“Nice day out on the trails”

Chilly Dogs Sled Dog Trips
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Ely
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Had a recent trip to Chilly Dogs with my daughter. Chilly Dogs is very professional and we really enjoyed our experience; I think it's an experience all Minnesotans should have.

We participated in one of the shorter runs with about an hour or so out on the trails.

The day starts with getting everyone together and making sure everyone is all set up with equipment. They do require sunglasses or some sort of eye protection in case the dogs kick something up (maybe poo?). Once everyone is set up, they take you out to meet the dogs. The dogs are all full of energy and some are shy, but most are very friendly and you go out for maybe a half hour to meet all the dogs that will pull you for the day.

Then, you go to a room to discuss the rules of dogsledding. The rules are important but really pretty simple. For whatever it's worth, other than hitting the break, there's really not that much to do.

After learning the rules, you're off. The staff hooks up your dogs while you hold down the break. After the staff heads out, they let you know when it's your turn. Just take your foot off the break and you're sled-dogging. The country is beautiful and as much as this winter was horrendous with all the snow and cold, it really did make it beautiful out in the north woods of Minnesota. The trip is over rather quickly, but we knew that. Afterwards, the staff invites you in for hot chocolate and cookies and you can browse some items for sale and then pay your tab.

Overall, I think the experience is something that all Minnesotans should do at least once in their lives, but I'm just giving this 4 stars because the value just isn't that great. Dog sledding is really expensive, but I suppose you have to feed those dogs all year long for the handful of winter months (maybe more than a handful of winter months in MN).

A couple of other notes: The dogs are kind of disgusting. My daughter was in the sled when another dog peed on the sled right next to her and then later one of our dogs peed on another one of our dogs while we were out on the trail. They don't stop to go to the bathroom, they just keep on running and getting pulled along peeing and pooping as we go. It's a little gross, but it is what it is. I just wish I knew that before I went and pet every dog that they've got.

Also, it is colder than you'd think. Even though the day we went out was not that cold (maybe in the 20's), once you're moving, you pretty much stand there and have wind blowing on you. The dogs create their own windchill factor. Just something to keep in mind out there.

To wrap up, I think that Chilly Dogs did a great job and was professional and a great little business. But, dog sledding is really expensive and the dogs are kind of gross. However, it is a great experience and everyone should do it and the folks at Chilly Dogs would do a good job taking care of you and your family.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"proper clothing"
"nice folks"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend a trip"
"beautiful wilderness"
"sunny day"
"an adventure"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Chilly Dogs is a excellent family run business that offers nothing but the very best for their customers. From the moment you pull into their beautiful property until the time you leave you are surrounded by warm smiles and wagging tails. The owners are courteous and the dogs well taken care of. The entire sledding experience is something I will not soon forget. I have been on many trips in many different countries, but this get away has to be one of the very best! I cannot put into words how professional and courteous the owners are, and just how exciting the teams of dogs were. It was simply amazing!

3  Thank George S
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Our dog sledding trip was great. It was 17 below that morning but the dogs seemed to love it. The trail was beautiful and it was fun to watch the dogs work. It's not as intense as you might think, so I would recommend it to families for sure. The family who runs it is great and most importantly they really seem to love the dogs and what they do.

1  Thank Lori G
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My fiance and I loved our dog sledding experience. It is really great that you get to personally drive a team of well trained sled-dogs. Getting to know the dogs was fun, and the family atmosphere is great. The owners and their guides are very friendly and make it a memorable experience.

I would highly recommed the trip, We did the Snowy Owl run, where we learned the ropes and then got to drive the sled for approx 1 hr and 15 minutes. I would recommend this trip or the shorter one for beginners, I would definitely like to go back and try the longer runs. Great Winter Times!

1  Thank Andrew F