“Caters more to lunch crowd than dinner”

The Chocolate Moose
Ranked #11 of 31 Restaurants in Ely
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Ate dinner here with another couple. This place is usually PACKED for lunch & we had never tried dinner. Had to wait about 1/2 hour so browsed next door at Piragis (where the restrooms are located). I had salad, wild rice pilaf, chicken with a sauce, snap peas. Slice of specialty bread served with salad but no bread/butter with the meal. It was tasty, but probably a little over priced. But Ely is a tourist town so expect to pay a little more everywhere. Very casual & you can eat outside, too.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

My wife and I had a great dinner here. The food was amazing and the service incredible. They have a great beer selection, fresh fish and great salads. best restaurant we've eaten at in Ely.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

Ate here after my friends and I came out of the Boundary Waters. Even though we had not taken showers we were well received and the service was friendly. Food was very good. Had a vegetatarian with us and there were several selections that suited her. Actually had too much food to eat. Nice craft beers. Friendly wait staff. Love the big moose head and the atmosphere was Northwoodsy without it being over the top. We ate upstairs and had a nice view of the restaurant.

Reviewed August 31, 2014

I think Chocolate Moose is better fit to the lunch crowd, and crowded it usually is. We tried dinner and it was nothing exceptional. Had shrimp Mac-Cheese and it was kind of a joke, a few salad shrimp sprinkled into a rotini style pasta. Way over priced and tasteless. My wife had the walleye and it was better at the casino , and cheaper. Like the deserts and muffins, but not a great dinner

Reviewed August 24, 2014

I really like this place. It is always busy, comfortable atmosphere inside, seems very clean and well run.
I just wish they had more vegetarian options. I was in recently for dinner and couldn't find anything besides a salad on the menu that wasn't laden with cheese and meat.
Also, some organic ingredients would be great.
The beer was good!