“Look elsewhere”

A Taste of Ely
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Ely
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Looking for a great Breakfast or Lunch while in Ely? Choose A Taste of Ely. Breakfast Features: Stuffed Blueberry French Toast, Heaping Stuffed Hash Browns, Applewood Smoked Bacon and Cranberry Wild Rice Bread... and more Lunch Features: Turkey Bacon Pesto Panini ( fresh oven roasted turkey), Best Dang Burger, BBQ Chicken Bacon Cheddar Quesadilla, Chicken Harvest Salad... and more Located downtown Ely! Across from Tony's, Next to Piragis JOIN US TODAY
Nashville, Tennessee
“Look elsewhere”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I decided to have lunch here because it was next to Pirgis, where I was shopping, and it had good reviews on Trip Advisor. I went in and was seated in the outdoor area, which was fine. I ordered a cheeseburger, with "chips" and potato salad -- A choice I thought would be safe. The food was truly the worst I have had in a long time. The burger was dry and totally tasteless, almost inedible. I can't remember ever getting a burger as bad. The "chips" were plain corn chips, the type you would expect to get with salsa. I guess I was expecting potato chips. The potato salad was inedible. The potatoes were undercooked and hard, coated with what seamed to be a flavorless substance resembling mayonnaise. Awful. The waitress never returned to refill my drink or ask how the food was. It then began to rain and I had to pick up my plates and move to a covered area beneath an umbrella, but still no waitress to be seen or to help. My advice is to avoid this place.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank caddis44

Eagan, Minnesota
“Must Visit”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We ate here for lunch, i had a sandwich with turkey, guac, bacon, etc it was AMAZING! they have a great selection of books/table games to choose from while you wait.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank J W
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Little Gem”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had 2 dinners at this place.
Staff very friendly, food basic but of really good quality and reasonably priced.
I would recommend the Turkey Ely dinner and the meatballs.

Visited October 2012
Ohio
“Wonderfully Unique Dining Experience”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Vacationing with parents in Minnesota and spent the day in Ely. I had browsed a couple restaurants on TripAdvisor earlier in the day and had a short list of places to consider. But after reviewing the menu with the folks, the unique, local entrees won out over the steakhouse and burger joint.

The atmosphere inside the restaurant leaves a little to be desired. I was half-expecting a slighly more comfortable, family-style restaurant, but instead it has the look and feel of a small-town diner. However, I liked their use of photos and articles taken from local papers over the years, set in enamel table tops, which provides some history and interesting conversation while waiting for dinner. But as you'll see, 'atmosphere' was really the only category where I didn't give them high marks.

The waitress was very friendly and didn't leave us waiting for menus or drinks. She seemed very familiar with the menu and made several recommenations, even assisting us with a couple substitutions of side items.

When the side salads arrived, we were astonished at how big they were..back home they could have been served as an entree at some restaurants. When dinner arrived, we were again again struck by the generous portion sizes. My father and I both ordered the sauteed portobello mushroom caps with feta cheese, served with grilled vegetables and wild rice. Mother had a dinner salad topped with walleye. The presentation and flavor of all our plates was wonderful. In the end, we were all stuffed and happy.

When I sat down to write this review, I noticed several others critical of their experience. Perhaps they caught the staff on a bad day, which is unfortunate. But speaking on behalf of my parents and myself, we were VERY pleased with our decision to dine at A Taste of Ely. I would have no trouble recommending it to visitors and will look forward to reading future reviews and perhaps dining there again one day on a return trip.

Bill (Cincinnati, OH)

• Visited October 2012
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved this place! Great food.”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had lunch and breakfast while I was here last month. The food was excellent. I had the "Tom and Peg" salad. I love the focus on Ely history and traditional foods from the area. It is also a very vegetarian friendly menu. Our server was super friendly and did a great job. Can't wait to come back next year get another taste of those blueberry scones!

• Visited August 2012