My husband and I stayed at the A.G Thomson House on Monday, March 2, 2009. We saved some money on the Lake Superior Suite since we booked during the Winter and during the week. The Suite was top-notch. Tim and Angie did a wonderful job converting the room from an old Carriage House into a luxurious retreat. We added the in-room champagne and cheese/cracker tray, which was waiting for us upon our arrival. We enjoyed relaxing in the large whirlpool tub and sitting by the warm fire (not to mention the toasty heated floors).
We were a bit disappointed in our entertainment and dinner options -- since it was the "off season", many of the nicer restaurants weren't open or had limited hours. We did, however, enjoy a late dinner at Pickwick (if you go there, ask to be seated in the dining room by the large window). Also, there wasn't much to do around town (we made the best of it, and did have nice lunch the following day at Fitgers Pub). We are considering visiting Duluth again this summer when there are more events and places to enjoy.
Breakfast in the main house was superb -- the best we've ever had! We were the only guests at the time, so we were able to have a late breakfast and enjoy the dining room all to ourselves.
Tim and Angie are excellent hosts and we were impressed by their remodeling and decorating skills. During the house tour, Tim told the story about the secret "booze making room" (during the Prohibition days) underneath the porch floor. Maybe next time we visit, we'll be able to sneak a peek ;-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Where Elegance meets Casual Comfort at our award winning Bed and Breakfast. Ideally located in the heart of Duluth's mansion district on 2 acres of private grounds with award winning gardens just minutes from extraordinary restaurants, shops, Canal Park and majestic Lake Superior. Featuring 7 exquisite guest rooms with modern amenities such as two-person whirlpools, A/C, Fireplaces, TV/DVD's, King and Queen Beds, free high speed Wi-Fi and so, so much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- a.g. Thomson House: Historic b&b
- a.g. Thomson House: Historic Hotel Duluth