“Awesome 2 years in a row”

Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Edina
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I have never felt compelled to write a review on anything, until staying in the Residence Inn for the 2nd time in 1 year. I'm not sure how much we paid as my brother-in-law has covered our expenses last year & this year, but whatever it was, it was worth EVERY PENNY.

I gave it 5 stars for numerous reasons, which I will list, but the only negative, if I have to list one, is that the air conditioning unit is ridiculously loud - effective, but bothersome if you need to run it while others are sleeping.

NOW, on to the positives!

* COMFORT: seriously, both my husband & I agreed that the linens & comfort of the mattress exceeded our own bed at home - & we love our bed! The hotel is quiet pretty much everywhere we went - wonderful. We had a split room with a master king bed & a "living space" with a kitchenette in the other room. My 2-yr old son slept on the pull-out sofa sleeper - again, I've NEVER laid on a pull-out bed & thought "comfy"! But, again, they exceeded my expectations.

* ENTERTAINMENT: not only is it close to the Mall of America, but it has a wonderful play area with a pool for children, toddlers included! For $5.50 you can get an all-day access pass & run those little legs tired!

* FOOD: "continental breakfast" this is NOT; try FULL breakfast & FULL dinner included in your hotel room price. Yes, there are wonderful restaurants nearby, which is also a plus, but when you've got cranky kids, cranky hubbs, you're exhausted from traveling & it's 6PM - are you really going to get into a car, stand in line, & wait for food....when you can have a wonderfully delicious meal right in the hotel lobby?? Last night we had a delicious chicken dinner with fresh green beans, the yummiest rice pilaf ever, plenty of munchy-type food for the kiddos. For breakfast we had our choice of 2 types of scrambled eggs, french toast, sausage patties, potatoes, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, 2 types of yogurt, a full array of waffle choices, cold cereal hot cereal, etc. The coffee is gourmet, there's hot chocolate, apple cider, 3 types of juices, etc. Need I say more?? And it's all served on real dinner plates with real cutlery - not a paper plate to be seen in the joint.

I have only stayed at this hotel 2 times, each for just an overnight stay. But I am SOLD on the Residence Inn in Edina. They will always be our first choice when traveling near Minneapolis.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina

Reviewed April 30, 2008

I booked this hotel for a trip to the Mall of America with my mom. We didn't get to the hotel until early evening, so we didn't get to take advantage of the livingroom that's separate from the bedroom, or the mini-kitchen complete with a small fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and dishes. We used the fridge for leftover from our dinner, which was ery convenient. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The bedroom tv is small, maybe 19", but is tolerable. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. Breakfast was more than I expected, as it was a mini-buffett. Fruit, cereal, oatmeal, waffle maker, eggs, hashbrowns, french toast....it was all very good. This breakfast really filling and great shopping energy! There's also a computer with free internent access, and a free printer also. I'd recommend this hotel, especially since it has a shuttle that runs to the Mall whenever there's someone requesting it (you don't have to wait until each hour) and it's a 5 minute drive from the mal if you're taking your own car.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2008

We decided to take a last minute trip to the Cities and I found this hotel online and thought is must be too good to be true. We drove the 3 1/2 hours thinking if it didn't work out, we could try another. But, the hotel was so great, we spent 2 nights and I have the page flagged as a favorite now!

My husband and I loved the small kitchen where we could make our own meals for ourself and our daughter. The room was a little bit dated but very clean and layed out well. There was a small kitchen, living area and a bedroom that was closed off by sliding doors.

The bedroom set up was great with a toddler because we could put her to sleep in the bed and sit in the living area. In a regular hotel room set up it is difficult to get her to sleep before us since we are all in the same room.

The continental breakfast was amazing with so many choices.

But the HUGE highlight for us was Edinborough Park. This is a HUGE indoor playland where the kids can run around and play. There is also a gym area with a giant dalmation that the kids can jump around in.

The Park is inexpensive because it is $4.50 for all day which means we would do that in the morning, go out and see other sights and then return back for that in the evening. The Park encourages parents to climb around with the kids, which I love for the safety factor.

The Park can get really busy on the weekends, but it is great for families. We didn't do the pool since she was having so much fun with the playland.

A nice touch is that everyone is really respectful of the equipment and they have hand sanitizing gel.

The interesting thing is I met several people who actually live in the hotel, so it has the feel of an apartment complex.

The hotel actually will do grocery shopping for you and only charge you the groceries-there is no other fee!!

The only downside is it needs a little renovation, but that is only cosmetic. We will be back this summer!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I, with my 3 children (ages 10,7 and 4) and my sister with her 2 children (ages 5 and 3) traveled to the Mall of America for a little spring break get away. Needless to say, our hotel needed to accomodate all of us without breaking the bank. I stumbled across the Residence Inn by accident and we were all happy with my choice. I booked a 2-bedroom suite, which fit us to a tee! The bedrooms each had a king size bed and it's own bathroom, which helped with the 5 children. the living room had a sofa bed and there was still plenty of room for our Aerobed ( we brought our own). The breakfast every morning was wonderful. The dinners the two nights we were there (I guess they only have the dinners Mon - Thurs), were OK. The second night they ran out of hotdogs, I mean, how do you "run" out of hotdogs? Anyway, since I didn't know about the dinners until we got there, it was a nice bonus. There was a slight mix up in our room number/key and Maureen, the head of housekeeping, was a wonderful help. After that, we ran into her every morning and she always had a smile and asked us how we were surviving! The people at the front desk were also friendly and very accomodating!
The other wonderful thing about this hotel, if you have kids, is that it's connected to the Edinborough Park. For $5.50/child, they can play in the great indoor play structure. All of our kids enjoyed it and it's contained, so my sister and I could just sit and relax and watch them play without worrying if the younger ones would wonder off. Definiately worth the money! After our 7 hour drive, the kids could play and stretch!
I can't comment on the pool since we never made it there. It looked more like a lap pool, so with our younger ones, it didn't look like something I would tackle on my own.
Also, the rooms were very clean, the temperature was easy to control, the fridge and kitchen area were also very clean.
The hotel is very near Interstate 494, so it was very easy to get to the Mall of America...maybe about 4 mile away from the Mall.
I would definately recommed this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2007

What a delightful hotel! I stayed two nights while conducting business in the area. I called the hotel from the airport and the shuttle was there quickly to take me to the hotel – with a somewhat chatty, but very nice driver named Steve. I was checked in to room 612 (a handicapped-equipped room, as evidenced by the wheelchair symbol on the door). When I requested to be moved, I was told they were full for the night but that the other rooms were not much different. It was still a step-in tub, rather than a roll-in shower….but there were extra railings in the shower and near the commode. The binder of hotel amenities showed a very different floor plan from what I had, and mentioned that all suites had 2 televisions. I had one. Regardless, it was fine for two nights. The room had a fully functional kitchen – frig, stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, and a nice assortment of pans, knives, plates, etc. There was a placard on the frig welcoming me to the hotel, and it went on to say that since the odds were good that I wouldn’t have had time to shop before arriving, that if I left a grocery list with the front desk before 9am, they would do my grocery shopping, and charge the items directly to my room….at no charge! I can’t believe they’ll do your shopping for free. I didn’t need to test that. In addition to the usual complimentary coffee, there was a bag of microwave popcorn, which was a real treat.

When I checked in, and asked about somewhere to get food, the clerk told me that they had a complimentary dinner from 5:30-7pm each Mon-Thursday night in the lobby, and that Wednesday was ‘grill night’. I went down around 6. They had hamburgers, two kinds of bratwurst, cole slaw, potato salad, particularly crunchy steak-cut french fries, and all the usual accoutrements – lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, etc. The brats were wonderful. They had chilled wine and beer in a cooler behind the counter, manned by a hotel staff member. One of the other hotel guests told me that I could ask for a drink card from the front desk that would entitle me to up to three drinks (beer or wine) per evening, M-Thursday. This was a theme, actually, throughout my stay- the staff were just as friendly as could be, but they only answered direct questions and never offered additional helpful information. Why didn’t the guy give me a drink card when I checked in? Why didn’t he tell me about the passes to the adjoining park until I asked how to get one? Stuff like that.

There is a small room around the corner from the front desk with a variety of frozen dinners, snacks, deodorant, etc. and the best candy ever invented….Pearson Nut Goodies! I bought a few things and had them charged to the room.

They have a complimentary breakfast buffet each morning, with scrambled eggs, sausage patties, French toast or pancakes, and excellent fried potatoes each morning. Bowls of fresh fruit, granola, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, were also available on various days, as were English muffins, bread, rolls, pastries, and three kinds of juice including some extremely cold and delicious orange juice.

There was wireless internet in the room, but I never could figure out their instructions. I just used my own wireless card and logged on to the Verizon network.

The shuttle drivers were most amenable to taking people where they needed to go, within a limited distance.

One very useful thing about this hotel that won’t matter for most people is that there is a Hertz car rental office on the property. After my business was concluded, I rented a car for two days to drive down to Mankato. It was incredibly convenient to do that right from the hotel property.

There is a complimentary computer in the lobby also, which can be used to print out boarding passes, check email, etc. It was in constant use every time I was in or near the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Catwoman62
Reviewed December 19, 2006

We really enjoyed our stay at this Residence Inn in Edina. It was just a local overnight stay, but we had a great time and found the hotel to be very nice. The king suite we were in was very clean and in good order. We were able to use the pool in the park which is right through the lobby door! A great place to stay in MN especially in the winter! The indoor park is very nice and the kids had fun in the large pool. We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2006

Traveling with 2 toddlers is always an adventure, but the Residence Inn made it a fun one. The room was very comfortable and clean. Having a mini-kitchen was great for all the food we like to bring. The breakfast buffet was fabulous. Both toddlers were able to get what they wanted and eat their breakfast happily. The adjoined park is amazing. The toddlers played themselves out with all of the fun things to do. The people at the front desk were so warm and friendly. They gave us clear directions to our destinations. The hotel was very convenient and close to most of what we wanted to see/do. We will be staying here from now on when we travel to the cities!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edina
The Westin Edina Galleria
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bloomington West
Hampton Inn Minneapolis Bloomington West
Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington
Staybridge Suites Minneapolis Bloomington
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis / Bloomington

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Minneapolis Edina? Share your experiences!