“I'd Give it 6 Stars if I Could”

Comfort Suites Canal Park
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Mequon, Wisconsin
“I'd Give it 6 Stars if I Could”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

Our recent stay at this Comfort Inn could not have been better. From the moment we contacted the local desk a month before our actual stay until the morning we left after our son's wedding, the staff could not have been more accommodating, helpful and friendly. Everything you would expect and more was in excellent condition and in the room - comfortable bed, multiple pillows, frig, microwave, coffee pot, desk, sitting area with couch, large bathroom with lots of counter space, iron and ironing board, crisp sheets, fluffy towels, hair dryer, etc. Our daughter made good use of the exercise room, our grand nephews enjoyed the pool, we appreciated the wireless internet, and everyone enjoyed the pleasant breakfast area that buffet that included eggs and ham or sausage, waffles, cereal, a variety of bread, bagels and English muffins to toast, yogurt, coffee, juice and my personal favorite - a cappuccino dispenser. Although the hotel was full on Saturday night and it was busy Sunday morning, there was quite a bit of room to sit and eat. If it had been warmer we would have sat at the tables on the patio. All of this can be found at more than one hotel in Duluth, I'm sure, but what set the Comfort Suites apart was the the willingness of the staff to be helpful. From offering us space in the employee refrigerator if we needed it for food we were bringing for the wedding reception (which we ended up not needing) to letting us know that an employee was going to be leaving in just a couple of minutes and we could use their parking place instead of having to go to the overflow parking when we arrived back very late on Saturday night. This staff, including the desk clerks, room maids and breakfast room attendants do it right - pleasant, efficient, and friendly - they - every single one we encountered in our 3 day stay - made us feel like a valued customer and that they were there to do what they could to make our stay as comfortable as possible. As far as I'm concerned, there is no better place to stay in Duluth. Oh, and it is right on the lake and within walking distance of all of the restaurants, shops, etc. of the Canal Park area in Duluth.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ProfMercator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

We both travel often for both business and pleasure. This is one of our top 5 favorite hotel experiences! The Comfort Suites - Canal Park was very clean and comfortable. The rooms are tastefully decorated and have wonderful views of the lake. The location is excellent - near the lift bridge and lighthouses. It is near many good restaurants, including Grandma's, and is on the lakeshore walking path.

Some of the downtown hotels in Duluth are beginning to age and show wear, but this hotel is well maintained and there is evidence of continuing upgrades to the building. The best thing about it was how clean the room and the public areas are. I worked my way throught college as a hotel maid, so I know a clean room when I see it! These are excellent!

The breakfast was a real highlight. This isn't just a typical hotel complementary breakfast with hard boiled eggs, toast and juice. There was a wide assortment of breakfast choices, well stocked and maintained by at least 4 people. They were constantly cleaning, bussing tables and restocking the buffet area. Excellent service and a pleasant breakfast area with views of the lake. When we arrived, the breakfast area was very busy, but we were able to eat immediately and did not feel crowded or rushed.

We will definitely visit again - and recommend it to all our friends.

One bit of advice - if you are a light sleeper, consider requesting a room on the third floor. We were on the second floor, and my husband woke up several times due to someone pacing the floor in the room above. I wear earplugs when I travel, so no problems for me.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank batya410
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

My husband attended a class in Duluth this weekend which began at 8:00 a.m. My daughter and I came along hoping to enjoy a relaxing weekend. Friday night we endured the loud revelry of our young male neighbors who partied well after midnight. When we checked in we were informed of an 11:00 a.m. checkout time. I thought this was early considering how much we paid for the room. At 10:00 a.m. the next morning housekeeping began knocking on doors up and down the hallway. I hung our do not disturb sign on the door, but that didn't alleviate the noise of vacuuming next door.

My husband made coffee before leaving in the morning. About 20 minutes later I rose and poured a cup for myself then returned to bed and my book. Although the light was still on on the coffee pot, my cup of coffee was cold.

The bedding was nice with down comforters and one's choice of firm or down pillows. The mattress however sags in the middle and my husband and I woke with sore backs.

The room is tasteful and appears clean. However the carpet needs cleaning with a wet vac. The artwork is photos of Lake Superior tastefully framed. However, one of these photos has dismounted from its adhesive and hangs askew within the mat.

Our lakeview is beautiful. You can't argue with that.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

My son and I stayed at the Comfort Suites last weekend while we were in town for a hockey tournament and we were very happy with the hotel. We have traveled to the Duluth/Cloquet area for hockey for several years and this is by far the nicest hotel we have stayed at in the area. It was well worth the extra ten minutes to the rink.

The rooms are very, very nice. We had a large sitting area that opened to an outdoor large balcony. A little wet bar area to the left and a roomy, CLEAN, bathroom stocked with nice products. The living area had french doors that opened into a huge bedroom with two comfortable beds with 6 cozy pillows on each. We had two t.v.'s, a couch that opened to another bed, two dressers and two large closets. We could have comfortably fit our family of five.

All of the hockey families agreed that this was the nicest hotel we had ever stayed at for a tournament. As far as noise, they require that you are in your room at a reasonable hour and have security enforcing this. We never heard kids or noise while we were in our rooms.

The breakfast was good and the ladies preparing were very kind. We had to leave the hotel at 6:00 one morning and the gals setting up told me that they would come in early to have everything ready for the boys if we let them know we needed an early breakfast.

The location is right on the water across from Grandma's. Perfect spot for shopping and dinner. The exercise room is also very nice.

I am really very picky about hotels and I would not hesitate to highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank threekidsplustwo
Apple Valley, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

While we typically stay at the Inn on Lake Superior, we were very pleased with the suites with balcony in the new addition at this hotel.
Check-in was extremely fast, rooms very clean, comfortable beds, microwave and fridge. Room had two queen beds, a sofa sleeper, two chairs and foot stool. Also two nice wrought iron deck chairs and small table. Housekeeping was great during our two night stay and the hotel even mailed back a phone charger we left behind by accident at no cost. Good choice on breakfast items and grat kitchen staff that kept these items well stocked in spite of a large breakfast crowd. Fitness center had all True brand equipment. Only opportunities are a smaller pool (but two whirlpools!) and the breakfast area lacked enough open tables at 9am (too cold to go outside). We would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MDSAppleValley_MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel was a step above what I was expecting. The entry way was very inviting, pool area and patio were very relaxing and the rooms were clean and comfortable. They also had one of the best breakfast options (food and dining area) that I've ever had. There were great views of the lake. We got to see many ships come in. Plenty of things to do, all within walking distance. All in all, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank EagleEyes20
minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Nice Hotel on the waterfront. Very nice for early morning walks along the boardwalk. Free breakfast included and if the weather is nice you can eat outside. Can accomodate 6 in one room with 2 double beds and a pullout. BTW, the bed was very comfortable. Pillows were great.
Nice to be able to park your car at hotel and then forget about driving as you can walk to shops and restaurant. If you have a few drinks, no worries!
We noticed young families staying there, and others like us which was parents with 20 something children and grandchildren. Also alot of senior citizens staying. I think it would be a great place for seniors as it's a very easily accessible place. This was a perfect place for our family to get away and reconnect.
Only negative>>>Carpets need cleaned in foyers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family