Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! I'd truly give them a million stars if I could.
Adorable rooms, great location, and the nicest innkeepers I have ever met. The A.G. Thomson House consists of 4 rooms in the main house, and then 3 rooms in the carriage house (right next door, next to the driveway). All the rooms are beautifully decorated, very clean, and have fireplaces. They also have lovely, big whirlpool tubs right in the room! The "common" areas (dining room, sun porch, living room) are also gorgeous, and really cozy.
As I said, the innkeepers are amazing. Tim & Angie Allen are so friendly & helpful, and they really take pride in providing their guests with a relaxing, romantic weekend. They offer free wine in the evenings, and they have a movie closet with tons of DVDs that all guests are welcome to bring back to their rooms & watch on their flat screen TVs. They also have TONS of books in the living room/library area, which made for fun reading during morning coffee or downtime in the afternoons. Angie & Tim did a lot of visiting & chatting with us, as well, and it was fun to get to know them.
My boyfriend & I arrived in our room to find complimentary truffles & champagne, and the inn provided us with a $50 gift certificate to the restaurant of our choice (out of 4 options). Wow!
One of the best parts of staying here were the breakfasts! These were not boring "continental" breakfasts by any stretch. Over the two mornings we were there, Angie served the guests wild rice quiche, fruit & yogurt parfaits, cranberry & white chocolate scones, French toast, roasted baby potatoes, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and probably a few other delicious things I am forgetting... One very important thing to note: As vegans, my boyfriend & I were nervous about getting a good breakfast at a B&B. However, Angie & Tim were more than accommodating, and Angie said she actually welcomed the challenge of making vegan food for us. Throughout the weekend, we were served an AMAZING tomato & basil tofu scramble, vegan muffins, vegan French toast, roasted potatoes, and fruit salads. They even had soymilk for our coffee. We could tell that it was really important to Angie that we enjoyed our food - and we did!
I absolutely prefer staying in B&Bs over hotels. I mean, it's nice to get away & stay anywhere (B&B or hotel), but bed & breakfasts tend to add those special touches that really add to the trip. We never would have gotten this special treatment at a hotel! Sometimes B&Bs are a little more expensive, but you can certainly get good deals! We chose to visit the A.G. Thomson House during the "low season" when rates are lower, plus they were advertising a special of 10% off their rooms. In addition to that, we got a free dinner certificate, free FANCY breakfasts, free champagne, free wine, and a cozy, unique room.
Need I go on? This place is amazing, and we will definitely be back! Hopefully sooner rather than later!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casual elegance abounds perched above majestic Lake Superior amid towering pines nestled in the heart of Duluth's Historic Congdon Mansion District on two acres of private grounds and among award winning gardens. Our Duluth Bed and Breakfast features seven guests rooms with wonderful amenities such as King or Queen Beds, Fireplaces, Lake Views, A/C, HDTV/DVD, and so much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- a.g. Thomson House: Historic b&b
- a.g. Thomson House: Historic Hotel Duluth