“We'll be back again and again” 5 of 5 bubbles

Motel Ely Budget Host
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Ely
GreenLeadersGold level
Hudson, Wisconsin
“We'll be back again and again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Motel Ely. The rooms sparkle they are so clean and the staff is very friendly and knowledgable on where to go and what to do in and around Ely. You can tell they really take pride in their motel and care about their guests comfort. We'll be back next year!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YaYaGardener

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Scandia, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

I just spent five days there on a business trip. I slept like a rock every night on brand new mattresses. The motel is exceptionally clean. Parking is right at the rooms. Roger and Deb, the owners, are both accommodating and knowledgeable about the area.. The motel is walking distance to many really good restaurants/cafes and downtown Ely shopping.

Room Tip: enjoy the food in Ely.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank none55073
Eagan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

Debbie and Roger were friendly and accommodating. Our room was clean, neat and welcoming. Comfortable bed. It is nice to see Debbie and Roger keeping the "motel" era in the days of corporate, look-alike hotels. We will stay there on future trips to Ely and have already told friends and family about the Motel Ely.

In the morning there was fruit, muffins, and coffee in the motel office for guests. The rooms also have a coffeemaker, microwave and room size refridgerator.

See you next visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mooseEagan
Thief River Falls, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

i stayed here a while back while on a motorcycle trip with a bunch of buddies. Roger (he and his wife Debbie are the owners) was kind enough to place towels on our frosty seats the chillier morning. After riding around all day saturday, we came back to a clean room completely restocked. Sunday morning, on our way out of town, Roger not only recommended a restaurant for breakfast, he jumped on his Hog and led the way!

Roger also helped by providing tools to help me repair a gas leak I had. I don't think that's standard service, but then again I'm usually on my own camping or otherwise roughing it.

I found the owners of this motel to be very thoughtful in their hospitality. They knew what it's like to be on a bike for the weekend, and provided service accordingly.

This is not exactly the ritz, but it's a great place to lay your head while you're in town.

If you're wondering why I gave the "sleep quality" rating low is because my buddy snores like it's going out of style. The beds are quite comfortable and I would have otherwise slept like a rock!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank jeepers-peepers
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

This was approx. my 7-8th stay at the motel. Each an every time we have had a fabulous experience. The motel is conveniently located to downtown shopping, the rooms are always clean and very quiet for being close to a downtown setting. The staff is always very accomodating, helpful and friendly. My only regret is that I am not able to extend my stay and am unable to only travel to Ely once a year. The owners are very knowledgeable and familair with the area so they are able to act as excellent tour guides! Can't wait to go back in 2011!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank bstansberry
New London, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

This has been the only place I've ever stayed that I had to dial 911 from behind the front desk to get a Police Officer to come and check on the welfare of a missing employee.
A man unlocked our door and opened it while we were in the room, when we confronted him outside he held a room key with our number on it, so we went to the front desk to check his story and complain. A group had gathered in the lobby and no-one answered the phone or our repeated yelling up the stairs to the caretakers apartment. Officer came and climbed the stairs announcing "Police Deptmartment" over and over until he found the lady asleep in a chair and had to wake her. Now the unsafe part;
The keys to EVERY room are hanging right behind the counter and clearly labled! Any person with ill intent could simply reach over the counter and take whichever key they wanted! The man that entered our room found the key in his room (still don't know why he "tried it out" could have gotten himself shot), turns out the housekeeping left it there while cleaning???
Simply hotel safeguards should be in place to avoid a tragedy in the future.
Rooms had way too much "fabreeze" like product sprayed everywhere
Room #13 cold water didn't work, but did leak all over the bathroom sink
Room #3 had a hole in the wall that was stuffed with toilet paper (gross)
This motel has a 4 Lantern rating in the budget host book!?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank njridlers1
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

We were one of four couples who stayed at the Budget Host when we were in Ely to pick up our kids from camp. We found the parking convenient, the rooms clean, and the staff super friendly. We called to say we would be checking in late and they offered to go in and turn on the A/C for us, and give our key to another in our party for our convenience.

The next morning my wife borrowed a hair dryer, and then the next day I realized I had left my glasses there. I called and they actually found them, and mailed them out to me.

Bottom line, nice friendly and clean. Convenient to Ely stores and restaurants.

• Liked — Friendly service.
  • Disliked — Air Conditioning was a bit loud.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MNtravelfam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ely
Northern Lights Lodge
#2 of 3 in Ely
Adventure Inn
Adventure Inn
#2 of 8 in Ely

Been to Motel Ely Budget Host? Share your experiences!