“very clean”
Review of Shagawa Inn Resort

Shagawa Inn Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ely
Shagawa Inn Resort
Ranked #29 of 34 Specialty Lodging in Ely
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here in July while visiting the BWCA. The location was nice - right on the lake! We were able to take advantage of their canoes during an evening paddle which was great! The "cabin" we stayed in was small but very, very clean! I think the owner should think about new beds and especially new blankets - they were very worn and used too many times! It is not really a resort - more of a small cabin setting which reminded me of a room from the 1950's! The price was reasonable and it was good for a one night stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sharonn874

Reviewed February 11, 2012

I stayed in the Point Cabin up on the hill at Shagawa Inn Resort for a week while my husband was in the Boundary Waters on a fishing trip. My husband also spent Labor Day weekend with me in the cabin. The cabin is large and comfortable. The kitchen has recently been remodeled and it is first-rate; it is well-supplied and has new appliances.

The cabin has cable TV, air-conditioning (which I didn't need so I don't know how well it worked) and a very comfortable bathroom with tub and shower. The bed is OK, nothing luxurious, but fine for a cabin experience. We only used one of the two bedrooms.

The cabin was clean and well furnished. Not upscale, just what you might expect in a cabin.

The point cabin has a nice view of the lake from up high, and it was fun to watch the seaplanes take off and land (Shagawa Inn is near the Forest Service Seaplane Base). It was quiet up on the hill, and I appreciated the availability of wireless Internet at the resort office. This is not available at all cabins in the Ely area.

I would love to spend another week at Shagawa Inn Resort. It was convenient to the town of Ely, which is a great place to spend the day or have lunch. Dining at Burntside Lodge in the evening a couple of times was a great treat. I went to sleep every night with the bedroom window open, listening to the song of the loons. Heavenly!

Room Tip: I would recommend the Point Cabin if you like privacy and feeling away from the action. It isn'...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Lynda C
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I would not by any means consider this a resort. It's really a 50's era motel that has not been updated since that time. We stayed in the cabin motel, which meant that we got a tiny room right on the lake. And nothing else.

I would call this a campground, since it was more that than anything else, but there was nowhere to build a fire, which was all we really wanted to do on the lake. That and canoe. They told us they rented canoes, but when we got there we found out they only had one, which was rented out already.

For what we spent, I'd rather stay in a Holiday Inn. Except Ely doesn't have any.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CelticHeather
Reviewed January 30, 2007

We had a "hotel" room which is kind of a cabin duplex. The room was quite small, but I did like the knotty pine walls, which is something that attracted me on the website. No bathtub; only a shower. The wall A/C unit was basically unusable because it was unbearably loud and old and inefficient. But luckily, it wasn't really that hot, so we didn't really need it. We didn't try the very small tv, but it looked like it was at least 30 years old (I'm not exaggerating. It had a channel DIAL, and I think it was only black and white, not color). The room didn't seem to have housekeeping service since the beds were not made between uses and the towels were not replaced.

But we didn't really mind the fact that it was frankly "rustic". We only stayed there the night before and for three nights after a 5 day wilderness canoe trip. So we didn't need luxury. The porch was convenient for leaving our wet canoeing shoes out so that they would not mildew or stink up our room or our minivan.

My kids enjoyed playing on the swingset near the lake. We appreciated being able to use the freezer in the fish-cleaning house to store a few perishables for our canoe trip. Being right on the lake was convenient when my husband decided on the spur of the moment to book a float plane trip on our last morning when the skies turned out to be beautifully clear. The plane was able to land on the lake and pick us up right at the dock.

The location is nice---on the lake and only minutes from town, and the place might be better for renting a whole cabin if you like to fish or otherwise take advantage of the lake. However, we will probably try one of the in-town hotels for our next trip to Ely.

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank GS-CS_leader
A TripAdvisor Member
Granger, In
Reviewed June 22, 2004

We just got back from our annual fishing trip last week. We stayed at the Shagawa Inn Resort as usual for the last 20 yrs. We had one of the best fishing weeks that we had in a long while. The walleye were biting and we caught our limit each day. The other fish were biting also,bass and perch. We hated to leave. Hospitality as usual was great at the Shagawa Inn Resort and we recommend the resort to all. A relaxing and entertaining vacation.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member