“Some highs and lows”

Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Elk River
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Stayed here with the family for a conference. Conference rooms on the second floor across from hotel rooms with half naked kids in swimming suits roaming between people dressed in suits. Odd positioning of these conference rooms and heard noise from hotel rooms above the conference rooms. Saturday night drunks yelling for 2 hours in the hallway was definitely a low point as well. However, good location, fridge in room, spacious rooms, and great waterpark were the high points. Hotel staff was polite and pretty responsive.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gonerunning
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for your feedback, it can be challenging at times when we are hosting events in the meeting rooms and we have a full house of waterpark guests. We continue to explore options for such times.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River

Reviewed April 9, 2011

I planned this trip for my Girl Scout Brownie Troop & their families and made reservations ahead of time with the hotel's group rate contact person. Via e-mail she quoted me a great rate of $89 for a 6 person room that included 6 waterpark passes. I booked 5 rooms for our large group. Upon arrival, check-in was the usual. As my family got to our room I noticed that it only had two double beds & was not the suite that was promised. I went back down to the front desk to see if my room was the only one like this & explained that I had booked 5-6 person suites. The girl behind the desk was very rude & stated I only booked five double queens so that is what I got, period, end of story. I wish I would have looked at her name tag & made note of it - whichever girl was working the afternoon of 4/9/11. There was another slightly older woman at the front desk that took over & tried to help me rectify the situation (meanwhile, I have several families wondering why their rooms are so small & why there are not enough waterpark passes for everyone). The other "friendly" employee checked to see if any other rooms were available - which there were not, tried to find roll away cots for the rooms - which they were out of...finally she was able to switch two of the rooms due to cancellations so that some of the group had places to sleep other than the floor. No apologies for the inconvenience - I felt like they thought I was lying about the whole thing even though I have an e-mail stating the quoted rate. I'm scared to think about what else will be screwed up on my bill because of all the confusion. What ever happened to "The customer is always right"? I was hoping this would be a fun, worry-free reward for the girls after all of their hard work selling cookies but it turned out to be more stress than anything....at least for me! I would have appreciated a little kindness & understanding, perhaps some free breakfast or a discounted or free future stay - even an apology, SOMETHING. Instead the attitude was "oh well, deal with it." We live close to Brainerd where there are 2 other waterparks but decided to drive farther & try this one. Next time we'll stick closer to home.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank troopmama

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for all of the confusion. I am confident that you were satisfied with our service recovery efforts after we spoke on the phone. Thank you again!

Reviewed March 25, 2011

I took my kids here for a "staycation" over spring break. It was not crowded, and the waterpark was well staffed with friendly lifeguards. Our kids, ages 12,10, 6 and 4 all had something fun to do and enough to keep them happy for 2 days. Our room was great. With four kids, it was nice to have the option of a room that had bunk beds so there was less fighting! The kids eat free feature in the restaurant was a huge savings and the waitstaff was great. Of special note, one of my kids lost/left her Nintendo DS(which she had bought with her own money so she was distraught) somewhere in the room. After leaving messages with the staff, the next day I received a call that they had found it and it would be returned to me. So wonderful to see a hotel staff with integrity and honesty. I would highly recommend this hotel for a family getaway whether you are local or travelling.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kids4travelmama

I am extremely happy that you were highly satisfied with your experience, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Quoted price not what was charged. Extremely crowded, no parking space, no chairs or tables by pool. Front desk unable to give directions, provide map or recommend dining options. Coincidence pizza page removed from phone book? Save your money, stay in one of many other hotels in area that are more reasonable, friendly and offer complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2011
DougKarle, Owner at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

Please give me a call at 763.656.4400. I want to discuss this as well make sure we correct any billing errors. Thanks, Doug

Reviewed February 4, 2011

The website for this hotel said that the water park was open 7 days a week. We called to make a reservation for a Thursday night and the live person sold us a "Family Fun Package" that included 4 passes to the water park. She even confirmed for me that the water park was open and what time it closed on Thursday nights. When we arrived we were told that the water park was never open during the week.
I had three kids in the car with swim suits and pillows ready for fun and here we were in Elk River MN. I had to go back to the hotel to ask them to offer me some sort of consolation prize. They gave us five passes to the water park, but I am still not sure when it is open.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Guy43323

Please call me at 763.656.4400. I would like to gather more information about the your experiance. Thanks, Doug

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We expected so much more when we went to this waterpark. When we got there, they had about 200 people in the waterpark and they had a total of 12 single tubes. People had to stand by the water and wait for someone else to finish with theirs. At one point, I held my sons (after waiting for 30 minutes to get one) while he went to the bathroom. A lifeguard came over to me and requested that I give it to someone else! My son has autism, and I was not about to give up a tube that I had waited so long to get. This was an awful experience. I would not waste my money. Beware!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank canyonsmom

I am sorry to read about your experience. Based on your comments we are increasing the ratio of single tubes to double tubes in the waterpark. This should not have happened and our lifeguard should not have asked you to give up your sons tube. I apologize this happened. Thanks for your comments and give me a call prior to your next visit. Thanks, Doug

Reviewed January 22, 2011

What an awesome weekend trip! My husband (who is not a BIG fan of water parks) and our two kids, ages 13 & 14 took a 45 min. trip to Elk River for an overnight. We had checked out other water park hotels nearby and after some phone calls, this one seemed to be the one that would satisfy all of us.

The room was huge! We had just your standard double queen room. The fridge was a bit smaller than we are used to seeing at hotels, but did the job just fine. I had some things for the freezer, which wasn't big enough, but no worries, just put the food in the trunk (at -15 it wasn't going to thaw!). :) Very comfy beds, big area for my son to spread out his NASCARs and everything in great working order. Did I mention is was HUGE?

Waterpark - it IS on the smaller side, but what it lacks in room, it makes up in fun! yes, the floor is slippery, but you're in a waterpark....that's to be expected. Never saw anyone fall. Hot tub was great, basketball area was awesome, vortex pool was a nice surprise and there's even an area, about 4 ft. deep, where you can just swim around or whatever. Since our kids are big, we didn't utilize the little kid area, but it looked like a lot of fun for the toddlers. The slides were great! My son only likes tube rides so he liked that a lot, and always with the double tube. Hubby, daughter and I totally loved the "toilet bowl" type ride. It's supposed to be a single rider only ride, but they were running out of single tubes, so let people go down double, which I thought was really nice. The lifeguard said that they had more on order and were waiting for them. The body slide is fast and delivers some serious G-forces for the adults! We were at the park 3 seperate times during our stay and not once did we have troubles getting towels. There was always someone there folding them or something. Plenty of lifeguards around I thought. Every 2 hours they take a 10 min. break, which I think is a good idea. Keeps them from getting to tired, or on auto-pilot. Lazy river was fun with little waterfalls and spouts of water to keep things interesting. :)

We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but ordered a pizza. Was just as cheap as going to Godfathers and really, really good and filling!

The hotel is near a freeway, but I couldn't hear the noise. This could be because it was snowing and that acts as an insulator of sorts, but I think it would be fine anyway. We did hear kids running in the halls, but there happened to be a lot of birthday parties going on. We were on the 3rd floor in a corner, so I think our noise was pretty minimal.

Check in was very smooth and easy. Check out was a breeze cuz we just left our reciept and keys in the room. That was nice!

I could spend another full day here and so could the kids. My hubby even enjoyed this one and like I said, he's not real big on waterparks.

Overall, a fantastic place to stay! Will definitely come back and next time will probably invite family to join us. You will have a blast and won't regret it!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rogers
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#1 of 1 in Ramsey

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!