“Great breakfast!”

Comfort Suites Canal Park
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We wanted to stay in a Hotel close to Canal Park in Duluth, MN so we chose the Comfort Suites. We liked that it was right on Lake Superior and a easy walk to Canal Park, food and shopping. We did not have a lake view room, but that was okay as we were only there one night and it was cool to see the Lift Bridge and the city lights from our window. The room was nice with 2 queen beds and a hide-a bed couch, so if you stay there with a small family you would have plenty of room. The breakfast was great! We stayed during the week, so there were probably less people than on a weekend. They served scrambled eggs, waffles, sausage, muffins, bagels, cold cereals and more. The breakfast staff was really friendly and very helpful, they were very accommodating to some guests who got up late and didn't make it to the breakfast area until after the 10:00 am cutoff time. We will probably stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tobejo
Laura O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I'm so glad that you enjoyed our breakfast! I'll be sure to pass your compliments to our kitchen staff--they work hard to make sure it is a pleasant experience for all of our guests. Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at Comfort Suites Canal Park and had a nice time. The lobby and breakfast areas are very pleasant. However, the room that we had is starting to show some wear and tear. It was wonderful to have a refrigerator and microwave in our room. The layout of the room was also great. Note to Management: The facial tissue and toilet tissue are like sandpaper. Please invest in higher quality tissue products.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2TravelersMn
Laura O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for your review! We are aware that some of our rooms in the main building are showing some wear, and are happy to announce that we are set to start some major renovations this coming week and can't wait to see the results. I'll be sure to mention to upper management regarding the tissue--I'm sorry to hear that it was uncomfortable! We hope that you'll come back and check out our renovations in a few months. Please let me know if I can help with any of your future travel plans!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Suites while attending a wedding at the DECC. The hotel was clean and comfortable. We splurged on a suite with a lake view, and it was well worth it. We watched ships coming into the harbor and just enjoyed the lake view. The location was ideal, as we were able to walk to the DECC and didn't have to worry about parking.

Sunday morning breakfast was very good, although extremely crowded. If they had not opened up an extra meeting room for seating, it would have been a problem.

Overall, it was a great place to stay and we will be back.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Laura O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thanks so much for your kind review of our hotel! I'm glad that you found the lake view to be worth it--we certainly love being able to see the ships come and go right outside our back door! Our breakfast area does get filled quickly when we are busy, and having the overflow meeting room as an option seems to work well; I'm glad that you found it to be helpful also. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I thought our rate was high for a Tuesday night but was willing to pay it for the lake view room that I booked. The view is great as expected, the bed is comfortable. However, we are so disappointed in the condition of the bathroom. I don't know if we were put on the old side of the building or what but the toilet keeps running. We have had to fix it multiple times, the sink is dirty and wear and tear old. The ice bucket tray is shabby with tears. Everything in the bathroom is old and outdated and dirty and I expected more for what I am paying. We are on the 3rd floor. (No balcony) Haven't had breakfast yet to give my thoughts on that but having to fix the toilet for the umpteenth time made me want to write my review now. As far as coming back, I am thinking that I should peruse the neighboring hotels in Canal park in the hopes of getting a nicer room for my money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie W
Laura O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. I'm so sorry to hear that you're disappointed with your room. We are looking forward to a major renovation of our bathrooms in the main building starting in a couple of weeks. It will include upgrading all of the bathroom fixtures, including tubs, sinks, etc. and are very excited to see the outcome! While this does not make up for the problems you've encountered during this stay, I'd like to invite you back to see the changes in hopes of regaining your confidence in our property. Please do not hesitate to contact our front desk staff at any time during your stay should something not be in working order--our maintenance team would be more than happy to resolve the problem for you. Again, please accept my apologies for this stay falling short of your expectations. We hope to see you on a return trip. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in your travel plans. Thank you!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Canal Park due to its proximity to the DECC as we were in Duluth to see Jerry Seinfeld perform. The location is very convenient to the DECC and the rest of Canal Park. However, for $200 on a Friday night, the price was a little steep for a basic hotel room. But that is the price one pays for convenience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Laura O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m sorry to hear that we did not “wow” you with our service, and left you feeling as though our hotel was only average. Our staff strives to provide a fantastic experience for all of our guests, and recognizes that our nightly rates are high due to our location. On your next trip to Duluth, I would highly recommend checking out VisitDuluth.com and clicking on the “hot deals” tab. There are some great coupons and specials offered through this site for hotels, restaurants, and attractions in the area. Please let me know if I can assist you in finding the best rate possible on your next stay. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to welcome you back to the Comfort Suites Canal Park soon!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had an amazing room with a view of Lake Superior that couldn't be beat. We were able to watch large ships exit the harbor right from the room. One of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed at with a staff that is very friendly. It was completely worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times and had the experience of watching the ore boats come into the harbor. The location can't be beat! The rooms have always been clean, in good repair and the beds have been comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms are hard to come by and pricey during the summer. Check directly with the hotel to see if th...