“Food=Very Good Price=Terrible”
Review of Cocina del Barrio

Cocina del Barrio
Reserve with OpenTable
Cocina del Barrio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 106 Restaurants in Edina
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 50th & France
Description: This restaurant recently opened at the shops at 50th and France. It is a sister restaurant of Barrio Tequila Bars in downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. It is very trendy and quite good!
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The 'rita was great. The food was flavorful, fresh and very authentic in flavor with a non traditional flair on presentation. I was seriously disappointed with the price. 2 sopes for 10 bucks. Fresh quac was fabulous but then when we ran out of chips we were charged another dollar for more chips. WTH is that, we were not even given enough to finish off the quac?! It's a good thing the food was so good and flavorful because if we paid that much and had sub par food I would have been seriously disappointed. Our server was great.

I would like to say we will be back however with the prices/portion I'm not sure it is an economical option.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and I stopped by Barrio mid-afternoon on a Saturday and took a high-top table in the front bar area. There were many great tables available due to it being between the lunch and dinner timeframes. We had attentive service right from the beginning and started with their Trinity margaritas and chips with a salsa trio of roasted tomato-chile, salsa verde, and a habanero salsa. The margaritas were great (although a bit small) as were the salsas – my favorite being the habanero. We then ordered four items from the lunch menu to share: the chicken enchilada, mahi mahi taco, pork carnitas taco, and grilled steak taco. All were excellent. The flavors were strong without being overpowering, and everything was fresh and not at all greasy. This is not a place to go if you're looking for inexpensive Mexican food as the prices are on the high end. But if you want an interesting experience with great tasting food give it a try. We definitely enjoyed Barrio and look forward to coming back often.

1  Thank MNLatitudes
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Went to Barrio last night with some friends and it was a cool place, but... I loved the food, excellent food, very authentic Mexican. But $5 a taco is insane... I lived in Cancun for 7 years and even in the most expensive tourist areas they don't charge that much... And when my wife asked for a margarita the waiter did not ask what kind she wanted (barrio serves multiple kinds at many prices) the waiter brought her the brought her the most expensive one from the menu... The worst travesty was when we ordered the chips and salsa for $3 (which should be complementary in ANY Mexican restaurant) when we ate all the chips they brought us more.. When the bill came, they charged us three more dollars for CHIPS!!!!!!! What the hell is that? And no one told us and it is not on the menu that additional chips cost extra... Brutal Barrio, brutal... Mexican food is low cost and overhead... Don't price gouge your customers, even when they have $ in Edina...

1  Thank JskinnyG
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My friend and I stumbled upon this restaurant while strolling down Frances Ave. We were lured by the aroma of the wood grill. As we stood outside debating, a couple of regular visitors raved to us about the place and so we followed them in. The guacamole alone would have sent us home happy. It was the freshest and tastiest I have ever had. The Margarita menu is interesting and the waiter knew his Tequila and gave us a detailed rundown of our choices and we both loved what we ordered. Yes the plates are small but that is the point! Our waiter explained the portion sizes and so we knew exactly how much to order and were able to enjoy sampling different dishes without stuffing ourselves or wasting food. Everything was delicious and disappeared from our plates. I especially enjoyed the quesadilla fundida. The service was flawless and the ambience was surprisingly much nicer than the outside of the place suggests. If I am ever in the area again I would definitely go back. Actually I found myself wishing I could take the place home with me, but that would be greedy.

1  Thank Valerie B
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went here July 4, 2013 and were pleasantly surprised. Like the others have mentioned, the service is slow and I never was able to get a soft drink refill, but the food was really good. We got the guacamole and chips and had the pork burritos. The waiter did point out which were the "small plates". The burritos weren't on the small plates section though and my husband and I split one (filled with beans, rice, pork and some other yummy stuff). I thought the chips were more "authentic" fried tortilla chips rather than the type you find at the grocery store. We are from Los Angeles and have lived in NYC and have traveled the world, so that is our reference point...plus my husband is hispanic.