“Great service, great equipment, OK prices” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Piragis Northwoods Company Outfitters

Piragis Northwoods Company Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 5 Shopping in Ely
More attraction details
Owner description: Piragis Northwoods Company Outfitters is a full-service canoe trip outfitter for the Boundary Waters and Quetico Park. We rent canoes and kayaks and gear for one day or as long as you need. We have the area's premier guides for fishing and naturalist guided trips and offer discounts for scouts, churches and larger groups. Our canoes are lightweight kevlar and average about 42 pounds. We've been outfitting and guiding canoe trips since 1979.
Norway
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great service, great equipment, OK prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

I rented a kevlar canoe going on a solo trip in the Boundry Waters.
Got great help from this outfitter even before getting to Ely. There is no regular bus-route or any way to really get to Ely, but the outfitters were very helpful getting a ride when the bus wouldn´t take my any longer. The service, the shop, the people - everything worked out really well all the way till they picked me up after ten days in the wilderness. Great experience!

I later found that Piragis had some higher prices than other Outfitters in town.

Visited September 2013

Stillwater, Minnesota
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Browser's Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I love to browse through the Piragis store. They have great gear for a boundary waters trip. It is fun just to look at what they have for sale, even if you don't plan to buy anything. I generally purchase something. I always stop in Piragis whenever I am in Ely. They also have a great outfitting service which I have used years ago.

Visited May 2014
Friendswood, Texas, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best Bonding Trip EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

I took my 13 year old daughter on a 7-day guided trip with Steve and Cliff as an intro to the Boundary Waters for her. I wanted to share my experiences there when I was a teenager. I was beyond happy to find that she LOVED every aspect of the trip; even portaging which is hard work when all the packs weighed at least half as much as my 13-year old! I was proud of how hard she worked and overjoyed that she displayed a true passion for the great outdoors. She also caught nine fish during our journey which kept the whole group well fed during the week. Kudos to Piragis for such great outfitting and stellar guides. I could not dream of a better experience for both of us!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sarah A
Edina, Minnesota
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The outfitter for paddlers in the BWCA/Quetico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Piragis has been my outfitter of choice for over 20 years. The equipment is top-notch, the experience and advice of the employees has been second to none. They have earned my business and respect until I am no longer able to paddle.

Visited August 2013
Bedford, New Hampshire
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Outfitting for a seven day Boundary Water Paddle to Quetico Provincinal Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Drew and Adam are managers at Piragis Northwoods Outfitters. They certainly make our trip successful by providing us with canoes, paddles, packs, transportation to out put-in/take-out and maps - and important advice.

We found the town of Ely very friend. Great restaurants for breakfast and dinner. We were able to buy "boundary water beer! Ely also has a Bear Center and Wolf Center that we visited - a must.

Definitely will return to Ely and will use Piraqis as our outfitters.

Visited September 2013

Been to Piragis Northwoods Company Outfitters? Share your experiences!