“A very good time”

Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Elk River
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Wow we had so much fun staying at the holiday inn water park. The staff was very nice. We had breakfast which was very good. I had a child that was still sleeping and I ask if I could take some food up to her and they give me a to go box for I could get her some food and they did not charge me for it. Kids had so much fun in the water park they wanted to stay longer. We were there with 45 other people and I think we all had a great time. The only thing I could say bad about the place are that the beds are firm I per fore a softer bed. I will be taking my kids back for sure!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Delorez
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

I am thrilled to hear that you and the kids enjoyed the hotel and water park and the your child that slept in was still able to eat!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Thank you!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here so that we could have a night away and my 6 year old son could enjoy the water slides. When we got to the water park it was really busy and the lifegaurds all looked like they weren't paying much attention. I even commented to my husband that if someone was drowning, the gaurds looked as though they wouldn't even notice.
***I WAS WRONG** There is a slide that has a sharp drop and then swirls you into a "toilet bowl" and then down a tunnel and out into a pool. I went first and then waited at the bottom. Then my son went. Turns out that on the sharp drop, his tube flipped and he was thrown off it and hit his head. While waiting at the bottom for him I saw his tube come out of the tunnel upside down. And then my son following it on his back and backwards. He splashed into the pool and went under. Before I could even move a lifegaurd guy jumped out of no where and in one second grabbed my child out of the water and had him at the side of the pool. I really don't know how this guy moved against the current that fast.
Turns out my kid was okay, just a little headache. Nothing super dramatic here. But...I was really grateful that the lifegaurd was so quick to notice and react before I could. And made sure my child was okay before getting back to work. Thank you again whatever your name was!!!
p.s We had a family suite and the room was awesome. Big, clean, and comfortable beds. And a great dinner and breakfast both in the restaurant.
***all the staff in all parts of the hotel were super nice**
We would totally come back again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephanie011

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we love to hear how our guests enjoyed their stay with us. I hope your son is feeling better after his spill. Our lifeguards are all thoroughly trained for their positions and are always keenly focused on the task at hand. It can be a little chaotic at times but their focus remains on the safety of our guests.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Thanks again,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was very nice! The beds were comfy and plenty of them! In our room there were 2 full sized beds and a couch bed. Another plus is that there was two TVs and a game cube! No problem getting our own food because it had a fridge and a microwave! The only downside is that it is a long trek to the top of the slide and there was WAY TOO MUCH CHLORINE in the hottub. My friends and I came out coughing uncontrollably with burning eyes especially in the areas with colored water. Overall, nice hotel though.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am happy to hear that the accommodations fit your needs.

It would be awesome to have an elevator to deliver you to the top of the slides!!! It can be some great exercise with multiple trips down the slides..

I will have my engineering staff check the chemical system to ensure it is working properly.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter had a basketball tournament so this hotel gave our team a good rate. The hotel has a water park that was very big I was pleasantly surprised. The girls stayed entertained and were in the park for hours. There is a great restaurant in the hotel and good resturants in the area. The hotel was packed and a long line for check out but the staff handled it well and were pleasant. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013

Glad to hear that the kids all had a good time, and yes it will get a bit busier when we have large groups in for tournaments, etc. I am pleased to hear that you felt the staff was still able to deliver a high level of guest service.

Look forward to seein gyou again soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is an attractive hotel with clean rooms, friendly employees, and a nice restaurant. My bed was comfy, my room was supplied with a fridge and microwave, and it was quite spacious. The ONLY thing regarding my stay that I wasn't thrilled about was the exercise room. It had Clorox wipes for wiping down the treadmill, but I really think hotels should have something stronger that guests can use to sanitize the equiptment, especially with such a bad flu season. Otherwise, it was a wonderful stay. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay with us. I will share your comments with the entire team! They love to hear that their service efforts are being noticed.

I will make sure we get a new disinfectant in the exercise room.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our kids (5 & 7)needed a quick get away and since it was only 10 mins away, thought we would give it try for a night. Stayed in the executive suite room style, basically its two queen beds in its own room, and in the main room has its own tv, couch, table and chairs. Room was very clean and everything worked. Bathroom had plenty of towels, hand towels for the four of us. We ate dinner in the hotel. Food was good and menu had enough variety to choose from. Kids ate free, which is always a bonus. As far as a hotel goes, great stay.

In reviewing the water park, I would say underwhelmed a bit would be our thoughts. My kids(5 & 7), love the rides at Bunker Beach, Great Wolf Lodge and the Edge in Duluth, so I thought this would offer enough for them to play. The kids play area is geared more towards toddlers. Both kids were scared to try the tube slides, so I can not comment on them. That left the lazy river and the 'pool' area. Not sure what the water temp read, but I found it extremely cool and even out kids, who do not mind playing in MN local lakes, said it was cool. It might have been refreshing on a hot day outside, but not inside during the winter months.
I also noticed that the life guards seemed to stay in one spot. Maybe its just our stays at Great Wolf where the life guards are constantly checking and walking around the lazy river and other water attractions.
There was a concession type stand in the water park, for beverages, food etc. decently priced. Plenty of warm towels were available, but you might want to bring your own, if you want something larger and thicker to dry off.
All in all, this park seemed to be to great for littler kids or perhaps older kids that could partake in the tube / body rides.
I would rate the hotel side a Very Good, and the water park an Average(but again only based on how my kids felt, and isnt that the reason we go?) :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SeanDietz
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Sean,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about the hotel and water park. I do apologize that your kids were not able to full utilize all the water park has to offer. I will check with our engineering deaprtment to be sure the water temperature is set correctly to ensure a positive experience.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel was exceptionally clean. I was travelling on business, and did not realize this was a "Water Park Hotel", so I can't speak to that side of it.

As stated in the title, the suite had ample space, included central air, a sizable mini-fridge, and good closet space.

There were only two reasons that kept this from being a 5-star stay. For starters, the front desk staff was rather lackadaisical/apathetic when it came to customer service... the clerk literally rolled his eyes when I asked if he had my Priority Club number attached to my reservation and groaned a "Um, yes.." response. I didn't appreciate that.

The second reason for a sub-perfect stay was the breakfast. I'm okay with paying for breakfast at a hotel (even though it's a rarity), but having to wait at an unattended host stand to be seated, and then spend 30 minutes of my morning to wait for and eat an omelette is just inconvenient.

Again, solid hotel, but (obviously and by design) more suited for family vacations than business travel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Nate,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the clean and spacious suite.

I would like to apologize for the less than stellar service you received from our desk staff and restaurant team. Regardless of business or leisure travel, we expect that all our guests receive prompt and courteous service. I will share your comments with the appropriate managers so we can address the situations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk River
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rogers
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#1 of 1 in Ramsey

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!