“Thrilling Lifetime Experience! We want to go again!”

White Wilderness Sled Dog Adventures
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in Ely
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Personalized dog sledding adventures in the scenic north woods of Minnesota. Learn to drive your own dog team. Custom day trips, yurt stays, lodge vacations, camping and fishing trips by dog team. Active vacations for ages 8 to 88, with friendly sled dogs and professional staff. All skills taught. One or two people/sled. Adventure guaranteed. Explore the Boundary Waters wilderness, pristine frozen lakes and enchanted boreal forests. See website for details and dogsledding packages.
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Our recent White Wilderness Winter Odyssey was a true adventure. We loved it! It was so much fun, one of the coolest things we have ever done. It was a trip of a lifetime and we are already planning another. [The Winter Odyssy was 5 nights and 4 days mushing...only the first day was a day trip.]

I'll begin with the Dogs. The first thing we did was meet them and rub their bellies...so friendly. When we harnessed them and hooked them up to the gang line there was so much excitement: not only ours, but those dogs want to run and run and run. They love to pull and pull some more. It was fascinating learning about the various personalities, skills and habits of these beautiful dogs.

After getting excellent instruction from Peter and our guides, we flew out of the kennel, each on our own sled ....on the brake. At first it was a bit scary, but that soon turned to exhilaration as we got experience traveling along forest roads, trails through the woods (and swamps) and onto the lakes. With the snow down this year the adventure level was high! I was challenged in ways I never imagined; but it was thrilling. Our guides, able to gauge what we could do, gave me the confidence to handle the sled in a variety of conditions. (Although my lead dog, Skandig, was really in charge!)

And while I had already experienced the beauty of Superior National Forest and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness during our annual canoe trips, now I was able to enjoy the splendor of the winter in the forest and on the lakes. We didn't even think (much) about the fact that it was sub-zero temperatures!

Theo and Mike were consummate guides, always professional and patient as they led us, taught us, helped us, inspired us and laughed with us. Our meals were delicious: all were hot and creative...even those cooked on the ice. The accommodations were terrific: the lodge was a lovely, comfortable condo convenient to the kennel and the yurt was great: cozy and comfy, nestled in a remote part of the forest.

I'll end with the dogs. The night run to the kennel was magical. It was all about trusting our dogs. They knew the way back to the kennel and we flew silently through the night. We were lucky that the northern Minnesota sky was filled with stars! I don't know if I have ever seen so many. And our final approach to the kennel was lit with lanterns and the filled with the sound of the other dogs welcoming us back from our multiple day adventure!

Thanks go to Peter, Theo and Mike. Love to Skandig, Possom, Zevi, Jesse and Pickles. And to Goblin, Hodag, Ufda and Fluke. Also to Serendipity, Shrek and Gunny. You are all awesome.

2  Thank mbpacker
in 6 reviews
"two nights"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed December 27, 2011

Thanks for the trip guy's
Wasn't quite sure what to expect since none of us ever sledded before.
Super great guides and everyone had a blast.
Want to go again
Thought the price was very reasonable concerning all the logistics involved.
Would recommend to anyone, any age.
RC

1  Thank Ross C
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We had a WONDERFUL time sledding with White Wilderness!! The dogs were sweet, Heather and Theo were fantastic guides, and everything about the experience was incredible. Here is an ode I wrote (inspired by Robert Service).

We have an empty house for Christmas
So from our home we fled.
We wanted an adventure
With some Huskies and a sled.

We checked up on the internet
and found White Wilderness.
They promised an adventure
Without a bit of stress.

We checked on all the options
and desided Whispering Pines.
'Cause they'd teach us, and then take us
on journies for three times.

So up to McDougal house we flew,
my wife and I together,
And met our guide and dining-chef,
A woman name of Heather.

Then we put on layers one and two,
and then add three and four.
And after breakfast we got up
and headed out the door.

Heather taught us how to harness up
and commands like "gee" and "haw".
And how to break on down-hills;
it almost was a law.

So soon we were out on our sleds
and traveling down the trails.
With views of alder, birch and pine,
and happy doggie tails.

Through the Minnesota woods
we travelled far and wide.
Behind our team of pulling dogs
a fun exciting ride.

For four and twenty miles
we were pulled by that gang-line.
Then headed back to McDougal house
to sumptuously dine.

On Wednesday we got in the truck
and headed down the road,
To run a different trailhead,
With fifteen dogs our load.

We cut through freshly fallen snow
on trail and railroad track.
Then toward the end of a great day,
We saddly headed back.

The highlight of our tour
Was on the last one of our days.
We slept in late, then brunched on
Eggs, ham and Hollandaise.

We left the kennel one-ish,
It really seemed a lark.
We'd mush out to old Shamrock Lake,
Then return home in the dark.

Now with experience we have,
the pace was set quite high.
The trees and brush and lakes and streams,
They all went rushing by.

So as the sun was almost set,
We mushed 'round most the lake.
And built a fire and bar-b-qued,
Some moist and delicious steak.

Then as the light was fading,
We got back on our sleighs;
With trust in Heather and our dogs
That they would know their ways.

So down the trails we traveled,
The dog were ghostly black
And barely seen in silouette
against the unlit track.

And all we heard was pant of dog
And the shushing of our runner.
It's hard to think an experience
That could be any funner.

2  Thank Gordon A
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I am planning my 4th trip to White Wilderness in January 2012-so that says something! I have never done a day trip but have met people who have and they had a great time. I have been on the yurt trip and my two other trips were lodge based. We travel through the Superior National Forest and the scenery is absolutely beautiful, the guides are great-very personable, patient and hard working. You do not have to be athletic-the dogs are the athletes and with such personalities you will never forget. I travelled with two friends during the 1st trip, but have returned on my own since and feel right at home. If you love dogs and the outdoors in winter this is something you should try!

1  Thank Mary G