Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Airport - Eagan - South
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Eagan
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I will never stay at an Extended StayAmerica again. Hotel looked great from the outside but not so on the inside for us. The problems were too many to list but here are a few. The hotel (hallways, elevator, room) stunk from the beginning. You can fool the eyes by looking clean but not the nose. The AC in our room was not working well. We had to get a fan (which was very filthy) to try to compensate. The towels and sheets were subpar. Then there was the drama. One night we came to the hotel only to see three police patrol cars at our hotel. I have no idea why. The next night we had a fire drill at 1 am in the morning! For what we paid I was very dissatisfied and will never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Airport - Eagan - South, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Let me begin by saying that our guests safety is paramount. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced upon your return to the hotel and for the early morning fire drill. Please know that in order to ensure that our systems work if a real fire were to break out, it is imperative that we practice evacuating the building. We would prefer to do it during the day or when it will not disturb guests as drastically; however, the timing is not in our control.

As well, we strive to provide clean rooms and comfortable surroundings. Housekeeping is tasked with cleaning all rooms every 7-days, or in between upon guest request for a minimal fee, and after a guest checks out. A Manager will then inspect each room according to company guidelines. It seems there was a breakdown in our processes in your case and I will be speaking to the staff to ensure it does not happen again.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here for a week in July. I was a little apprehensive because I called the day we were supposed to check in to see if we could check in before 3pm. The gentleman who answered the phone didn't ask my name or confirmation number but told me the room I had booked wasn't ready yet. I wasn't sure how he could have known what room I reserved, since he didn't ask for any info and the phone I called from was not the number used in the reservation but he also told me to check back at 2 and if the room was clean, we could check in early. We were allowed to check in at 2, which was very helpful. The room was larger than we expected and we were so glad to have a room with a regular sized fridge. The room also had a two eye stove, a microwave, a new flat screen tv and a good sized bathroom. The only real issue we had were the people upstairs, in the room above us. It sounded like they were running or stomping or wrestling across the entire length of the room, all day and usually until 1am. We called the front desk (only after 11pm because we felt that was a reasonable time for it to be quiet) and my husband even went downstairs to the desk to complain when it didn't stop. I'm sure they did what they could do, short of putting the people out at midnight, which we wouldn't have wanted anyway, but it was very annoying to listen to. It was very nice to not be sitting right on top of each other, the a/c was cold and we were able to actually cook something on the stovetop, instead of eating out. We were right above the electrical room, which was nice because we didn't have to tip toe around but there is some sort of machine in that room that is VERY loud. Every time it kicked on, we thought one of our cell phones were vibrating. We didn't complain because we thought they were working on it, based on some of the daytime activity that went on in that room and eventually, we got used to it. We would have stayed another week (come on-no one likes packing all their stuff up to move to another hotel) but unfortunately, the hotel was booked and they needed our room. But they weren't pushy when it took us a little longer to check out.

• Stayed: July 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Airport - Eagan - South, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to creating a great guest experience, and have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with that. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from other rooms. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay. I also apologize that you were affected by the electrical room. Our maintenance team is working to ensure the noise and vibration do not affect guests in the future.

As well, I am sorry for the issues you experienced upon check-in. Our normal guest check-in time is 3pm unless requested otherwise. This should have been communicated to you in a better fashion. I have reached out to our staff to review these processes with them, working to improve as a whole.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Rooms are very clean and neat. I would highly reccommend this hotel to a friend. Comes with a sink, microwave, stove, and refrigerator. Also comes with dishes and cups. Employees are very friendly. Shampoo, bar soap, and dish washing soaps are available. This hotel is only ten minutes away from Mall of America.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Twernt nothing wrong with this establisment atall. Well, maybe better pillows. But clean as a whistle!

Room Tip: Dont stay in the room where they guy kept the monkey.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This was BY FAR the best low cost hotel/motel I've ever stayed at. The room was as clean as you can possibly get. It would even pass the white glove test. I didn't expect a kitchenette type room though I thought it was really a neat idea and for someone even staying one night you could save big bucks microwaving a meal. It had a nice size refrigerator, 2 burner stove top, a coffee maker with coffee, and even a kitchen sink. Oh, can't forget the silverware, pots and pans, plates, bowls, all the stuff you would need.
I am disabled so I need a special bathroom and that was excellent also. The exterior of the place was exceptional and they even had beautiful flowers near the entrance. I can't believe they had an outside company do that (but maybe) so I think someone took this on personally. The lobby, hallways, just everything was in place and clean.
Now the good part! The staff and I mean All Of Them were the most courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful bunch of folks I've ever, and I mean Ever have had the pleasure to help me. I usually stay at 3 star hotel/motels so I was a little anxious when made reservations there, though those anxious moments quickly dwindled. The tv was the older type though it didn't make a difference because it came in as clear as could be. The only thing I can say I didn't like was the bed was somewhat on the firm side. And that's the only thing I can think of that I wasn't fond of. I've stayed at many 3 star places that weren't half as nice so for the money you just can't get any better. You won't regret making reservations there and once you've stayed there you'll go back. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on a mini-vacation to the Twin Cities. Used the "Name your own price" function on that other website and got it for around forty dollars/night (AFTER taxes and fees!). The place was clean and it was nice to have a fridge. Bathroom was a bit small (door almost hit the toilet) and a newer comforter and a larger, flat-screen TV would have been nice, but the room was just fine as a place to sleep for a few nights, especially for that price. We appreciated the free wifi and Mall of America coupon book (ask for it at the desk).

If it will bother you that you don't get free breakfast and that your room won't be made up every day, don't stay here, but otherwise it's a great way to save money.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dvmsara
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I try to be positive with these reviews, but there were definitely some deficiencies with this hotel. Firstly everything on the surface seemed ok, however upon entering the room a funky food smell permeated everything. The floor seemed a bit sticky and while cooking supper I looked under the hood range and was grossed out with all the dirt there! Same with under the toilet ledge. This made me question everything. The hotel is getting tired and the plumbing was corroded and the taps squeaked and turned on in both directions. I booked the room for me and my 2 teenage girls (so 3 of us). There were only enough dishes for 2 (and some items we had only one of; worn plastic cup and one coffee mug and a broken can opener). One of the beds leaned in towards the middle of the bed, the other was ok. On a positive note, the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Having the kitchen was nice so that we didn't have to eat out all the time. This place could be very nice if given a little face lift on the inside and a good cleaning. I would not stay here again, but would go to the other Homestead Suites, Minneapolis Airport....I've stayed there and was very impressed. It's the same idea, same chain, just newer and cleaner.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family