“bed bugs!!”

Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Thunder Bay, Canada
“bed bugs!!”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My daughter and I stayed in room 203 for 2 nights on Thanksgiving w/e. I noticed on our way home that my arms were itchy. Later I found red bug bites on my arms and neck (only a few on my legs). I have never experienced this before and have stayed in many hotels in Duluth. I washed all my clothes and will throw out our bags. I hope that I didn't bring them home!

Room Tip: read trip advisor before booking a room
Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Paulette H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Amery, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed there and the first night I couldn't sleep and didn't know why. The second night I was so tired I passed out and woke up the next morning to bites all over me. Don't stay here!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Slelle30325

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

New Richmond, WI
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed two nights in Room 206 during a busy tourist weekend in September 2011. My room cost $130 a night, which I thought was terribly overpriced, especially given the conditions of the hotel.

I ended up getting sick during my stay and would have gone home a day early, only there was a two-night minimum stay that weekend and I'd already paid for my two days. I figured I would get my rest and leave early the next morning. This is exactly what I did -- I slept from noon one day straight through until 8 a.m. the next morning. Then I checked out and drove home. During my drive home, I began to feel itchy. When I arrived home three hours later I discovered small insect bites covering my entire body, literally hundreds of bites all over -- on my arms, fingers, hands, legs, feet, back, tummy, even on my face.

I don't travel much and did not even think to check for bed bugs. I didn't notice any itching until after I had checked out of the hotel. It's too soon to know if any of those bugs hitched a ride home with me. So far I don't see any, and I was careful to wash the items I brought back into the house, but it is very possible that my home is already infested with bedbugs. The cost is adding up quick -- medical bills from a doctor visit, missed time from work, plus if I need to hire an exterminator or replace infested items, that will be an even bigger cost. Then there is the itchiness, the blotches everywhere that will probably scar my body, the constant "creepy crawling" feeling I am getting, and the inability to get a good night's sleep in fear that I will end up with more bites.

Even if you stay at this hotel and don't encounter bed bugs, you will surely notice other things that amount to an unpleasant experience. The walls were so thin, I could hear every sound my neighbors made . The room smelled of smoke, even though I was in a non-smoking room. The water pressure in the shower was terrible. The room was hot and stuffy. The location was in a dumpy spot in West Duluth.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay at this hotel!

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank anonymous794
Mineral Point, WI
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I found the Duluth Super 8 to be one of the better Super 8 motels I have stayed in recently. It what I expect from a Super 8. The room was clean, had a comfortable bed, and the staff was very friendly. The wireless internet could be improved. It was the only thing I found unsatisfactory during my stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed January 22, 2011

To start, the room is way overpriced. I paid $76.00 for a "Deluxe Double Room". There was nothing deluxe about it.

I know what to usually expect with a Super 8, but this was way below par.

The walls were paper thin. I heard conversations from the customers staying next to me, as well as heard every footstep taken in the room above me.

The heat didn't work well, if at all.

The "Hot Tub Room" is now a workshop for a local to start his own "Ski and Snowboard Waxing" business. So correct, there is no hot tub.

Very disappointed especially for the price I paid.

WOULD NOT RECCOMEND

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Algoma
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had a very nice stay at Super 8 in Duluth. Staff were very friendly and efficient in their jobs. Room was clean and very comfortable. There was a Perkins next door we could walk to for evening meal. Breakfast was good..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Quick review.
You are choosing this hotel for the price and you get what you pay for. Everything is just acceptable. The bed was quite comfortable, but only for sleeping (married couples take a hint).

The desk staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was really a snack and not a true breakfast - no waffles or bacon, and cold eggs. No fruit. The breakfast attendant was kind of in the way but at least she stocked the doughnuts. Tolerable coffee, that's it.

Air conditioner is audible if you're sensitive to that and bathroom fan roars if you turn it on.

No hair conditioner was provided but the shampoo smelled nice.

Ok so no horror stories, you can stay if you're on business trying to save a buck.
Ciao.