“Just okay”

Add it.
Zest Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Have been to Zest 3 times. Twice the service was awful and the food was okay. Last time went for an early dinner and we were the only table. The bartender was the hostess and waitress as well. She was wonderful, but had too many things to do. She had 3 customers at the bar and was engaged in lively conversation with the men. Our food was good. However, we would never make a special trip or go out of our way to eat here. It is very close to our house - that is the only reason we would ever return. I wish it would get better, but don't think this place will last.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

After telling our waitress that the restaurant was disorganized and service was bad, she agreed and went over to what appeared to be one of the owners. I told him we had visited the restaurant 3 other times and the service had not changed. He asked me what I did for a living and when I told him, he walked away. i have worked for the same company for 30 years as a customer service manager but I guess I was not worthy of his time. Mary

2  Thank MaryEagan162
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have eaten at Zest twice. Our first time was by accident. We happened to show up the Thursday prior to Christmas on the night of their soft opening. The decor was non descript. We had the Minnesota Egg Rolls, stuffed with walleye and wildrice, which were delicious. We also had a basic pasta dish. The pasta was cooked al dente. The red sauce was flavorful, but the quantity placed on top of the pasta was too much.

We had lunch on Father's day and ate outside on the patio. Tables are comfortable and nicely spaced so you don't feel like you are part of your neighbor's conversation. My husband had a salad with ahi tuna. The presentation of the salad was just ok, kind of small in size and the amount of tuna was pretty sad for $13. I ordered a side salad for $5 which was the same size as my husband's entree! I also ordered the walleye fingers which were nicely battered and served with tasty fries (this is listed as an appetizer, but could be a lunch entree). $13 vs. $13.... my lunch was definitely the better deal.

Drink prices are on the steeper side, but some of their wines are priced consistently with other area restaurants. My husband had a bloody mary made with their own house mix which he said was very good. They also offered a bloody mary bar where they pour the booze and you can season it to your liking. I had a mojito which was too sweet and the mint could have been crushed better.

As for service, our waitress was top notch so management has the training down in that department.

We will be back simply because of its location. I would like to try one of their dinner entrees are stop by for happy hour and try a different appetizer. The final verdict is still out for us.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have been to Zest three times in the last five weeks, and I would say at this point that is just average. It isn't a chain, which is nice, and the servers are always friendly. The kitchen seems to be a little disorganized, especially on busy nights. I really like the wild rice soup and order it every time I visit. Their burgers are also good. The flatbread pizza is average. The bar is a fairly lively place with lots of locals on Friday and Saturday nights. I am always warmly greeted at the front door. This place has a lot going for it but needs to work out some kinks. In the meantime, I will keep going to Zest just for the wild rice soup!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Arrived at 9:30 pm on a Saturday evening to meet friends for a drink and an appetizer. When I asked about getting something to eat, I was told "Sorry, the kitchen is closed."

I asked about anything else like chips, popcorn, peanuts - anything... but the answer was still "no- nothing". Really? You don't want anyone eating after 9:30 pm?

A little after 10 pm. the manager then turned off all of the lights in the dining room area, making the bar area seem poorly lit, but made us feel like we were sitting in a restaurant that really didn't want us there. Better get ready to leave, 'cause we are turning off the lights was how it felt.

I don't see this place lasting more than 8 months. As a first experience, it was a very bad impression. If you want me to return, make me feel welcome. I could have, should have, gone to Coopers if I wanted something to eat (not that what they serve is considered good for a late night appetizer.)

Good Luck. I will take my business to those that want to serve food and appetizers like: Bonfire, Applebees, Granite City Brewery, Al Bakers, Buffalo Wild Wings, Jakes, Houlihans, Cherokee Silrloin Room, Doolittle's, Lucky 13, Rudy's Redeye Grill, etc. Eagan has many, many choices as you can see. I will go there next time.

I won't be back- and neither will many others who have told me the same thing.

2  Thank EaganResident