinois

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Leaf River Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Burntside Lodge is beautiful, relaxing & peaceful. Celebrating its 100th year, this amazing lodge is on the National Register of Historic Places. Listen to the loons, walk the trails, enjoy the Sauna, boating, fishing, & share the same lake as naturalist Sig Olson. Cabin 10 was remodeled this year with granite counter tops. Plush Turkish towels were abundant. The 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom cabin had service for 6 & everything for the kitchen including a Krups toaster. The lodge office has a gift shop, coffee bar, a lounge & a fantastic dining room, with Saturday evening entertainment. Lonnie is the most gracious hostess & spends much of her busy day visiting with her guests. Burntside Lake is incredible, the 5 nights we were there we identified 83 bird species. Burntside Lodge is a place of excellence & the perfect place to "get away from it all".

Room Tip: Ask if Cabin 1 is available, it's right on the edge of Burntside Lake
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bellaire, Michigan
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had long heard about Burntside Lodge and it was one place I wanted to visit, especially Cabin 26. It is the most photographed cabin in MN and the setting is unbelievably beautiful. The views from the windows and the surrounding rocks can't be matched. And it is wonderfully decorated. We managed in a double bed and no tv or wifi. On the downside, it is a very expensive resort which is fine. But they could be more generous in their amenities. There is a coffeemaker in the room, but you have to buy coffee. There was no shampoo supplied. And they are anxious to sell you coffee in the lodge. There isn't even a television in the lodge or something to entertain guests. So bring a lot of books if you plan to stay here and bring your own coffee. Overall, it was a good experience but it could have been better.

Room Tip: Cabin 26 has awesome views and you are the only ones to enjoy the rocks around the cabin. But it do...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank antiquetravelers
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our stay was 5 star from the moment we arrived. We were greeted by friendly staff that made us feel welcome and comfortable. They were ready to accommodate our requests. (We asked for an additional fan in our cabin - 2 old ladies needed fans) We spent time in the lake (crystal clear water and nice sand beach). We had dinner in town and at the lodge. Both were 5 star. The staff in the restaurant was outstanding and appropriately friendly. The trip was a homecoming for me and did not disappoint. It recharged my spirit as did the visit to Sig Olson's listening point.

Room Tip: Check the cabin layout so you what suits you best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I just got back from my second visit to the Burntside Lodge. Once again I had a wonderful time. Thank you Lou and Lonnie for all you do!
We had cabin 23 and it was perfect for my girlfriend and I. We liked that the cabin was close to the Lodge and Lake. The cabin had a small Kitchenette area and a easy to use gas heater. The beds were very comfortable with soft linens.
The Lodge area is so beautiful with a relaxing coffee bar. We had a delicious vanilla flavored latte and a warm blueberry scone while catching up with Lonnie and her family.
We also had another top-notch meal in the restaurant. I would recommend the scallops appetizer. There were 6 large scallops cooked to perfection with a lovely citrus fennel slaw. My entree was the fish of the day which was herring, a nice white fish sauteed. My friend got the popular walleye and we both enjoyed our choices. There are large windows all around the restaurant to view the gorgeous sunsets too. Since we had been kayaking on the Burnside Lake earlier we felt guilt -free eating dessert too. There were many tasty choices and we ended up with a chocolate covered peanut butter mousse and homemade banana ice cream . Yum! The Kitchen staff and waiters are the best.
My girlfriend and I are both Travel Agents so we have been to many wonderful resorts. I can say with great confidence come and check out the Burntside Lodge. We are sure it will be very relaxing and memorable!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lincoln Ne.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have stayed at the Burntside Lodge off and on since the early 2000's and hadn't stayed there since 2005. Burntside is 12 hours from where I live so it isn't "just down the road" but a place I need to make the effort to visit. My wife and I just left today (July 13th) after a 4 night stay in Cabin 23 and my heart was breaking as we drove out. Both of us agreed that "I wonder what our blood pressure is now that we were here for four very quiet, glorious and peaceful" days?" This place is the best for romance, quiet, relaxation, scenery and when you may feel the urge to drive into Ely MN, it's merely a 5 minute drive in to "civilation". Lou and Lonnie and family members always make you feel so, SO welcomed and make for sure your stay is perfect. They also offer things such as Yoga (which I took part in one morning) and other activities such as going to "Listening Point" which was Sigurd Olson's cabin on Burntside Lake. The "guide" Chuck was fantastic and it didn't cost us a penny. My wife just had to buy a "laptop" for this trip so she could "do some work" while in the cabin...she also brought a bunch of DVD's (to my disapointment) in case she got bored.....well...we didn't do an ounce of work, watched only 1/2 of one DVD and then she commented, "I haven't read 3 books (and in 4 days) in years!" We will be back and if you are wavering about going to Burntside......get off your duff and book your reservation and enjoy the experience!

Room Tip: The best cabins in my view point are right on the lake BUT, they can also have more foot traffic by...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deliveryman
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My parents brought us to Burntside Lodge in the 1950s and I have returned many times as an adult, and last year we introduced our next generation to its magic. So much is the same as when we first visited: the graciousness of the hosts Lou and Lonnie (his parents ran it when I was first there), the cabins (exteriors unchanged, but the interiors have been updated and are very comfortable while still miantaining a feel of the north woods), the wonderful lodge with its enormous stone fireplace and lounge and diningroom overlooking the lake, the tall fragrant pines, the sandy swimming beach, the loons calling at dusk. Things that are new include a well equiped workout room, wifi in the lodge's library, beautiful gardens planted by Lonnie and a fountain on the old shuffleboard court. The food in the diningroom is fresh and delicious and beautifully presented by the friendly and helpful waitstaff. I am always sorry when it's time to leave this quiet piece of paradise!

Room Tip: Each cabin I've stayed in over the years has its own charm.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family