“Good family fun”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Elk River
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
“Good family fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We planned a Saturday night stay here for 22 people, 5 families. I would say it was a good experience but not excellent.

We arrived before check in, around 2 pm to use the waterpark and 1 of the 5 rooms was ready. We used this room to get the majority of us ready and hang out at the waterpark before the rest could check in at 4 pm. The line for check in was very long at times and some in our party waited until 4:30 to check in to avoid the rush. Our last family checked in at 4:30 and the front desk commented that not all the rooms in the hotel were even ready at that point. Seems a little odd since check in is 4 pm.

Our room was spacious (2 queens) and clean, although the carpet seemed worn in our room and in the hallways on the 4th floor. One of the beds in our room was extremely squeeking, thankfully we were only there 1 night.

The waterpark was PACKED. We overheard some lifeguards saying it was sold out. While the waterpark is nice, it could use a good cleaning and more seating/tables. Our seating area in the waterpark used to be the shower area. All the kids in our party seemed to enjoy themselves (ages from 2-12) and the large hot tub was great for adults too. Our children did have some "coughing" problems from the chlorine levels in the hot tub on Sunday as a previous reviewer states. We were ready to go home at that point, so we just packed up and left. The locker rooms really need a good cleaning as well. Nothing bad, but just a little more attention is needed. We ordered 3 pizza's for our group at 5:15 on Saturday night at the waterpark food stand and they said we got the last pizza's of the night. Food was what your would expect for a waterpark, but we did enjoy they serve pitchers of beer/pop. There were also plenty of towels for use too.

Breakfast buffet Sunday was good, kids ate free, buffet was $10 for adults. Everything was hot and tasted good. Scrambled eggs, waffles, french toast sticks, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, pastries, etc... There were some confusions with our bills, but the staff was nice about getting things sorted out. It was also nice they put our large group back in a section together.

What keeps this from an excellent rating? While the staff seemed friendly, the building itself needs some cleaning and maintance upkeep, especially in the waterpark. Some paint chipping in the waterpark area, good scrubbing of the floors and some dingy and worn carpets/floors in the hallways. Also, this is MN in the middle of winter, people want to go to a waterpark to escape it and I think a waterpark/hotel would be a little more prepared to handle being "sold out" on a Saturday.

Room Tip: If traveling with a large group, don't expect to get rooms near each other even if you request t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Amy,
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel and water park. I am happy to hear everyone had a great time and enjoyed the facilities! Our team constantly strives to make all of our guest's visits as enjoyable as possible.

I have noted your comments in reference to the cleanliness and condition of the water park and I assure you these items are being addressed. Our Spring Deep Clean is schedule to begin next week.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and I hope we see you again soon.

Greg Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
twin cities minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I did not have a chance to visit the waterpark. We had a nice corner king room on the fourth floor (an upgarde because I am a platinum Holiday Inn Priority Club member). It was nice and quiet, but the hotel was overrun with families and children. The elevator was out of service when I checked in, and we had to use the laundry elevator. All staff I passed in the hall was very pleasant and greeted me with a warm hello. Elevator was repaired the same day. Checkout was fast and efficient.

Room Tip: Corner room on the fourth floor was very quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your stay with us, we truly appreciate your loyalty and your Platinum level status. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade and that our staff was welcoming. I do apologize for the elevator situation, but the team responded quickly to get it back in service.

Thank you again!

Sioux Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staff was very friendly, greeted me by name and had my paperwork done...check in took all of 2 minutes. Spotless facility. Breakfast was very good. The server was very nice...treated me like family, and that is nice when you are on the road a lot. She provided me with a paper and coffee without being asked and seemed genuinely happy...a nice touch in just another morning on the road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TLK,

I appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to share your experience at the hotel. It is always great to hear that our team is meeting and exceeding our guest's expectations. We hope you will visit us again when you are in the area.

Montevideo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed For Easter weekend. The buffet was excellent even had a magician. The waterpark staff was excellent. The waterpark was packed. There were some bossy parents and kids around. The security guard at night was very kind. The elevator is the slowest elevator ever. The stairs are close.

• Stayed March 2013
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Rolloingteenmom - Thank you for your great feedback regarding your stay with us over the holiday weekend. It is great to hear that you enjoyed all that we have to offer! I wish we could adjust the speed on the elevators, but we are not able to do that!

Thank you again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a newer facility that has missed the mark in several areas. With a waterpark it's a great family destination. With a waterpark it's a poor business destination. You couldn't escape the water. You'll find it even outside of the waterpark in the hallways, elevators, restrooms, etc. You'll also find bits and pieces of trash and food in the hallways, elevators, restrooms, etc. The rooms lack sound proofing. Between the Sumo wrestlers above me and herd of elephants in the hallways my stay was not restful. The very small restaurant and bar were drab and nondescript as was the food (& no free continental breakfast). The meeting facilities are amongst the hotel rooms and the elephant herds will disrupt your meeting. And pack lightly because it's a longer than usual hike from the parking lot to the lobby (no automatic opening lobby doors). Strange for a newer design hotel. From a business perspective bypass this HI. For a family fun fest, have at it. I think the great hotel staff is misplaced and belongs at a better hotel.

Room Tip: Try the top floor so you don't have to put up with noise from above.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WisconsinRanger
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
WisconsinRanger,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay. I would like to apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. As a Spring Break destination during the month of March, you are correct, our hotel can be a very busy and exciting place for families. I was happy to read that our team did provide Great service for you, they truly do an exceptional job. Our staff also does an exceptional job of hosting meetings and other events, as I mentioned before, the Month of March can be a bit more active.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our staff to see where we can improve even more.

Madison, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I traveled over the Thanksgiving weekend with my parents (in their 70's) and aunt & uncle (in their 60's). We reserved three rooms and the hotel made sure the three rooms were all together (two connected). I was a bit concerned about staying at a hotel with a water park that weekend, but it wasn't an issue. The hotel was very quiet, and my cousin's children ended up coming over and using the water park which was a bonus (thanks to the front desk who had additional passes and releases available). The staff in the water park seemed to be quite attentive - at one point a parent was missing a child, the staff immediately dealt with the issue and the child was located safely.

Our rooms were extremely clean, and the folks that cleaned our rooms were very efficient. We ate in the hotel several times (one later evening meal in the bar area and a morning brunch) and both times our service was friendly. My parents tend to watch TV with the volume quite loud and from my room next door I wasn't able to hear their TV.

All in all a nice hotel. Thank you!

Room Tip: We were in a wing that faced away from the highway on the 4th floor - it was nice. Quiet and very l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with us, we truly do appreciate it. I am glad to hear that your concerns were put to rest, and that the entire family enjoyed their stay.

We look forward to serving you in the future!

Ramsey, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were visiting the waterpark for the afternoon with a group of friends. Our boys were having a great time until they decided to visit the hot tub. Upon entering the tub, all three boys felt their chests get heavy, began coughing, and felt as though they couldn't breath. The coughing was crazy and they threw up. They weren't even in there for a minute! Overwhelmed by chlorine fumes??? I called a lifeguard over to inform her of the situation. She told them to sit down, take deep breathes, and she would get them some water. She came back a while later and told us we should leave the pool area for a while and that the water was on the way. As we were waiting for the water, another guy came over to clean up the mess. He informed us that they are not recommending kids go into the hot tub right now because they have been having problems with it. (even though kids have been going in and out of the hot tub the whole time we were there) Don't you think if they are having problems that they should either close the hot tub or post a warning sign??? Instead, our swim day was cut short. In the 10 years of swimming with our boys, we have never encountered such a situation. Upon leaving the waterpark, I informed the front desk of the issue. She was aware of the problem, but didn't think it was still a problem today. She offered me two passes for another day. When I told her I had three boys, she gave me a third pass. However, the boys say they never want to go there again. We'll see...but if we do go back, I'm sure we will steer clear of the hot tub!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NL99
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of the issue you encountered during your visit to the waterpark. I apologize for the incident and I hope your boys are feeling better. I have talked to my engineer to let him know of this incident and he is checking out the equipment to ensure it is functioning properly.

Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk River
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk River
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rogers
Hampton Inn & Suites Rogers
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albertville
Cambria hotel & suites Maple Grove - Minneapolis

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!