“Getting more expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ely Steak House

Ely Steak House
Ranked #6 of 28 Restaurants in Ely
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Macomb, IL
“Getting more expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We are annual visitors to Ely, MN, principally to "do" a trip into the Boundary Waters and secondarily to poke around Ely and surrounding area.

We generally eat at the Ely Steak House once a year. Generally the food quality has been excellent in the past.

Our waitress, Katie, was charming, friendly and tastefully attentive.

I think the menu has changed since we ate there in 2013. Entries and sandwiches seemed more expensive than last year. The portions seemed smaller.

What we ordered ( broiled walleye and fried walleye sandwich) were very tasty. However, our bill with tip was $65. I had no alcoholic beverages; my husband had two.

If we had chosen to eat between 3 to 4:45 we could have gotten a senior citizen dinner for $13.95, certainly more affordable.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I think the Ely Steak House needs to lower prices a little.

• Visited July 2014

Manteno, Illinois
“Pricey but good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We ate here twice on our last visit to Ely. I enjoyed the food but they are very pricey: steaks around $25 in a bar-like atmosphere. Our first visit was ruined by a really loud, rude table next to us watching soccer. Sports bars are quieter. I was disappointed the staff didn't say anything.

On our first visit I got the rib eye. It had a very good flavor but like most rib eyes, kind of fatty. The salad was awesome! They put sunflower seeds on it. I never had that and it was delicious. The lettuce was super fresh! The ranch dressing was very good.

The second visit was better as far as other visitors but I didn't enjoy the food as much. I got the "top sirloin butt steak". This was a very think steak so it didn't cook right. I asked for medium and it was cooked fine on the outer edge but raw in the middle. They "butterflied" when they cooked it more and it was much better.

If you don't mind the price, it's really good!

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“The Bucky Burger is a must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have spent the last 6 summers in Ely and visiting the Ely Steakhouse is a must. The burgers are absolutely incredible, in particular their special Bucky Burger, certainly hits the spot! The drinks menu has something for all, but many of my friends go for the 'toe sucker'! Highly recommend visiting this place, even if it's just for a beer and to play some FREE pool! During my visits over the last 6 summers this place has never failed to hit the spot, with great food, service and general quality. The atmosphere is always fun too!

• Visited May 2014
Saint Paul, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Should Have Had the Steak”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We visited the Ely Steak House for lunch on our 50th anniversary. We spent the day driving from Two Harbors to Ely, visiting the attractions in and around town, and looking for those "something special" things to see and do. Because of other reviews we decided on the steak house for our noon meal however did not want a steak that time of day. Instead we ordered shrimp. Bad decision. The shrimp were tiny and tasted like they were formed of chopped shrimp or other seafood...not at all what we expected. The sides were very ordinary. We won't be tempted to try another visit.

Visited June 2014
Stillwater, Minnesota
“Great Food & Nice Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

Four friends visited the Ely Steak house. We each purchased different menu items and all of us enjoyed our meals. Although the food is not quite as good as a big city steak house, it is much better than typical fare in a small town restaurant. The waitress was attentive and pleasant. We enjoyed the experience and would come back again. This was the third time I had eaten here and plan to go back again when I next am in Ely.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Ely Steak House? Share your experiences!