“Aaron is awesome!”

Piragis Northwoods Company
Ranked #1 of 7 Shopping in Ely
More attraction details
Owner description: Piragis Northwoods Company Outfitters is a full-service canoe trip outfitter for the Boundary Waters and Quetico Park. We rent canoes and kayaks and gear for one day or as long as you need. We have the area's premier guides for fishing and naturalist guided trips and offer discounts for scouts, churches and larger groups. Our canoes are lightweight kevlar and average about 42 pounds. We've been outfitting and guiding canoe trips since 1979.
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Our first time to Ely and our first canoe expedition. We loved, loved the cool town of Ely, Piragus's awesome outfitter store, the beauty of the boundary waters and our guide Aaron. We rented two canoes and had Aaron with us the first day to show us the ropes and the good fishing spots. We are believers! I wish I was there right now. Our canoes were perfect. Piragus' is the BEST.

1  Thank Knavarro
"learning experience"
"day trips"
"bucket list"

Reviewed August 2, 2013

really enjoyed working with them. Great gear, good food, and just enough so that we had a little left over, but not so much that we were lugging around lots of extra weight.
These people really know what they're doing, and we will be back. The store is really cool as well, staffed with friendly and knowledgeable people.
Thank you for a great trip, even if it was rainy, stormy and really buggy (yes, I blame Piragis for that... ;) ....)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Of course, I wanted to buy one of everything they had in the store. What a wonderful place with extremely interesting items that you will find no where else. Amazing selection and very enthusiastic customer service. The atmosphere is worth the stop in the store!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have used Piragis for both full outfitting and partial fillin. I won't go into the Boundary Waters without stopping there first. Even those not canoeing with us stop at Piragis to shop great products, good & friendly advice and reasonable prices.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I planned a trip to boundary waters for two 9-man crews of Boy Scouts. Piragis outfitted our trip and helped us every step of the way. Adam and Drew, the outfitting guys, were great to work with at Piragis.

The Piragis store is an attraction in itself. We shopped before and after our trip. They have everything you can imagine. There's a huge selection of clothing and shoes, everything you would need for a wilderness trip from canoes and kayaks to camp stoves and fishing gear.

Piragis Outfitters offers everything from the rental of any gear you need, just canoes, or complete outfitting. We opted for complete outfitting and I would do it again. The food they provided was plentiful and wonderful.

One of our crews took a long trip at 60+ miles starting at one entry point and finishing at another. The other crew started with a long first day and set up one camp for the week taking day trips in different direction each day. The second crew included younger kids and this allowed us to portage without gear. Piragis helped us design these trips to meet our needs.

They appear to know everything about BWCA and helped advise us on entry points, gear, trip planning, food, things to do and see. Even though this was our first trip we felt like seasoned pros.

I am confident Piragis can meet the needs of any group - scouts, church, family, friends, fishermen. first-timers, and old pros.

I definitely want to go to BWCA again. I would definitely use Piragis again.

Been to Piragis Northwoods Company? Share your experiences!