“Amazing, breathtaking”

White Wilderness Sled Dog Adventures
Ranked #2 of 12 Tours in Ely
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Personalized dog sledding adventures in the scenic north woods of Minnesota. Learn to drive your own dog team. Custom day trips, yurt stays, lodge vacations, camping and fishing trips by dog team. Active vacations for ages 8 to 88, with friendly sled dogs and professional staff. All skills taught. One or two people/sled. Adventure guaranteed. Explore the Boundary Waters wilderness, pristine frozen lakes and enchanted boreal forests. See website for details and dogsledding packages.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

As a true animal lover, I was in awe of the dogs. Our guide Doug treated our team and his own as the leaders and experts they are. My boyfriend and I cannot wait to return. I literally didn't take my eyes off the dogs for our six hour journey. "Doggy TV" was truly amazing. I would recommend White Wilderness to anyone - athletic or otherwise - it was so wonderful.

2  Thank mpsoderb
in 6 reviews
"two nights"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Always wanted to try dog-sledding. From the moment we arived until we left had the best experence ever! Heather and Heather were really great, Dogs were fun. Area was beautiful. I'm hooked and can't wait to return.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My sister and I turned 57 (Mar 7) and 56 (Mar 18) and gave this trip to each other as our birthday present and did it on my actual birthday. We were afraid of no snow this late, but got lucky with 3-4" of new powder overnight and snow during our trip. Ladies - you've got to do this with a sister, girlfriend, son or daughter! You can do it with a boyfriend or husband, but make sure they let you drive 1/2 of the time. This is the best birthday I've had in at least 35 years! Good life is about spending time with people you love and making great memories. My sister just happened (perhaps some built up revenge over the years???!!!!) to tip over the sled twice while I was riding. Just that slow tilt, tilt, over - climb out and get back in. The second time I was laughing so hard it was difficult to get up! I got up expecting her to be waiting on the sled with the dogs in front. She had fallen off the back and was covered in snow and the dogs were just a couple of feet further waiting for us. You see - our sled got stuck between 2 trees and the dogs couldn't go any further. I know we will fondly remember this trip each year as we celebrate our birthdays. The setting is absolutely perfect - out in the forest, lots of snow and 6 amazing dogs pulling you along. Your guides are there to teach you what to do and catch your dogs when you don't quite do it like you're supposed to. I will be back with my sons and or daughter to create memories we can share together.

1  Thank Alice Q
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We've taken two multiple day trips with White Wilderness Dog Sled Adventures...and are planning a third. Everything about our adventures has been excellent: the sledding, our guides, the dogs, the food, the accommodations, the whole experience. Driving your own sled in the woods and on the lakes is thrilling, exciting, and beautiful. Our guides are not only truly skilled, caring professionals, but a lot of fun. I love all the dogs...except the one that jumps onto the rock instead of going around it....but that's part of the adventure, right? It is so cool learning their behaviors and individual characteristics. All the food was delicious. The lodge, the yurt, the winter camping....all great. And we even stayed warm...most of the time! One of our very favorite vacations.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had such a great time last year on the Winter Odyssey Adventure (4 days on the dog sleds, 5 nights of which 2 were at the Yurt), that we signed up for this year's North Woods Passage trip: 5 days on the dog sleds, 6 nights of which 4 are winter camping in the Boundary Waters. What a terrific adventure!
Mushing is a thrilling combination of gliding through the beauty of the forest cloaked in new fallen snow, navigating through the woods while hanging onto your sled, flying across frozen lakes, and interaction with the dogs who are so friendly, well-trained, and love to pull and run. From their excitement in anticipation of the run, to the magic of their running in silence, from the strength and intelligence they show on the trail, to the peacefulness when they curl up and rest, the dogs never fail to fascinate.
Our guides were true professionals...so skilled, very hard workers and such fun! Beside being amazing dog sledding leaders, they managed our winter camping experience beautifully. I enjoyed sleeping out on the ice under the stars. Finally, the food, the accomodations, logistics were all wonderful.
As our trip came to an end, I knew that we had to come back again! White Wilderness has my highest recommendation.

Been to White Wilderness Sled Dog Adventures? Share your experiences!