“Breathtaking Place, Fabulous Care and Attention”

and 1 more site!
A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Breathtaking Place, Fabulous Care and Attention”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My now husband and I stayed here the night before and the night of our wedding! It is absolutely gorgeous... beautiful, peaceful location. Tim and Angie are absolutely fabulous and Angie is an AMAZING cook! I wish she made us breakfast every day! We couldn't have chosen a better spot to start our life as husband and wife!! Highly recommend!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at AG Thomson House for our 10th Anniversary June 2013- we stayed in the Lake Superior Suite, which is the entire first floor of the Carriage House and includes a nice deck with seating. When we sat down to plan our relaxing, romantic getaway for our anniversary, we first looked to leaving town-- but with a 2-year-old that I wasn't quite ready to leave behind in Duluth for a few days, but also thought would make relaxation/romance hard to get if we took him with-- we decided to look closer to home. My brother mentioned AG Thomson house as being a highly rated B&B right here in Duluth -- I'd never stayed in a B&B and had always kind of liked the idea, though I worried that I'd dislike breakfasting with strangers and staying in such a small Inn (in large hotels, nobody really notices you). However, I noted that they offer breakfast delivery to your room-- so I decided that this wasn't a deal breaker, especially given all their amazing reviews on Tripadvisor.

Upon arrival, Tim came to greet us at our car and kindly offered to help us with our bags. He gave us a tour of the place, explaining the features of the home, what was available to us, etc. My husband and I then got settled into our room, decided to give our amazing queen size hot tub a try. Within an hour or so, we both felt all stress and worry melt away. The room was beautifully decorated, extremely comfortable-- with a comfortable sofa/chair by the fireplace, a very comfortable bed, the hot tub--- plus pillows and throw blankets for snuggling up. Then my husband and I discussed breakfast-- he wanted to go in the main house (our room was located in the carriage house) for breakfast instead of delivery. I felt unsure, but said we could do it for our first night if that was what he wanted. So the first morning, Angie's cooking convinced me that I love scones (at least HER scones!) and that wild rice quiche, (something I never would have guessed I would like) is one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten - in addition to a berry parfait that was too tasty not to finish as well. We had a nice chat with not only the other guests, but with our Innkeepers. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone to go for breakfast instead of having it delivered-- we did it all three days and I loved it. The breakfast was relaxed, served in courses and fresh out of the oven. Even if your fellow guests are private and don't seem to want to talk, Tim and Angie will chat as they deliver food, etc-- see if you need anything, give you advice on where to eat, what to do in Duluth. I've lived in Duluth all of my life and they still gave me several places to try that I'd never been to - (among them, the Lake Ave Cafe, which we did try on their recommendation and it was AMAZING!) --

The thing I noticed about this Inn that separates it from any place I've stayed before is that Tim & Angie really take pride in their property. Every detail of the place is incredible-- the home is not only beautifully decorated, but thoughtfully so-- there is seating everywhere, with comfort definitely in mind. They offer movies (all the new releases too!), games, complimentary snacks and beverages. Our room had dispensers with shampoo, conditioner and bath gel (instead of having tiny bottles), plenty of towels, blankets, pillows-- glasses, plates, silverwear, a coffee maker, coffee, creamers, sweeteners, etc. They seem to have thought of everything possible to make their guests comfortable and happy.

In summary-- this place is absolutely amazing and we will definitely be returning for a couple's getaway in the future! Tim and Angie are amazing people who will make your stay perfect. And you definitely want to breakfast in the main house with the other guests-- it's a part of the experience that I'm so glad I didn't miss. Oh-- one last piece of advice when staying here-- if you have a small appetite, be prepared to save a part of your breakfast. I had a hard time leaving anything on my plate and so my husband and I ended up only eating dinner each day-- no need for lunch! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the carriage house, first floor -- The Superior Suite. It was very beautiful and priva...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AGTDuluth, Owner at A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
We are speechless! Thank you for sharing your experience and incredible kindness! We are always thrilled when a first B&B experience is a good one, and are grateful we were your choice! We will look forward to seeing you again!! All the best!
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is the best B & B we have stayed in. We loved spending time in the gazebo, how quiet the neighborhood was and the delicious breakfast. The little things really made it stand out, like a fridge full of beverages, dvd's, magazines and books to borrow and having the option of breakfast delivered to your door. The owners were very nice and we had lots of privacy. I have already told many friends about this place. Thank you for having us and we will be back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I don't normally add reviews on tripadvisor, but for Angie and Tim I'm making the extra effort. They certainly make an extra effort to create a warm, inviting atmosphere at their B&B. Some B&B hosts can be overly friendly for our temperament, but Angie and Tim seemed to know exactly how much we wanted to talk and how much we wanted to be left alone. The Hewitt Suite was so comfortable and the private porch was lovely in the evening. This was definitely a splurge for us, but worth the cost.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so for staying with us and sharing your experience!! We are still in awe of your bikes to this day!! We hope to see you again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the A.G. Thomson House in Duluth in February 2013. I cannot say enough about this place! Tom & Angie were thoughtful, gracious hosts. From the moment of our arrival and throughout our stay, we were treated to 5 star service. A couple of examples: Tom cam out and met us at our car to help with bags. He also surprised us by scrapping snow off our my car early the next morning!

The breakfasts were amazing (warm muffins, fresh scones, fresh fruit drizzled with yogurt, stuffed french toasts, herb potatoes, wild rice quiche) served at 9am and the house was very cozy. Don't plan too many activities because you won't want to leave your room...the fact that it was very cold and deep snow might have played a role in that too.

They serve complimentary wine and other beverages in the common areas each evening. We toured the surprisingly cute town of Duluth then came back and played games, had drinks by the fire place. The rooms are comfy/romantic with 2 person whirl-pool tubs and fireplaces. It wasn't very expensive and a great weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Chose the Ryerson Suite if it is available - the best room! Views of Lake Superior - gas fire place...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas D
Tromsø - Rovaniemi
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Had read nice things about this place, so had high expectations. We wasnt let down. Had an excellent stay, only too bad that we couldnt stay longer. If we are in the area another time, we know where to stay. Its more more cosy than a standard hotel room. I was worrried first time we booked a b&b, but the one we have been at, is far better than a standard fabric line hotel room. They are nice host, and welcome you and treat you in a way normal hotel staff should come to learn from.
Stayed in the Ryerson room, could recommend it - nice with the extra sun/relax room in the back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frode R
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Tim and Angie have put together one of the best B&B experiences. From the delicious breakfast every day, the comfortable rooms and the small touches the AG Thomson House was everything my wife and I were hoping for. It is obvious that Tim and Angie love what they do. They put in so much effort to ensure that everything is in order and every guest has been satisfied. We would go back in a heartbeat and can't wait to find a reason to stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple