“Very Pleased”

Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Mineral Point, WI
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I found the Duluth Super 8 to be one of the better Super 8 motels I have stayed in recently. It what I expect from a Super 8. The room was clean, had a comfortable bed, and the staff was very friendly. The wireless internet could be improved. It was the only thing I found unsatisfactory during my stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed January 22, 2011

To start, the room is way overpriced. I paid $76.00 for a "Deluxe Double Room". There was nothing deluxe about it.

I know what to usually expect with a Super 8, but this was way below par.

The walls were paper thin. I heard conversations from the customers staying next to me, as well as heard every footstep taken in the room above me.

The heat didn't work well, if at all.

The "Hot Tub Room" is now a workshop for a local to start his own "Ski and Snowboard Waxing" business. So correct, there is no hot tub.

Very disappointed especially for the price I paid.

WOULD NOT RECCOMEND

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Algoma
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had a very nice stay at Super 8 in Duluth. Staff were very friendly and efficient in their jobs. Room was clean and very comfortable. There was a Perkins next door we could walk to for evening meal. Breakfast was good..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Quick review.
You are choosing this hotel for the price and you get what you pay for. Everything is just acceptable. The bed was quite comfortable, but only for sleeping (married couples take a hint).

The desk staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was really a snack and not a true breakfast - no waffles or bacon, and cold eggs. No fruit. The breakfast attendant was kind of in the way but at least she stocked the doughnuts. Tolerable coffee, that's it.

Air conditioner is audible if you're sensitive to that and bathroom fan roars if you turn it on.

No hair conditioner was provided but the shampoo smelled nice.

Ok so no horror stories, you can stay if you're on business trying to save a buck.
Ciao.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I was unsure if I wanted to stay after a couple of past reviews but have had mostly good stays at super 8. Was pleasantly surprised on the quality of this motel! VERY clean rooms. The front staff was friendly, joked around a bit with us, and was a fountain on info on the area. And not a bedbug in sight! I told them about the review and they said the local health department and their pestcontrol company had checked them out and no bed bugs were found.

I told my friends. I will go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
T.Bay
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We have stayed at the Super 8 the last two years (during the same time in November). When we were there in 2008, everything was great. The rooms were cleaned very well when we were out shopping. The staff at the front desk were great and the continental breakfast was as good as anywhere else.
This year (2009). I think the cleaning staff forgot their vacuum cleaners and dust clothes somewhere and forgot how to make beds. We did not expect them to change the bedding every day, but they could have made up the beds properly. It seemed like they just threw the covers up and tucked in the comforters to make it look good. When we pulled the bedding down - the sheets and mattress covers were rumpled. The tv in my sister-in-laws and brother-in-laws room looked like it had not been dusted for a week. When they did the room - they did not vacuum (someone had dropped cheezies and they remained there). Nothing that was on the floor was vacuumed. They did not replace the empty kleenex in the bathroom and did not replenish glasses. We did not pay a great deal for the rooms, but you should still get good service. We did not want to complain for fear that someone might do something to our stuff. We went to get coffee on Friday morning and it looked like it had been sitting since the day before (they advertise coffee 24 hours a day). The only good thing about the hotel this time was the friendly front desk staff (only thing they did not do was ask how our stay was when we were leaving). The continental breakfast was okay. I just checked the room rates on line for the same time next year and their prices have almost tripled.
I don't know how they can do this when the place was almost empty when we were there this year.
We did not mind the location of the hotel because it only takes about 10 minutes to get to the mall from the location.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 26, 2009

My family stayed in room 222 at the Super 8 in Duluth on June 23rd. Before turning in myself to sleep, I checked on the kids. There were almost ten visible adult bed bugs on the bed with them. A few on each child. I promptly got them out of bed, and found more under the pillows and mattress. After inspecting my things, I found a bed bug on a book that was across the room from the beds, on the desk.

My husband has been staying in this motel for three months, once a week, for business. He was transferred to another room, the kids and I left immediately. I threw our pjs out, and went through our things, but didn't realize that we could harbor eggs on our clothes and that the bugs like creaves of luggage (we had backpacks, which I threw away the next day). We did bring in our things from the car and they stayed by our door for half a day. I am now very very concerned that we brought them home, or of course, that my husband already had. My life has been nothing but dealing with this for the past few days.

I have contacted the Dept of Health in Duluth, and they are overseeing extermination of this room and those beside it. They have found insecticides not effictive. The heat the room to 140 degrees to kill the bugs. If we need to do this procedure at home, it will runs in the thousands. It will also require making a serious mess of our home, as they need to shuffle and pull out everything to properly heat and vaccum. What a nightmare. Please take a few minutes to educate yourselves on bed bugs so you know what to look for and what to do if you find them. Luckily, because they have been in the news, I could identify them. I sure wish I would have know to leave our bags behind. Oh, and while Super 8 is complying, it is worth noting that they had an infested room nine months ago also (I am willing to bet that they didn't find and treat all the rooms).

5 Thank crazycatzlady