“Wonderful Weekend Away”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cottage Grove MN
“Wonderful Weekend Away”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I received a gift certifcate from our children for the AG Thomson House in Duluth. We have been to many B&Bs but have never spent 2 nights. I have to tell you when I found out that we were required to spend 2 nights I was a bit challenged with that idea. After spending 2 nights at the AG Thomson House I am pretty sure that I am going to require that we always spend 2 nights. It was great to get to know our hosts Tim and Angie, they made us feel right at home and were very friendly and outgoing. The room was very nice and spacious! Tim did a great job of baking some of the great pastries that were served for breakfast and of course Angie did equally as well on the main courses. Thanks for a great weekend away we hope to come back to visit again soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Elgin, mn
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I visited the AG Thompson House for one evening....celebrating our 42nd anniversary! The only bad thing was that we had to leave the next morning!! What a lovely, cozy B&B, located on a quiet street with other beautiful homes surrounding it. Angie and Tom are wonderful hosts.......from meeting us when we arrived......to the hugs when we left......what more could you ask for! Our room, The Hewitt Suite, was beautiful with a fireplace and balcony -- just the right place to enjoy an evening glass of wine. My husband tells me he would like to go back for Angie's breakfast every day of the week, as it was scrumptious. Book your room well in advance, as they are always busy -- and now we know why!! We look forward to our next visit at the beautiful AG Thompson House!

Room Tip: Each room at this B&B is beautiful, but The Hewitt Suite has a beautiful balcony!
1 Thank Audrey W
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed in the AG Thompson house for three days around the Fourth of July and it was wonderful! This was my first time staying in a B&B and I believe this is the place against which all others will be compared. Angie and Tom were wonderful hosts and made us feel welcome the moment we pulled in. Breakfast, whether served in your room or in the morning room, was everything you could hope for: sweet baked goods with savory dishes, plenty of fresh fruit and coffee. You will have no need for lunch!
After breakfast you can go back to your room, go out and see the many attractions Duluth has to offer or relax in the hammock or gazebo inhaling the lilacs. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 2, 2013

AG Thompson House is a fantastic B&B! Hosts are down to earth, friendly, and welcoming! The food was superb! I have very specific dietary needs and all three courses served at breakfast were accommodated specifically for me! The common areas of the house are beautiful, and the grounds are immaculate and very well maintained. The Inn is cozy, relaxing, and has a perfect atmosphere! We will be returning!

Room Tip: Any room in the Main house or Carriage House is excellent!
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our stay was fantastic! Angie and Tom go the extra mile to ensure it is divine! They even made special accommodations, by making my food gluten-free, since I have celiac disease. The food was out of this world!

You will feel like you are at a home away from home, and your cares will melt away at the gorgeous A G Thomson House. I felt like I'd stepped into a Better Homes and Gardens magazine, but better. You'll love it here!

• Stayed June 2013
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I had a marvelous two-night stay in mid-June of 2003. When we drove into the parking lot in the back Angie and Tim came out and greeted us by name (and offered to carry in our luggage). From then on we were always greeted by our first names! The room and the common rooms were exquisitely decorated befitting the Victorian heritage of the mansion. The breakfasts were done, again, with a personal touch. Angie is a big proponent of Duluth and its attractions and she provided a customized list for us given our expressed interests. We cannot recommend this B&B too highly

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Lake Superior
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AGTDuluth, Owner at A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
It was such a treat meeting you and helping you share in reminiscing about your early days in the Twin Ports! We hope you make it back this way sooner rather than later!!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed June 29, 2013

What a place to stay. Tim and Angie are great hosts. Tim met us in the back and helped with the luggage. The tour of the mansion, all the extra little helpful tips, and cookies and drinks whenever you want. The sunroom in the Ryerson Suite was great because when we were there it was very rainy. The breakfast delivered to your room was superb. Wonderful place to stay, quiet neighborhood and beautiful city to visit.

Room Tip: a sunroom for foggy or rainy days.