“Fun place, (mostly) friendly staff!”

Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Elk River
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Front desk staff was friendly for how busy they were. Our room was nice and clean and the waterpark was a blast, my son had a wonderful time. Took a little long to get our pizza, but we were having to much fun to complain. Waterpark is awesome, but the side for the smaller kids was REALLY cold, my son's lips were blue the entire time and we had to get out frequently to warm up.
We went to the restaurant for dinner and I was a little surprised by who I assumed to be an employee, but would never of known by the way she was dressed (pants rolled up and tattoos all over her legs, arms and chest). She was very loud and appeared to be upset with one of the waitresses, then she went storming to the back. My son kept asking if she was mad, I told him she was just talking loud. Our server was very friendly and the food was awesome. Maybe we are wrong about who this person was because I could not imagine your hotel allowing tattoos and this type of dress in the restaurant.
We decided to check out your breakfast before we left the next morning, so this time I paid more attention. Everyone had name tags. Our server Cindy, was smiley and nice. Another gal, Kandis, came by and asked us how everything was.
Other than the lady who was yelling, we had a good experience and will definately be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Robyn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your visit with us, I am pleased to hear that your accommodations were comfortable and clean. I will have our maintenance team check on the kiddie pool water temp to make sure it is at a comfortable level. I am a bit surprised at the description of perhaps one of our employees, we definitely enforce a uniform dress code for our team. I will share your comments with our F&B Manager.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The people who work the front desk were great and when I complained offered to have my room redone. The room was barely cleaned when we returned, the bed was half done, they left trash there and have us one bath towel which was barely hung on the rack. I came down and showed a picture to the front desk and they immediately offered to have someone clean out rooms again but we were in the hotel for a friend's wedding and had our stuff in the room. The front desk people were awesome they just need to get their cleaning staff in line on how to clean a room.

• Stayed: August 2013
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I would like to apologize for the condition of your guest room. I will be sharing your comments with our housekeeping team to make sure these issues are addressed and corrected. I am glad to see our guest service team was able to assist you.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We specifically booked this hotel and location for the waterpark. After staying in other hotels with slides that didn't open until the late afternoon, we had a huge amount of skepticism about the quality of the waterpark. Wow! Yes, it's not one of the biggest ones, but for the amount of space they have, it will knock your socks off! Toilet bowl, big tube ride and the fastest body slide we have seen in our life. Once you go up and down 20 times in a row with no lineup, the lazy river and water basketball area were pretty cool for the kids. The place was practically deserted during our Summer visit. Hands down the highlight for our two kids of our entire two week vacation. Yes, one of the beds looked like it hadn't been changed, but when we pointed this out to the front desk, they had someone making up the bed for us fresh within 10 minutes. In addition, when our kids lost one of their tokens in the arcade, there was no hesitation in supplying multiple replacement coins. Don't understand the prior comments about the service.
Yes, you don't get free breakfast, but who cares when you get a free waterpark?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Poltrip,

WOW! Thank you very much for the Awesome comments regarding your stay with us, our team constantly works to provide the best possible experience for our guests. Being mentioned as the highlight of the vacation is a huge honor for us and we appreciate it.

I am happy to read that your family was able to enjoy the waterpark without the wait for the slides, I bet you got quite the workout climbing those steps!

Thank you again and we truly look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a first time visitor to this water park, I was highly disappointed with our hotel room. It was very dirty... The toilet was filthy on and the base on the floor. Our shower head was broken, so my very tall husband was unable to shower comfortably, and of the two times I called the front desk for towels, they were rude and I was placed on a 3 min hold. The water park was nice and my children had fun. We are a water park family, and love to experience new adventures, however we will not be returning to this facility.

Room Tip: Do not have a ground level room. The noise is awful.
1  Thank ssmith321
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

I would like to apologize for the condition of your guest room upon arrival, our team strives to offer a clean and well maintained hotel for our guests. I will definitely share your comments with our housekeeping manager so that this incident can be addressed.

I was glad to read that the family did enjoy the water park facility.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I spent one night with my three kids (ages 3-9) here at the beginning of June. My kids loved the water park, and aside from one other family and a birthday party we were the only guests in the water park that afternoon/evening so it was not busy at all. My kids loved all the water slides and the lazy river. They have a great zero entry area for the little kids as well. Lifeguards were everywhere and looked very attentive. I felt the water was a bit too cold, and it's unfortunate that kids under 12 cannot warm up in the hottub. We had a double queen suite with pull out couch and microwave and fridge and it was clean and very spacious. There is a door separating the living room from the bedroom. The beds were very comfortable and the room was quiet (exept for when housekeeping knocked at 7am despite the "do not disturb" sign on the door. We ate in the restaurant and I was pleasantly surprised by the healthy options on the kids menu (one of my daughters had the grilled chicken). My kids keep asking when we can go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Jennifer,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us, we do appreciate the comments. I would like to apologize for the early knock on the door, I will share your comment with our housekeeping team.

Thank you again, and we look forward to serving you again very soon!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were with a family event at this hotel and I found the hotel to be very inconsistent and some of the front desk personnel just down right rude. Our room smelled like cigarette smoke, so we went to Target next door for air freshener. I also complained to the front desk and they said housekeeping would spray the room. Between what we bought at Target and the efforts by the housekeeping staff, it helped, but after the room was closed up for a time period, we could still detect the smoke.

2 family member rooms across the hall each had ants in the bathrooms, which was as easily unappearling as the smokey rooms. In our bathroom toliet where the water re-fills the bowl, the outlets where the water comes in were a dingy brown and would make you think the toliet had not been cleaned in weeks.

I knew not to expect too much from this hotel as it took me 5 telephone calls to finalize the reservations for this place. i tihk that is absurd that I had to call 5 times, but the sales manager assured me "the onus is on the customer". I am still preplexed over that marketing strategy.

If you are seeking a peaceful night's rest, this place isn't for you. The hotel is not quiet. We were on the first floor and I know there were a lot of kids upstairs, but it sounded like they were dropping bowling balls on the floor. Late night and early morning commotion was the norm. We suffered through 4 nights there and I was glad to see the hotel in my rear view mirror when we left.

On a plus note, the water park for the kids and adults is fun, but rest of the hotel is clearly not Holiday Inn's finest.

2  Thank 678,855
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

I would like to offer my apologies for your experiences during your recent visit with us. The service and condition items you mentioned are upsetting. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to discuss the situation. Please feel free to contact me directly at 763.656.4400, at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have been going to this hotel on the 4th of July for the last 4 years With my granddaughters who only come to Minnesota once a year and this is our special time and they have always been accomidating to my request to have a room to see the fire works out the window and they have many rooms with this view. The front desk person was so rude and unprofessional they said they could not gaurantee anything and come back at 4:00. The room I did get was a view of a roof next door. They even scared my Granddaughters. I had called a month before and that day I talked to someone who just checked in and had the room i wanted they had not asked for it. The staff was so rude except for the water park staff they were great. We had one life gaurd that was clueless and was paying no attention even when we were asking for help. We did not have a good holiday there.

1  Thank Jean M
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Jean,

I was glad that I was able to speak to on the phone regarding your visit with us. I do apologize again for the situation. Glad to hear that we will see you again next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk River
2 mi away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk River
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rogers
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albertville
Cambria hotel & suites Minneapolis Maple Grove
Hampton Inn & Suites Rogers

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!