“High noise level”

The Westin Edina Galleria
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Edina
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed here one night on business. As others have noted it is a great location. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and it has a good workout room. in my experience it has a huge flaw though, which is the noise level at night. The doors literally slam shut and in your room you can hear the doors shut throughout the floor. I was there on a saturday night and a lot of people were coming home between midnight and 2 am, talking very loudly and then on top of that the doors slamming made it very hard to sleep. The walls are thin and you can hear talking next door. Perhaps this is not a problem outside of the weekends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
WEG_Manager, General Manager at The Westin Edina Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

DanielleMpls -

Thank you for your review, and for noting the great location, workout room and the cleanliness of the rooms.

I am sorry that you were disturbed late at night by people talking loudly and slamming doors. We always encourage our guests to enjoy themselves while visiting us, however it is unfortuate that when enjoying themselves some people are not always considerate of others who are also staying here. I always urge people to contact us immediately if they are disturbed by noise so we can put an end to it.

I hope that you have the opportunity to visit the hotel again.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Edina Galleria

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The hotel is nice and most of the people that worked there were pleasant. I am used to 5 star hotels and there are always sufficient items such as shampoo, shower gel, etc so I don't pack all of these items when I am traveling and will be staying at a 5 star. This hotel provided so few complimentary items that I had to go the mall next door and shop for them. The bathroom was filthy. The lighting in the bathroom is so poor you can't see anything in the shower area. Overall, I was disappointed. There is no table to eat at; not even two chairs if two of you are eating in the room.

1  Thank dkc21401

dkc21401 -

Thank you for your comments, especially those regarding our associates who you found pleasant.

Please accept my apologies that you were under the impression we were a 5 star hotel. As much as we wish we could be one of the only 14 such rated hotels in the United States, we are listed as a AAA Four Diamond property, and as such do not offer all of the amenities and services that one would find a 5 star hotel.

I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager to assist in his continuing training of our associates. It is obvious that they did not properly explain to you at check in how you can obtain additional items you may need, or do not seem readily available at first glance through our Service Express department. We do have all of the items you mention as amenities in the bathrooms, and these are replenished each morning as they are consumed. And if you do need more before your room is serviced each morning a quick call to let us know your needs would have brought more directly to your room saving you a trip to the attached shopping mall.

I do hope that if you find your travels bringing you back the area, you will give us another chance to show you the true level of hospitality that we are capable of providing.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel is attached to a great mall, across the street from a second large mall, and within close driving distance to the Mall of America. Perfect for shoppers! Service was good, rooms were pretty average, facility itself is newer. Great pool for children and great children's menu!

1  Thank kfheller
WEG_Manager, General Manager at The Westin Edina Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

kfheller -

Thanks for positive review. We are ideally located close to a number of major retail areas making us "Perfect for shoppers!". And we do make it a point to make it a great stay for children too.

We look forward to yoru next visit with us.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Went to Minneapolis for a weekend trip with my 7 year old son. We chose the Westin Edina because of the proximity to the Mall of America and friends living in Eden Prairie.

First of all, this is a great location! There is a small shopping center attached to the hotel with a Barnes and Noble that is open late. We ate here at Crave and it was wonderful. The concierge gave us a pass that enabled us to get to the head of the long wait for a table and also a $5 off coupon, which was great! There is a Target on the other side of the parking garage and also several grocery stores within walking distance. One thing to note is you cannot buy beer or wine in the grocery stores, so if you are looking to bring a bottle to the room you will have to go behind the hotel to Edina Liquor store. The hotel charged $11.00 for a glass of wine so buying a half bottle there saved money! The parking is behind the hotel and connected so you really don't have to go outside at all. It is so close that using the valet seems a little silly.

They have a saline pool, which was clean and we both appreciated not getting "red eyes" from the chlorine. The work-out room was fine but there is a great walking/running trail about 1/2 mile from the hotel called Centennial Lakes. The trail around the man-made lake is 1.34 mile and the path is well lit and populated. I ran three times there with my son around 7 a.m. and we never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. There is a bowling alley/bocce ball place right at the start of the trail that was fun and my son loved the Five Guys Burger in that same area.
It took us 15 minutes (drive) to Mall of America and 15 minutes (drive) to downtown Minneapolis. Both were easy drives though traffic was a bit tough going to the Mall of America on a Saturday mid-morning.

You must use your key card in the elevator. Though there are signs alerting you, we noticed lots of people getting confused. The elevator does not work without first putting the key card in!
The staff were a bit hands off, we had to prod for directions (already printed out) and suggestions. The only person who really went out of his way was the young valet. Even though we did not valet our car he kept telling us about coupons, things to do, places to eat, etc. when we passed him. I would move him to the front desk because he had more pep than the weekend crew staffing last weekend!

The views are not great but when you are staying in a suburb, you shouldn't really expect a view! The beds are heavenly and I loved that there was a separate shower and tub.

All in all, a great trip and I would definitely stay here again!

sbodie -

Thank you for the great review of our property. As you noted, there is plenty to do when visiting the hotel, from swimming in our saline pool, to shopping and dining to just being outside enjoying the great weather.

I hope we have the opportunity to host you and your son again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

As a world traveler I was pleasantly surprised at my first trip to this hotel. The staff are truly world class, very professional, and truly want to make your stay pleasant. The location is absolutely perfect, whether you are going downtown, or to St Paul. The only negative I have is with their choice of on site restaurant, McCormick and Schmick. We went there upon our arrival and had one of the worst meals ever..the swordfish that 2 of us had was so tough we needed a chainsaw to cut it. I know the Westin has nothing to do with them, but it got us nervous about staying there. Thankfully the hotel turned out to be great, and there were oodles of alterntive meal choices within walking distance. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger corner room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
WEG_Manager, General Manager at The Westin Edina Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

wineconsultant -

I glad that we were able to surprise and delight you with your recent stay at the property. As you note we have a great location for where ever you want to go in the Twin Cities, as well as plenty to see and do in the immediate area.

I was disappointed to see your comments regarding the meal you had in McCormick & Schmick's. I have forwarded your comments to them for their follow up with you directly.

Thank you for the great review.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just got back from a lovely surprise anniversary staycation at this hotel. Overall it was lovely. We had booked a corner Executive Club room, which was by and large very nice. Wasn't overly impressed with the view-roof of the Galleria isn't that picturesque. The room itself was big and very comfortable. Impressed with the bathroom and huge shower with double heads.

My only real complaint was they could have better soundproofing. Since our stay was for fun and rest, we wanted to sleep in, but was woken up many times by doors slamming out in the hall. In addition, we were unlucky in that we had a toddler in the room next door to us, who had the final say in waking us up. Heard lots of crying, plus if I was standing near the shared wall, I could simply hear him babbling. With the AC being very quite, there is not much to cover up these noises. Complete bummer.

Overall, had a nice stay and would recommend. Just wish I could have enjoyed that Heavenly bed in a little more peace.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

SkippyMeCrazy -

Thank you for taking the time to review the property. I'm glad that overall you had a nice stay and would recommend us to others.

Please accept my apologies regarding the noise you encountered during your stay. It is unfortunate that some guests are not always considerate of those who may be sleeping in adjacent rooms and let their doors slam. If you could contact me directly and let me know what room you stayed in I will have the door closers checked to ensure they are properly adjusted.

I look forward to your next staycation with us.

Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Wow, what a great place! How awesome to be pampered! We were handed drinks as soon as we arrived, and even our dog enjoyed herself! New Balance fitness stuff was a great deal ($5!!) and the pool was nice, too. Loved it.

• Stayed: July 2012

fox4cefive -

Thank you for the great review. I was glad to read that you felt pampered during your stay,as did the family dog. Our New Balance Gear Lending program is proving to very popular with guests to make it easier for them to workout while on the road.

We hope to see you again soon.

Marc Faubert

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edina
Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown
Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis

Been to The Westin Edina Galleria? Share your experiences!