My wife and I were looking for a quiet weekend away for our fifth anniversary. Specifically, a place to be together, relax and still splurge a bit. The AG Thomson House fit the bill perfectly.
We were met in the driveway by our hosts - even in January in Duluth. The most delightful and helpful couple we could have imagined. A quick tour of the house demonstrated that the facilities were exactly as pictured. Each bedroom was as charming as the last. We chose the Lake Superior Suite as our retreat and were not disappointed. A gas powered fireplace, Egyptian cotton sheets, the wine of our choice, a hot tub, heated hardwood floors and chocolate truffles all met us upon our entry. We didn't leave our room the date of our arrival - even for the complementary wine hour.
The following day we were met with a wonderful breakfast, with an assortment of wonderful choices to eat and leisurely conversations with the other guests. Each day only improved upon the last - and my Latina wife was thrilled that they were willing to honor her request for a spicy breakfast.
They also arranged, for an additional fee, for us to have an in-room massage on our second day. Because of this, however, we were in the room during their normal "turn down" time - and only briefly left to get dinner. Despite that, however, even in our brief absence, they were attentive enough to take that brief opportunity to clean our room - without even being asked.
They are a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from the Glensheen Mansion, which was one day's entertainment. We also took a quite drive up the picturesque north shore, enjoyed dinner on the rotating Radisson Hotel "Top of the Harbor" Restaurant and used the gift certificate they provided for a superb meal at Nokomis on the Lake.
When we left, we left a pillow behind. Not our first time, but, two days later it arrived at our house after having been shipped by the owners! Now, that's service.
My wife has asked that we make this trip and annual retreat. Many people don't head north for the winter, but, it looks like we will be for many years to come.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Where Elegance meets Casual Comfort at our award winning Bed and Breakfast. Ideally located in the heart of Duluth's mansion district on 2 acres of private grounds with award winning gardens just minutes from extraordinary restaurants, shops, Canal Park and majestic Lake Superior. Featuring 7 exquisite guest rooms with modern amenities such as two-person whirlpools, A/C, Fireplaces, TV/DVD's, King and Queen Beds, free high speed Wi-Fi and so, so much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- a.g. Thomson House: Historic b&b
- a.g. Thomson House: Historic Hotel Duluth