“Small but serious in a good way”

International Wolf Center
Ranked #2 of 34 things to do in Ely
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Wolf Center, located in Ely, Minnesota, gives visitors a chance to learn about wolves and see them in a beautiful northwoods habitat. The main attraction are five live wolves who make up our ambassador pack. The best time to see the wolves is first thing in the morning and then late in the afternoon. This is especially the case during hot summer months. If you can't make it early or late in the day, we recommend coming by at noon. Every day at noon we offer enrichment for the wolves, so they typically all come out and are visible through the massive auditorium windows. We also offer a unique Saturday evening program where the wolves get their weekly meals. That program is at 7 p.m. The Center advances the survival of wolf populations by teaching about wolves, their relationship to wildlands and the human role in their future.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Small but serious in a good way”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

International Wolf Center is a great little museum/educational center devoted to studying and educating the public about wolves . . . their behavior, and historic role in human culture.

Despite my previous lack of interest in wolf culture, I found this place remarkably well-executed. The building is really nice, and the main room, with a sort of diorama-in-the-round showing stuffed wolves in different situations (playing, attacking) is alone worth the price of admission. Very cool.

In the theater, I watched an hour-long movie about wolves and moose on Isle Royale, and the people who have dedicated their lives to this research. Pretty fascinating, I learned a lot and will surely be boring my friends back home with this new store of moose and wolf trivia. Better than my usual "Moose and Squirrel" trivia . . .

They have an area in back where you can view live wolves. A bunch of people were crowded around the window, apparently a wolf cub was hanging out there. In fact, as I was entering the building, a guy excitedly said to me, "Did you see the wolf cub? He was right there by the window!!" Well, no, I'm just on my way in . . . but I suppose it's something to see. I chose not to fight the crowd and went on my way.

I spent a quick hour and a half here, but anyone with kids and/or any interest in wolves could easily fill a day.

Visited June 2013

Coon Rapids, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wolf Center Mania!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Wolf Center was absolutely amazing! Bring your camera and plenty of memory cards! My wife and I and my brother spent quite a bit of tine there, the staff is amazing and will answer every question you throw at them, if you have time take some classes in wolf communication and pups 101, if you are really adventurous check out some of the later classes where they actually bring you out to wolf sites (I won't spoil the surprise!) You will have a blast!

Visited September 2012
Green Bay, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very informative center”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

There is so much you can learn at the International Wolf Center. It is such a great place to get informed on wolves and their lives. The people that work here are very informative, patient with questions and have great customer service skills.

Visited July 2012
Ocala, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Aidan and Denali all grown up!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I visited the International Wolf Center in 2008 when Aidan and Denali were just pups. I made the trip this year to see them all grown up! This is a wonderful place to spend a few hours. The people are extremely knowledgeable and willing to answer countless questions. The wolves are fascinating to watch, and they are clearly loved and well cared for. A great deal of important research is done here to protect the species. They deserve our support!

Visited May 2013
Lombard
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wolves!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great place to learn about wolves. They do programs throughout the day, you can watch the wolves through big windows, and they have a play area for kids, including a 'wolf den' for them to crawl into.

Visited August 2012

Been to International Wolf Center? Share your experiences!