“Nothing for young adults (teens)”

Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Edina
Kansas City, Missouri
“Nothing for young adults (teens)”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Yes... the web sight shows the pool is ran by the city.
What is does not tell you is, it closes as early as 6 on Sunday. And does not open until 9 daily. Keep in mind it also has black out time for some kind of swim club only. Oh by the way they do not mention the "fitness center" is also as restricted. Did I say AS restricted? No...MORE restricted the two 13 and a 14 year old were not allowed. You have to be 16 or 18 I cant recall.
So the girls go back to the room unsupervised. Oh... Iphones are dead because they have no place to charge (most hotels have them at the desk or on the nightstand). They made phone calls (most of which got no answer) at $5.77 a dial. I got a 40 some dollar bill. For less than 2 minutes of talk.
Im sorry but 13 year olds now days dont know what long distance is as the phone does say long distance is extra (if you bother to rad all that). Today the term for out of area known to them is "roaming". The phone never said this call will be $6 to dial or they would not have. The manager offered to split the cost and said I need to teach my kids a lesson.
At that point the friendly thoughtful clerk standing next to this "manager" figured out we were the ones who arrived at four pm but still had to wait another 30 minutes for our room to be cleaned. Guess what I was offered to compensate for that after a 7 hour drive??? A bottle of wine while we waited. Im sure the girls would have enjoyed sitting there exhausted while I chug down a bottle of wine by myself. YES that really happened. Ultimately at check out I got some Marriott points but arrival day really stunk.
20 bucks wont make or break me but nor would it have the Marriott. If fact they should have paid me for figuring out how to work the unused bbq area that they brag on with pictures. I asked for help to light it and not even the maintenance man knew how. Finally I found the valves on the wall and showed him where they were! Still none of us knew how to light that beautiful fire pit you see in the pictures.
Room was comfy, desk staff was awesome night and day. The breakfast was pretty good and restaurant staff nice.
The two "managers "
(one offering a woman traveling for tournament without hubby but three teens WINE) .
(the other telling me she'd only take off half ,to "teach my daughter a lesson") Were way out of line.
Nothing but a fudruckers and upscale italian remotely in walking distance.
The general manager listened but appeared to not want to override her staffs decision.
If you like to work out early or late evening (even by yourself) you cant do it.
No DVD player. NOTHING for teens to do unless the pool happens to be open and not in use by swim team. Oh but at least they learned what long distance means. Thanks Residence inn!

Room Tip: Bring a brick (wall plug in) to charge your phone. The residence in in Bloominton is not far. If...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 981Debbie
Lisa M, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Debbie,
You are correct regarding the pool and hours. As you stated it is run and operated by the city of Edina. This particular Residence Inn was a Hawthorne Suite and Shaner corporation purchased it under the Marriott brand. Most of our Marriott hotels do have their own pool and fitness center. Our unique situation does not provide the 100 % control of the pool and fitness center. Our goal is to provide an amenity for our guest. Edina Residence Inn has partnered with the city of Edina so that we can offer our guest some physical activity. The fitness center is open Monday thru Friday from 5:30 AM until 9 PM so that our travelers are able to work out before and after work. Weekends and holidays the hours are 9 AM until 9PM , and 9 AM until 6 on Sunday.
Our website, www.marriott.com/mspda, does provide an overview for Edinborough park’s amenities. Because there is no lifeguard a parent or adult must supervise anyone under the age of 16.
Regarding no plugs for cell phone charging. We have a minimum of four outlet on the desk and next to your bed for charging phones, tablets and computers. My understanding was your family forgot their charger. If I may offer a suggestion for future hotel stays, one of the number one items left behind is chargers, please check with the front desk and ask if there is a charger that you could use. Most hotels are more than happy to loan out or give a charger to a guest . My apology if you made this request and we were unable to accommodate you.
I would also like to apologize for the manager giving you the impression that you have your 13 year old be responsible for 50% of the phone charges, to teach her a lesson. The manager’s goal was to try and meet your need by crediting you for a mistake made by your daughter.
We are very sorry we did not meet your need. Our goal is to meet or exceed our guest expectations. We will take your comments as an opportunity and a training tool.
The front desk staff will also tell guest that there is a charge for all calls,( except 800) and that an amenity reference guide is in all rooms along with local phone charges.
I hope you accept the recovery items that were provided and that your future stay will be seamless.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like further discussion.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Minnesota
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I stay in the metro 2-3 days a weeks purchasing our room on priceline. So it's always a surprise. We were lucky enough to stay here for a few nights. The manager checked us in she was fabulous, took the time to explain the details of the hotel. Rooms are 2 room suites. with a full fridge, dishwasher, microwave and cupboards with dishes. Nice dining table. Comfy beds and great linens. They have complementary breakfast and dinner with wine... what more can you want!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunsun1
lanfinson, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback! We appreciate your kind response and are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It is nice to have our guests describe in detail what they liked about our hotel so we can continue to provide great service. It was our pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again.
Lynn Anfinson
Director of Sales
Reviewed May 26, 2014

The hotel room was great and breakfast was good, but that was about it. All of the major amenities are owned/operated by the Edina Park District so their accessibility is often limited. We live in Minneapolis and one of the main reasons we wanted to get a hotel room for the night was to give our kids a chance to have a swimming pool. I called ahead to verify that the pool was kid friendly and I was told "yes". What they failed to mention and what we discovered upon arriving was that the pool was actually a lap pool with no shallow end and no steps so it was, in fact, not kid friendly. And, since it is operated by the city of Edina, we also discovered that the pool was not available for "open swim" due to a practice being held. So, even though we got there at 4 p.m., the pool was only available for a total of TWO HOURS during our entire stay (including the following morning). Even if we did not have kids and I just wanted to go swimming with my wife, we still would have only had a very limited time in which to swim. It would have been nice to know up front (especially since I called to ask specifically about the pool) that it was only available for a limited time and that it was NOT kid friendly. The weight room is also operated by the city and when my wife went down at 8:40 p.m. to exercise (after the kids were in bed) she discovered that it closes at 9 p.m. and the attendants were working on cleaning the pool so nobody was there to let her into the gym. And, the weight room did not open until 9 a.m. the following morning and since we needed to leave by 9:30 we would not be able to use the gym at all during our stay. So, the only amenity we were able to use was the indoor park for which you must pay an additional fee. Though, the kids did love the park (note: all kids MUST wear socks to play). If all you're looking for is a nice room, then this is a great place to stay. But, if you want a pool and gym and other things you would normally expect at a hotel, DO NOT stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank shoppingmolls .
lanfinson, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for your review. My name is Lynn Anfinson and I am the Director of Sales for Residence Inn Edina.
I am very sorry that you did not have a great stay at Residence Inn Edina.
You are correct that the city of Edina owns and operates Edinborough Park. Our website does provide that information.
We regret that the pool and physical fitness center are not set up to meet the needs of 100% of our guests. Our property is a little different from most Marriott Residence Inn's because of our unique situation. The hotel was a Hawthorn Suites. Our company decided to partner with Edinborough Park so that we could provide an olypic style pool and fitness facility to our guests. I agree with you, and wish we did have more say in their hours. Unfortunately it is a city owned and operated park designed to work within a large community.
I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your family.
We do appreciate you and your loyalty to Marriott.
If you and your family are in the area again, I would like to offer you a upgrade.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Best regards,
Lynn
Iowa
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Our family of three stayed one night at this property, but really weren't here for long. We checked in after 9 pm. at which time they were out of king rooms, so we were put in a double queen room which was fine. We were in room 301, which is off by itself with 302 at the end of the hall. The room was quite spacious, with the bedroom separate (around the corner) from the living/dining area. The room was updated with new countertops, appliances etc. The sink area is separate from the toilet and shower room. The beds were comfy. The one drawback to our particular room was that there was a door to the outside of the property in the bedroom area (locked) but as it rained all night, the sound of the rain hitting that door was very disruptive. I would probably choose another room and avoid that problem.

Breakfast was very good (waffles, eggs, potatoes, pancakes, sausage, cereals, breads and yogurt) and manned by lovely, friendly ladies. The desk staff was always friendly and helpful. We took advantage of using the shuttle to get to the mall, and the gentleman was also very friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon C
lanfinson, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for your review of ourhotel. We are very pleased that you and your family had such a wonderful stay although it sound like it was short with your later arrival time we hope you will come here again when you can stay longer. Our associates take pride in providing a quality breakfast and we will be sure to pass on your feedback and good comments to them. We apologize for the incovenience you experienced with the rain and noice from outside. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and please give me a call before you arrive so I can make sure you have an enjoyable stay.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Pros: Updated, Clean, Family Friendly

Cons: Pool not very inviting

We decided to stay at this property due to amenities that catered to our kids. It's connected to the Edina Park District so you access to the large indoor playground and facilities for an additional discounted fee. You can tell that the property has been around for a long time based on the outside, but inside the property recently went through a major overhaul. All the rooms were freshly updated which was definitely a plus. The breakfast was pretty good and included so definitely a plus for the price we paid for our stay. I would have given this place 5 stars if it wasn't for the pool area. Understanding that the pool belongs to the park district and not Marriott, it wasn't very friendly for small children. It was an olympic sized pool and did not allow floating devices for our kids to use.

It's also pretty close to the Mall of America, which is about 10 min away. One of only local places to eat nearby was Ciao Bella, located across the parking lot. Probably the best Italian food we've had in a long time. So if you find yourself staying there, definitely check it out and try their calamari.

All in all, we'd definitely stay here again. We enjoyed our experience and would definitely recommend this property to our friends. Cheers!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Flipadee005
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Marriott Residence Inn Edina. We were pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and newly updated hotel and suites. We also appreciate your feedback about the attached Indoor Edinborough Park pool and found your comments helpful. We continue to look for ways to make that amenity more family friendly for our guests so thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience and share your comments. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Lynn Anfinson
Director of Sales
Fargo,ND
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Meets expectations: All the standard stuff you expect from Marriott properties - nice quiet, clean room, full size fridge, breakfast and evening reception (nice chicken breasts one night), friendly staff.

Exceeds Expectations: Loved the complimentary access to the adjoining Edinbourough park facility. They have morning lap swim hours so can change in your room then a short walk (totally inside) to the 25 yard pool and the track around the outside of the pool area on the upper level. They also have 2 treadmills, two exercise bikes and an elliptical machine, and weight machine (cable based) sprinkled around the track. Much better work out then most hotels provide.
Also was in a STUDIO suite which usually just means a slightly larger room. This one had pocket doors to totally shut off the bedroom from the rest of the room.
Perhaps a small thing but the TV remote controls have an INPUT button and the TVs (one in bedroom and one in living room) have an exposed HDMI port. I travel with my laptop and some DVD's and like to play them on the TV's - some hotels restrict this in order to make you purchase their on demand movies.

Does not meet expectations: Elevator was totally out of order when I arrived - one of the two was back in service at the end of my stay so made for slow going sometimes. Also, I thought my room was a bit on the small side for a 'suite' - ok - but certainly not spacious - good layout though to make use of the available limited space.

Room Tip: Normal 'hotel style' 7 floor property. No direct outside access to rooms nor any balconeys.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Nice, new room- very clean. I was in 217.
The service was incredible. Lisa Mullerleile, General Manager for the hotel went above and beyond expectations. I was there with a group of 5 for a presentation near by. We had very little time. She checked me in, found a meeting room for us, and located a fabulous restaurant! The next day, we were rushed to make a flight and she boxed and shipped all of our supplies for us. She even forwarded me the tracking number. I can't thank her enough for her help. I will be back! If you are in Edina, MN this is a great place to stay at a reasonable rate.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JRH68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edina
The Westin Edina Galleria
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bloomington West
Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington
Staybridge Suites Minneapolis Bloomington
Hampton Inn Minneapolis Bloomington West
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis / Bloomington

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina? Share your experiences!